GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Caporegime
Absolutely great post GordyR, ive been training for the past 3 weeks and havent really noticed much of a change in me :( but then looking over your guide, i think im going about it the wrong way. Hopefully this week im going to be more dedicated to my workout plan :).

5*'s from me

Associate
^^^

Spawn, a three week period is a very short space of time in the realms of weight training. You expectations may need re evaluating.

However, if you follow Gordy's guide you wont go far wrong! Top marks to him for taking the time and effort to produce a guide.

Caporegime
DuncanK said:
^^^

Spawn, a three week period is a very short space of time in the realms of weight training. You expectations may need re evaluating.

However, if you follow Gordy's guide you wont go far wrong! Top marks to him for taking the time and effort to produce a guide.

Yeh i know mate :p, actually most of it is my fault...really havent been paying much attention to my training lately. Laziness and work committments are distracting me lol but this week im hoping to get back on track:).

Soldato
Nice post Gordy.
Very useful and it backs up stuff I was already doing and now I know I'm doing it the right way, although I havent noticed all that much gain strengthwise and muscle bulk wise.
So here comes a quickie for you:

Is bodybuilding/ power lifting/ doing heavy weights bad for you whilst still growing??
Also is it possible to overtrain and does that cause excessive tiredness during the day and perhaps mild insomnia??

Thanks
Voltar

Soldato
OP
Voltar said:
Nice post Gordy.
Very useful and it backs up stuff I was already doing and now I know I'm doing it the right way, although I havent noticed all that much gain strengthwise and muscle bulk wise.

Thanks mate... Much appreciated. :)

Voltar said:
Is bodybuilding/ power lifting/ doing heavy weights bad for you whilst still growing??

I am not a doctor and do not pretend to have a definitive answer to this question. But it seems almost all doctors now agree that it is not damaging in any way. The old myth "lifting weights will stunt your growth" also appears to be nothing more than an old-wives tale. So to put it plainly... Modern research suggests that it is absolutely fine to lift heavy weights while growing. Many even suggest that it can have certain benefits to ones bone density among other things.

Voltar said:
Also is it possible to overtrain and does that cause excessive tiredness during the day and perhaps mild insomnia??

Absolutely... Overtraining can occur for many reasons, here are some of the more important ones to be aware of:-

1. Lack of rest/sleep.
2. Lack of nutrition.
3. Too frequent training (Particularly if lifting heavily)

Remember when lifting heavily you will be causing intentional damage to your muscles and putting strain on your central nervous system. Given rest, the muscles will then repair and after that begin to grow (assuming you have fed them well enough). If you exercise them too frequently they will not be given a chance to grow or indeed to repair. This is the most common cause of overtraining.

Excessive fatigue and mild insomnia are both associated with overtraining. It can also eventually lead to muscle loss since the muscles are not given enough time to repair let alone grow.

If you are experiencing such symptoms I would recommend a sort of deconditioning period to allow your body to recover. Take two weeks off from training and try to eat and sleep well. Then begin a new routine, one less likely to induce over training.

Soldato
Thanks Gordy. I was experiencing this when I first started out when I was doing 8-10hrs a week. But in Jan-Mar I did a lot less and found I wasnt tired again.
But now I'm back to normal and I wont do more than 7hrs a week now.
And it doesnt matter if it stunts my growth as thats probably a good thing as I'm 17 and approaching 6'5 and not lanky at all...

Do you believe in stretching before warming up or stretching at all as some of my mates reckon that there's no point of doing it- but I dont think so I think its vital.

Also how long have you been training for?

I was wondering how I could make my shoulders grow quickly- the bit on the top from your neck to where the shoulder joins the arm.
at the moment I do a number of things for it with free weights, three different ones to be exact, and I use a shoulder press machine from time to time...
do you have any tips??
cheers
Voltar

oh, and qhat do you think of Creatine??

Soldato
I'd like to ask a question too.

I only have wednesdays and fridays available for gym time. At the moment I do a full body workout (e.g. legs,back,chest,arms) on each of those days because I read on exrx.net that for beginners, 2 full body workouts per week are ideal. However, I'm finding that friday is a little too close to fully recover and I am struggling to lift the same let alone more than on the wednesday.

How would you recommend I split my workout given I only have these two days to train?

Soldato
Shamrock said:

I only have wednesdays and fridays available for gym time. At the moment I do a full body workout (e.g. legs,back,chest,arms) on each of those days because I read on exrx.net that for beginners, 2 full body workouts per week are ideal. However, I'm finding that friday is a little too close to fully recover and I am struggling to lift the same let alone more than on the wednesday.

How would you recommend I split my workout given I only have these two days to train?

Hi,

How about Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Abs on wednesday and Back/Biceps/Legs on Fridays? That way you get all your push exercises on one day, all your pull exercises on another.

