GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
I'm also interested in the answer to the question above. ^^ I find my biceps never ache no matter what, but my triceps ache after each session.

On a different matter, when benching is changing the angle necessary? Would I benefit more from 3x8 flat and 3x8 incline as opposed to just 6x8 on flat?

Soldato
Gadge said:
maybe someone can help here, in the gym today i was bench pressing amongst other things, i consider myself to have bigger arms than my training buddies but they where pushing out more than me. Felt like my arms (left) was giving in rather than my chest.
Is this down to having long forearms (because i have!) or a lack of somthin in my body?

thanks for any advice

Look where they hold the bar and the angle it makes at the elbow when they press. If your arms are longer but you hold the bar in the same place, you'll be pushing more with your arms than your chest. Try to modify your grip such that you form the same angle, then you'll be on a level playing field.

If they still beat you - train harder!!!! ;)

Soldato
OP
Stoddy said:
Is it a myth that if your muscles don't ache or feel sore the day after you train that you didn't work hard enough? I did an abs workout yesterday and I thought I had trained quite hard but don't ache or feel sore this morning so am not sure now if I gained anything or not. Cracking guide by the way :)

Although I have to admit to loving at least mild DOMS for a day or two after a good workout it is certainly not important.

Like many others I rarely get any form of soreness in my biceps/abs and they have grown just fine. When you first start training a particular muscle group you will definately experience some sort of soreness for a couple of days afterwards as long as you are training hard enough. After continous training however, that soreness tends to get less and less and for some it completely dissapears.

So in general, lack of DOMS or soreness does not mean you are not growing. It is still possible you are not training hard enough but your level of soreness or lack of, should not be considered when making that judgement.

Associate
Great thread here. Adam I am in awe! I wish I could mimic your achievements over the next few months. I just got home from uni and want to get down the gym. I have some questions:

- How do you increase your calorific intake? If I try and eat more than I usually do (which is probably <2000 calories) I just feel like vomiting to be honest. It's incredibly frustrating.

- Do you plan meals ahead?

- I feel stuck in a chicken/egg situation. I am pretty inert in terms of physical exercise, so I don't want to get active if I'm not feeding myself properly, but I probably won't be able to stomach the extra food until my body starts to need it! That make sense?

- Is a bench and free weights at home a viable alternative to the gym?

- What are your thoughts on weights machines? I've read mixed reports, some people say they are a good safe way of training, others say they are useless and free weights all the way.

- If I am desperate to bulk up (only 10.5 stone and 6'4") should I stay off the cardio work altogether?

I think that's about all the questions I have at this time. Thanks for the great advice and thanks in advance if any of you guys can give me some insights regarding these q's.

James

Soldato
OP
hp01jpc said:
- How do you increase your calorific intake? If I try and eat more than I usually do (which is probably <2000 calories) I just feel like vomiting to be honest. It's incredibly frustrating.

Try increasing your daily intake gradually. Add 100 calories per day until you reach your optimum calorie level for bulking. If you are eating the correct foods (not fatty fast food) then it isn't too difficult to eat a lot once you get used to it.

hp01jpc said:
Do you plan meals ahead?

As much as possible yes. But obviously it doesn't always work out that way.

hp01jpc said:
I feel stuck in a chicken/egg situation. I am pretty inert in terms of physical exercise, so I don't want to get active if I'm not feeding myself properly, but I probably won't be able to stomach the extra food until my body starts to need it! That make sense?

Start working out the same day that you begin to increase your calories. Just don't expect to gain much until you have managed to get your calorie level up to a decent level.

hp01jpc said:
Is a bench and free weights at home a viable alternative to the gym?

It's fine to start with. But unless you have a lot of money to spend on a lot of good equipment you will eventually find yourself needing more. In which case using a good gym becomes the best option.

hp01jpc said:
What are your thoughts on weights machines? I've read mixed reports, some people say they are a good safe way of training, others say they are useless and free weights all the way.

On almost all occasions free weights are superior. There are however certain exercises where the use of machines can be beneficial. These are few and far between however. Given the choice, use free weights.

hp01jpc said:
- If I am desperate to bulk up (only 10.5 stone and 6'4") should I stay off the cardio work altogether?

In my opinion yes.

Associate
Gordy - thanks. I will keep you informed with regard to my progress.

I just been into town, and there are only really two gyms available. One is deifnately more geared up to cardio work, which leaves just the one. Another thing that I was wondering about was supplements. I have tried protein shakes before, and to be honest I thought it was vile. But I could have picked a bad one, and they might be better these days. I'm not really fussed about stuff like creatine, but I reckon a whey based milkshake concoction could help me up my calorie intake and get some decent protein into my diet. Do you reckon I should get some stuff immediately, or wait until I'm settled into a routine?

Thanks again.

Soldato
hp01jpc said:
Gordy - thanks. I will keep you informed with regard to my progress.

I just been into town, and there are only really two gyms available. One is deifnately more geared up to cardio work, which leaves just the one. Another thing that I was wondering about was supplements. I have tried protein shakes before, and to be honest I thought it was vile. But I could have picked a bad one, and they might be better these days. I'm not really fussed about stuff like creatine, but I reckon a whey based milkshake concoction could help me up my calorie intake and get some decent protein into my diet. Do you reckon I should get some stuff immediately, or wait until I'm settled into a routine?

