GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
A lot of excercises on here and in programs such as starting strength are based on using free weights, just practise the movement at home before going if you're unsure, or ask a personal trainer :) Exrx is a good website for checking form when lifting.

Associate
Hey there,

I started Gordy's plan today, nice work btw

Flat Bench Press – 3x8 20kg moderate/easy
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8 2x 9kg easy/moderate
Skull Crushers – 3x8 20kg two heavy dropped to 11kg and was moderate at 11kg
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8 20kg moderate/easy
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8 2x 9 kg moderate/hard
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8 2x 5kg moderate/hard
1.5m in 11:08

29 presses in 60 secs
44 situps in 60 seconds

Training for the Army by the way.

Was wondering how I should be feeling, so I know I've got the right amount of weight for the exercise? As I found some a bit easy, I also think I've got weak shoulders, or is it normal to do less weight there?

Drew

Soldato
In need of a bit of help here. Great sticky btw.

I've been going to the gym for over a month now and it's about time I get a routine going. I've had a look at the workout on the first page, but there's a little problem with my gym. Basically it's a small community sports centre rather than one of the franchises or a decent sized independent one, it's all I can really afford at the moment as I'm currently saving. I'll probably look at going to a more equipped gym later in the year after I've moved house (hence the saving :)).

The problem lies in that there is only 1 bench and it's in pretty much constant use with people swarmed around waiting to pounce on it as soon as it's free. So rather than waiting an hour, is there a decent beginner full body workout I could do without the use of a bench in my little gym?

I thought it might be a good idea to list what equipment we do have.

Dumbbells
Barbells (straight ones and a one with curves in, what's the difference? :))
Lat Pull
Shoulder Press
Chest Press
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Various cardio machines
Excercise ball-thingy mbob (I believe that's the techincal term for it)

My goals are to just bulk up a fair amount, I've no desire (atm anyway) to become really big over the years, but just to a moderate amount. I'm 6.0ft and around 10.5st, always been slim and at times skinny :).

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Soldato
Ok, thanks guys, much appreciated :).

I'll have a go altering that routine on page 1 with the exercise ball. Is it still recommended as a decent beginners workout?

Also I've noticed it's a bit quiet here, would it better to ask these questions in the gym rat thread? :)

Associate
First time posting in this section, usually it's in MM or hardware. :)

Read through the whole guide on the first page and as a starter for myself, I am using the 3 day workout that you've used an example.
Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Chin Ups 3x8 (Or Lat pull downs if you can’t do chins yet)
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)

However, I was wondering if anyone could give me other suggestions for wednesday and possibly monday too.

My problem with wednesday is that there is too much Bicep work and not enough back work for me... I find myself really struggling with the barbell curls and I have to drop the weight down to finish the sets. I actually well over did this the second week I tried it and had a week off last week to recover my arms. :S So I wanted to see what you guys would suggest in order to split it up and have less on my biceps? Deadlifts I find awkward but i'm really trying to focus on my form for them!

Mondays there isn't enough Shoulders I don't think, but the rest of it almost follows through to shoulders so it works for the most part.

Friday I'm undecided about. :)

I look forward to hearing your inputs. =)

Man of Honour
:confused:

Had a week off to recover your arms? Just don't do arm work that week.

The routine is fine. You need to give it some time to get used to it. If you want more shoulder work then do another set on dbell press, maybe with a lighter weight for more reps.

Associate
Well, I may have missed that I'd pulled the muscles, from my OP. I couldn't extend either arm out straight and I didn't have a HUGE amount of movement in any form of circle as my shoulder blade muscles (Not 100% sure on name... Delts?) were also in pain. This meant I couldn't do any upper body. I went running etc. still.

Man of Honour
Well, I may have missed that I'd pulled the muscles, from my OP. I couldn't extend either arm out straight and I didn't have a HUGE amount of movement in any form of circle as my shoulder blade muscles (Not 100% sure on name... Delts?) were also in pain. This meant I couldn't do any upper body. I went running etc. still.

That, my good man, is DOMS, not a pulled muscle :)

Seriously, you'd definitely know about a pulled muscle and it would take more than a week to heal. DOMS (delayed onset muscular soreness) is very common in muscles that you haven't used properly for a while. Believe it or not the best cure for DOMS is to use the muscle again. It isn't an injury and you won't do yourself any harm.

Stick with it mate :)

Associate
That would make more sense then, as it didn't kick in until thursday evening/friday morning. Have been wondering what DOMS actually meant. In that case, I'll continue with the current set up and knock the weight down a little for more reps... or to be able to finish the session. :)

Also, when are the best times to drink protein shakes? I just got a 1kg tub of whey protein and before that I was using some old stuff we had in the house. I was generally having 1 in the morning, workout at midday, then 1 straight after training. When I bought this new tub, I also bought a plastic drink container from Holland & Barratt, and I took a shake with me to the gym on monday, but tbh... it made me feel a bit ill drinking it whilst working out. Whereas drinking it AFTER working out felt good. What do you guys do? Drink a shake during AND after? drink after? Drink during?
I like to have a Tuna/mayo sandwich as my meal after, or some cooked chicken with a little bit of mayo so it's not completely dry.

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question; I do Chest/Legs/Back split over a week and I usually hit my chest pretty hard during chest day and find it impossible to do a decent weight bench/incline/military (all dumbell press) in a single session due to my triceps being knackered.

I can get 3 decent sets out on the first 2, by which time I'm knackered.

Will it affect my tricep gains to stick military press + shoulders in on say the Back day (meaning minimum 4 days since the Chest session)?

Or should I maybe switch to barbell press as I believe (maybe entirely incorrectly) that it works your triceps less.

Cheers

Soldato
I'd definitely have chest and shoulders on different days, I find it impossible to work them both fully if they're stuck together.

I also find I get less tricep activation on dumbbell bench press, but then I always keep them wide throughout the ROM and focus on pushing my elbows up and in on the press rather than pushing the weight up. You might have to drop the weight a fair bit if you're used to bringing the dumbbells together at the end of each rep, but since it's in between a dumbbell fly and dumbbell press movement you should get more pec and less tri activation.

Associate
Quick question, I'm going to start training soon, preferably at a gym.

However, a couple of years ago I tried to do the 100 pushups course, and I must have had bad form or something because after a few weeks my elbows started clicking, so I stopped.

I tested last night, and if I do any triceps exercise (IE pushups) which involves bending my elbows fully, my elbows click.
It doesn't exactly hurt, but it's audible and it doesn't feel nice at all.
It feels like something is coming out of place.

Any ideas or exercises which might help?
I hate kickbacks, but I can do them fine as they don't involve full elbow motion.

Associate
Just spent an hour only reading some of this thread! Very useful! Started the gym about 3 weeks ago and have been sort-of tutored by one of my mates and following his routine which is going good so far. +3/4 stone in 3 weeks :p

Back
Top Bottom