GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
OP
Goatboy said:
Creatine isn't stable in liquid so don't even bother looking into that.

Yeah I should have said... Creatine in that form is completely useless. Was just trying to give him a bit of info on Creatine in general though. :)

Soldato
OP
^^ Good points MTA99. "Cheat-reps" certainly have their place. Particularly when curling. But as Kaka said, you really can't get away with it on all your lifts.

Soldato
Kaka said:
You may get away with whacking on the weight on your bb curls and using poor form swinging your body all about to get the bar up.....
GordyR said:
^^ Good points MTA99. "Cheat-reps" certainly have their place. Particularly when curling. But as Kaka said, you really can't get away with it on all your lifts.

You implying i'm a bicep boy?! For the record i'm a tricep trevor! ;)

Kaka said:
.......when it comes down to exercises such as deadlifts (or other varieties of deads), you're taking a big risk and sooner or later it's bye bye back. It just doesn't really do you any real favours in having poor form.

Oh absolutly hence why you need to use your head. I don't see the danger in shoulder press, bench press etc.

Kaka said:
I train without a partner hence no spotter.......
If you did you'd be able to lift more! :D

Cheers

Associate
Everyone loves a bicep boy though, corr look at that buldge! :D
Ok, I knew you wouldn't really cheat in deads etc, but the mentality of cheating in other areas has its tendancies to carry over. Plus why risk an injury to yourself?

Soldato
Kaka said:
Everyone loves a bicep boy though, corr look at that buldge! :D
Ok, I knew you wouldn't really cheat in deads etc, but the mentality of cheating in other areas has its tendancies to carry over. Plus why risk an injury to yourself?

I don't see it as cheating - cheating is dropping reps or sets, *modifying* the movement isn't. :p

Like i said i have never injured myself in the gym.....well apart from when i dropped a 20kg plate on my finger and bust it open! :rolleyes:

To clarify, with my buddy, I can do DB bench press with 45kgs DB taking my arms down to square (i need him to help me lift them off my chest for the first rep). If i was on my own or training with "perfect form" i'd have to drop to 40's (or 37.5's ;)). Thats not to say I never use perfect form just i feel that the first exercise on any session should be a *heavy* compound move. Its important to have a full range of movement.

Cheers

Soldato
GordyR said:
I think in general Voltar just needs to decrease his volume and up the intensity.

I think that you may have the wrong impression Gordy as the intensity of my workouts are most definately there, no pain no gain literally- I push myself as hard as I can when I get to the gym. But that's not what you were implying I think.

What I probably should have said is that I'm also powertraining- trying to add more strength and power, as well as building my muscles as I need to get stronger.

I agree with much said here already, and already do much of it anyway like having a spotter and moving the wieghts up frequently.

will post again later or will be late

cheers Voltar

Soldato
OP
Voltar said:
I think that you may have the wrong impression Gordy as the intensity of my workouts are most definately there, no pain no gain literally- I push myself as hard as I can when I get to the gym. But that's not what you were implying I think.

Of course mate, it is sometimes difficult to understand what someone is describing purely from a forum post. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't training at high intensity already, just that you might find it beneficial to slightly lower the volume and work on increasing that intensity even further. I hope that makes some sense. :)

Voltar said:
What I probably should have said is that I'm also powertraining- trying to add more strength and power, as well as building my muscles as I need to get stronger.

In that case some very heavy low rep sets would be extremely beneficial for you. Give it a go!

Good luck dude, and keep us informed of your progress.

Soldato
ok. well it doesnt really matter anyway.
Yeah of course I'll keep you all informed.

Another wierd thing is that the outside of my biceps are really big, yet there is nothing on the inside really, so when tensed across my body, not squashing it against my chest it looks big, but when I hold it out and tense its really quite small, and I also have no real strength on certain bicep exercises which is really odd. I used to love ez bars and still do them predominantly. Why is this?? or am I just imagining things??

How heavy is very heavy? As in my max weight, which is what I'm doing at the moment for the machine based exercises and perhaps on the bench press as well. I'm still not sure.

I also wondered how often you put the weight up? I put it up every 4/5 sessions by 5kg if I can. Usually its only 3 though on the bench.

Incidentally it has been taking me a very long time to get better at the bench when I was 16 when I started serious training I could do say 40kg but now after almost a year I can only do 65kg 8x3?? I dont train in school holidays though... But still it takes a long time for me to move up by say 10kg like almost a month and a half... Any suggestions??

Cheers
Voltar

Soldato
MTA99 said:
I don't see it as cheating

The techniques you described are not cheating.

Partial reps are used by most powerlifters at somepoint to strengthen sticking points and other weaknesses in their lift (eg rack pulls, board presses, etc)
Also lift offs are often done to get the body accustomed to higher weights, eg with the squat, putting a weight 10-20% more than you max on the bar and just unracking it and standing there for 10-15 seconds and then re-racking it.

Soldato
Gordy, tried the shrugs on saturday, and they were great :D
I think that I probably should have been doing them all along as they are actually making where I want to grow work, so I'm pleased.
I will raise my bench to 65kg tomorrow...should be interesting.

thanks for advice.
Voltar

Soldato
OP
Voltar said:
Gordy, tried the shrugs on saturday, and they were great :D
I think that I probably should have been doing them all along as they are actually making where I want to grow work, so I'm pleased.
I will raise my bench to 65kg tomorrow...should be interesting.

thanks for advice.
Voltar

Good stuff mate. Shrugs will definately hit the area you wanted. Looks like its working for you. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the guide. I've just joined our local gym and i'm intending to firstly get fit again, then pack on a bit of muscle if possible. I'm about 5' 8", but weigh around 9 stone 4lbs.
Problem is i'm not a big eater, so when I hear people eating a huge breakfast, then snack, then lunch, then snack, then dinner then snack I tend to get a bit scared off the idea.

I love steak and fish so dinner is not a huge problem. Where I work they have a decent salad bar with cold salmon fillets and chicken breasts, as well as stuff like baked potatoes. So lunch can be sorted.

But for breakfast I usually only manage a bowl of cereal, or a couple of rounds of toast, although at the weekend I usually go for some poached eggs and bacon in the morning.

So basically I need to find ways of having high carb, high protein snacks during the day. I don't want to go down the protein powder route, so any good ideas? Ta! :D

Associate
Whats wrong with the protein powder route?

If you are having difficulty eating enough, as you say you are it is a convenient way to supplement your diet!

Soldato
From what i know there are no 'downsides' from protein shakes. Some people are lactose intolarant and can't have to much milk but apart from that they are fine. Its just extra protein thats it, with some sweetners and colouring. Many have added vitamins and minerals.

As for brands they are in essence very similar. a lot of people on here rate 'reflex' highly but at your level i doubt it will matter very much as to what brand you go with. Buy a small tub first if you are unsure and try it out.

Associate
If you are quick and hurry down to a local Holland & Barratt they currently have their better than halfprice sale on which runs until thurs night i think.

A 908g tub can be had for around a tenner at the moment

Back
Top Bottom