Wednesday:

DB Bench Press
DB Shoulder Press (alternate these two every other week)
Dips
Side & front raises
Abs
Tricep press down/skull crushers
Close grip press up (for fun ;))

Friday:

Squats
Wide arm pull ups
Deadlifts
Single arm row
Leg extentions & Leg curls
DB bicep curls
Close grip pull ups

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Voltar said:
Thanks Gordy. I was experiencing this when I first started out when I was doing 8-10hrs a week. But in Jan-Mar I did a lot less and found I wasnt tired again.
But now I'm back to normal and I wont do more than 7hrs a week now.

Is that 7 hours lifting weights per week? Or is that including other gym activities like cardio? The reason I ask is that 7 hours a week is probably still a bit overkill and could therefore still result in over training. The length of each weight lifting workout should be around 1 hour ideally (some people do like to do a little more though). And if you do a 4-day split then thats only 4 hours per week. Which is more than enough to grow at a good rate.

Having said all this everyone is different. If it works for you then stick with it. I think most people would overtrain working out that much though.

Voltar said:
Do you believe in stretching before warming up or stretching at all as some of my mates reckon that there's no point of doing it- but I dont think so I think its vital.

While I don't think it is neccassary, I do believe in stretching. I wouldn't say it is vital for growth but I do like to stretch my muscles somewhat before working out.

Voltar said:
Also how long have you been training for?

I have only been training seriously for about 4-5 years so I am by no means a veteran. Over those years I have spent a lot of time researching the science behind bodybuilding/dieting and obviously my girlfriends profession has really helped me gain a new perspective on some aspects.

Voltar said:
I was wondering how I could make my shoulders grow quickly- the bit on the top from your neck to where the shoulder joins the arm.
at the moment I do a number of things for it with free weights, three different ones to be exact, and I use a shoulder press machine from time to time...
do you have any tips??

Post your exact shoulder routine (and how many times per week you do it) And i'll see where the problem lies. Your lack of growth in that area could be directly related to your overtraining. Remember benching and all it's variants hit the shoulders aswell so it could be you are seriously over training them.

Regardless... Although I don't personally do shrugs, a lot of people have good results with them for the muscles you want to grow. Anyway... Post up your routine and i'll see what I can do.

Voltar said:
oh, and qhat do you think of Creatine??

Personally I'm not a fan of it. There are millions around the world who swear by it however so by all means try it and see if it works for you. I believe getting your diet right is far more important than any supplement, creatine, or otherwise. Remember when you take creatine your muscles will hold more water than usual, this will likely give them the appearance of being larger than they really are. Don't confuse this muscle "bloating" with real growth.

Soldato
OP
Shamrock said:

MTA99's advice is spot on there mate... The best thing you could do in your situation is split it up into a push/pull routine exactly as he suggested. Alternatively try an Upper Body/Lower Body split. This works very well for some.

Soldato
GordyR said:
Is that 7 hours lifting weights per week? Or is that including other gym activities like cardio?

No. It includes cardio as well I usually do 60/40 cardio/weights or more depending on what I've already done that week. So more like 3-4 weights per week.

GordyR said:
Post your exact shoulder routine (and how many times per week you do it) gardless... Although I don't personally do shrugs, a lot of people have good results with them.

Ok. So when i want to do shoulders I do a number of things (I might have different names for them though)
1. bench press @63.5kgs (have done nout for three weeks before this week) 3x8

2. Jugs. using a 5kg DB I pull my arms up whilst they are straight and then bring them over my head and "pour the jug" that is rotate the DB bringing it in front and above my head, have to bend my arms at the top. Easier done than explained. 3x12

3. Using a 7.5kg/10kg DB bring my straight arm up, rather like a facist salute. Without moving my body. 3x15

4. Shoulder press @ 60/65kg. 3x10

5. dont know what this is called or how to explain it, but you sit down and have some DB's @7.5kg and then arms bent halfway elbows at the same level as you waist say, and then bring it up and rotate hands at the top. have only recently started using this one. 3x8

GordyR said:
Don't confuse this muscle "bloating" with real growth.

So how does creatine work then as I thought that it was a pill which contained creatine monosulphate/hydrate which is the naturally occuring energy in the muscles and it therefore makes you able to go for a little longer.

Cheers
Voltar

Soldato
OP
Voltar said:
No. It includes cardio as well I usually do 60/40 cardio/weights or more depending on what I've already done that week. So more like 3-4 weights per week.

Ok no problem there then, just wanted to check. :)

Voltar said:
1. bench press @63.5kgs (have done nout for three weeks before this week) 3x8

2. Jugs. using a 5kg DB I pull my arms up whilst they are straight and then bring them over my head and "pour the jug" that is rotate the DB bringing it in front and above my head, have to bend my arms at the top. Easier done than explained. 3x12

3. Using a 7.5kg/10kg DB bring my straight arm up, rather like a facist salute. Without moving my body. 3x15

4. Shoulder press @ 60/65kg. 3x10

5. dont know what this is called or how to explain it, but you sit down and have some DB's @7.5kg and then arms bent halfway elbows at the same level as you waist say, and then bring it up and rotate hands at the top. have only recently started using this one. 3x8

That sounds like quite a lot of work purely on your shoulders mate. Since it doesn't seem to be working for you I would suggest you do a bit less but go as heavy as you can for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Aswell as bench try the following routine for shoulders:-

Behind neck Shoulder Press/standard shoulder press - 3x8 (As heavy as you can go for the last set)
Dumbell Lateral Raises - 3x10
Dumbell/Barbell Shrugs - 3x10 (Should help target the part of the muscle you said you would like to grow)

Give that a go and see how you get on. You could also maybe try some upright rows in place of the raises. Personally I would only do 9 sets absolute maximum on shoulders alone. You could probably get away with six.