Thanks again.

There are an abundance of what I call 'Girly gyms' in towns and cities all over the world. They are usually either nationwide or worldwide chains of gym full of running machines infront massive window walls creating a goldfish bowl effect. Usually these gyms are full of machines, lack decent free weight equipment and have a massive turnover of customers. This is because most people go to these gyms, wanting to trim down or build muscle or whatever, but they don't know what they're doing. Then the wonder why their body hasn't changed after 4 months. They then leave. Hence the high turnover.

You need to find the gym in town where all the bouncers and doormen go to workout. These gyms are usually the basement-blood, sweat and tears type. Don't shy away, this is exactly what you want. These gyms maybe be incredible imitating at first (my gym is full of chavs). But after a while you realise most people are there to work hard.

Visit gyms and get a quick tour. Make sure there is at least a chinning bar, a power rack or a squat rack and a good selection of dumbells.

Protein shakes are generally minging. However, a lot of people come up with their own concotions to disguise the taste. You want whey protein concentrate, get 75 or 80%. You can purchase here : www.myprotein.co.uk

Whey concentrate 80 is what I use. Its definately drinkable on its own mixed with milk or water but I tend to mix it with nesquick or blend it with rasperrys or something. 75 is a lot more minging, but again the taste can be disguised. Anyways, if you want to get big, you have to make some sacrifices.

Just start at a gym and your diet whenever you can. I'm still struggling with my diet. I still cannot get round to sorting out a 30 day plan. There is so much nutrient counting to be done. But aslong as you are eating 5-6 meals a day filled with lots of proteina nd lots of carbs and low fat, then you will grow.

Try and shoot for around 1.5-2g of protein per lb of your bodyweight, 3g of carbs and .5g of fat per day.

Soldato
hp01jpc said:
Thanks Tweek.

How much progress have you made?

No worries.

I'm a month into bulking. I never weighed myself when I started but I knew I was around 145-150lbs, I'm now 155lbs or 70kgs. So I'm definately putting on weight. Not that much physical difference in my body yet, but then there wouldn't be after 4 weeks. I aim to get up to 185lbs by next June.

Watch this space. :)

Associate
That's a really open question, but from what I've read, if you make the necessary changes to your diet (i.e. drastically increase your calorific intake) and get down the gym 3 times a week lifting heavy weights, some people see improvements after 3 weeks.

Soldato
Yeah, once you start hitting the gym you'll tighten up a lot and muscle growth can be quite obvious.

However, the time it takes for your whole body to change and get bigger is a long process. Gaining weight takes months and dramatic changes will only come over years. Try and look 5 years ahead of now. Imagine if you can keep bodybuilding for 5 years straight. Chances are that if you do, you'll be a hell of a lot different than you are now. Thats why you should be in this for the longrun. You should look at it like a lifestyle rather than something temporary to make you look good.

Soldato
At the moment I weight about 1 stone more than I'd like to (around 14 1/2, 6ft), and I view myself as being slightly unfit. Within the time frame of around 3 months, it would be my aim to shift this weight, and become fitter, and ideally stronger, in preparation for possibly joining the forces.

Would the best way to go about this be to go for Atkins or similar to shift the weight, while doing mostly cardio and some compound exercises, and then when I've reached my target weight, eat a normal calorie intake (as I wouldn't want to bulk), while increasing the amount of compound exercises I do? Or would it be best to go for a full on muscle building program (like in the original post, with the splits) while still in ketosis?

Soldato
i'm curious. I want to build mussle mass, but is a split routine like this enough for me. The muscle groups are only being worked once a week e.g chest only worked monday etc..

I was told that by leaving it so long in between working a particular muscle group, it would have been damaged, by the work out, healed (stonger) but already start to decline before its next workout.

due to this, at the moment i am doing the same workout 3 times per week. (due to change now though as i'm going to try a split programe)

What are you thoughts on this?

Associate
I do my weights Monday/Wednesday/Friday, I do some cardio on the Tuesday, can I do cardio on the same day as my weights or would it be best just to keep them seperate?

Soldato
I do a full body workout for a couple of hours about 3 times a week. Seems to be working for me, i'm definatly getting fitter than I was previously, I lift heavier weights than I could before, i've increased the levels I use on the rower, bike etc.

Associate
Tweek_1984 said:
Fantastic progress Adam!

Has anyone else bought this Gaining Mass package? Is it worth it? I've already got beyond brawn and arnolds encylopedia. Bot sure whether that package would provide me with any new info.

Is it worth it? Well, I'd say it's only worth it if you have a burning desire to improve your body. Save your money if you only want to make a half arsed attempt at it.

To give you an idea there were 72 new users that entered the gaining mass contest on the private forums. Out of those 72 only 9 (12.5%) finished it and posted their results. Out of them 9, I came second in that contest.

Although it is a physical development program it will probably change your life. Maybe it will also push you to develop yourself mentally as well. The only two things that stay with us our whole lives; our bodies and minds.

It isn't easy, but then great achievements never are.

Associate
Currently weigh in at 177lbs 9% bodyfat, I reached 185lbs 12% bodyfat a few weeks ago, but now I'm on a strict fatloss diet. I'll get some pictures up when I've finished my fatloss (4th September) and show you how I've progressed - not too much bigger, but a lot leaner.

Back
Top Bottom