Voltar said:
So how does creatine work then as I thought that it was a pill which contained creatine monosulphate/hydrate which is the naturally occuring energy in the muscles and it therefore makes you able to go for a little longer.

Creatine comes is three forms; pill, powder, and serum (liquid creatine). Essentially it increases the volume of water in your muscles and allows more nutrients to get in. This is why people tend to look quite a bit larger than they actually are after loading with creatine. Also it acts as a kind of buffer for ATP. In laymans terms it can increase ones strength and allow you to work harder in your workout that you would be able to otherwise.

As I said personally I don't use it... Although I have done in the past. I saw no significant increase in gains while I was on creatine so stopped using it. I really don't think it is neccassary. But by all means give it a go if you wish. It might work out better for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for the advice Gordy.

I have never actually thought of behind neck shoulder presses before, and never actually used them- I'll give them a try tomorrow maybe.

So you think increasing the weights but doing less is better for what I want??
Let me get this straight you reckon that using heavier weights will increase size quicker?

So say increase whatever exercise it is to go nearer to my max weight and then only do 3x3 or something like that which will increase size more??

Soldato
OP
I threw the behind neck presses in there just to change up what you were doing a little. It's good to not get too stale by doing the same exercises constantly. You might not feel behind-neck presses suit you too well, if so stick with normal ones. Just thought it might be something worth trying. I have had good results doing them with a barbell but a lot of people don't get on with them.

As for lifting heavier. I definately feel less sets/more weight is the way to go... Up to a point. Try to concentrate on upping your weight as often as possible, but don't lower the reps in each set. When you can manage say 8 reps with very good form then up the weight a tiny bit the next time you workout.

Theres no need to drop your reps as low as 3 as you suggested. Still keep them in the 7-10 range. But as I say try to go as heavy as you can and concentrate on getting more weight on over time.

Progressive resistance is key when it comes to building muscle. Keep piling the weight on. :)

Associate
Military Press and Arnold Press are two other shoulder exercises i'd recommend I've had good results with both search Google. Defo try Shrugs as mentioned earlier. Lift heavy. Creatine is unnessecary, diet is everything. Good guide Gordy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
chompaz said:
Military Press and Arnold Press are two other shoulder exercises i'd recommend I've had good results with both search Google. Defo try Shrugs as mentioned earlier. Lift heavy. Creatine is unnessecary, diet is everything. Good guide Gordy.

Agreed, Military Press has been the staple of my shoulder routine for quite some time now. Definately my favourite shoulder exercise.

I think in general Voltar just needs to decrease his volume and up the intensity.

Soldato
Hi

My view is *slightly* different from Gordys........

A big man once said to me "**** form, whack the weight on!"

This simple piece of advice is absolute gold! Perfect form is all well and good but if i press 45kgs DB to elbows square and no lower that’s not "perfect form" but the fact that it’s heavy means that my form on a lower weight will increase because I’ve got power in reserve. Hope that makes sense.

I try to train for 3x8, once I reach that I’ll up the weight and try for 3x8 again. 99% of the time it’s more like 8-6-6 but it’s a heavier weight and something to aim for next time.

Now the disclaimer............!

I always train with a mate to spot me so that if my form gets too bad he can give me a little boost to avoid an accident or more importantly an injury. I've never injured myself in the gym (although I have torn some muscles doing stupid stuff like getting out of bed! :eek: ) so you have to use a certain amount of intelligence.

Another tip that hasn't been mentioned:

Once every 3-4 weeks try an overload set. Best done on a smith machine (for safety), put 20-30% more weight on the bar than your usual maximum. Then lift the bar off the stops and make a very small movement 6-8 times. The idea is that your major muscles aren't able to move the weight thru a full rep but they can hold it in a fairly static position. The benefit is in the support muscles, which should be (relatively) stronger than the major muscles. Next time you do a normal movement you should have more control and confidence. Do these overload sets at the end of a session DO NOT attempt anything after them - you'll collapse like a girl! ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
You may get away with whacking on the weight on your bb curls and using poor form swinging your body all about to get the bar up, but when it comes down to exercises such as deadlifts (or other varieties of deads), you're taking a big risk and sooner or later it's bye bye back. It just doesn't really do you any real favours in having poor form.

I train without a partner hence no spotter, so I have no choice but to get my form bang on (not perfect but who is ;)), even if the weight im using isn't amazing. That will go up over time, and i'll much rather train at a consistant rate each week, then train for a month then take a few weeks out due to injury.

KISS :D (by that i don't mean im hitting on you!!)

Back
Top Bottom