GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
Signed up for a gym in London today to use whilst I'm at university. It's the Livingwell in Russell Square, and thankfully when I went today there weren't too many people in the weights room which is a problem I was having at my previous gym and no equipment ever being free.

I've also managed to get my mate to sign up and we've arranged to go 3 times a week and work on it together which I feel will benefit me greatly :D

One thing I need is some advice on an easy snack I can make at home and bring in to university to keep my protein intake high. I'm going to leave my box of protein at my mates halls so I can have a drink after exercising, yet I can't have that as every meal when I'm at uni obviously.

Soldato
Need a bit of help...

Im 14 and i want to put some muscle on.

I started 2 weeks ago - pressups every night (10 a night) and now ive read this guide ive been overtraining my muscles if ive read correctley.

Today, i done 3x8 (8 pressups, 3 sets) and i have ate a tin of tuna (only 30g protein) my bodyweight is 140lb so i should be getting near 200g protein according to the guide.

Im not going to do any free-weights as im only 14, so im going to stick to just pressups for now, and maybe the excercise where you put 2 hands back and put them on a chair and go up and down. (whats that called?)

Im just wondering if someone can give me any tips? Im 5 foot 4 so im not tall. My legs are pretty big anyway as i play quite a bit of football and used to go bike riding a lot.

Any tips that people could tell me? i'd be greatful to hear some info from the experts!

Also i cant seem to make myself eat every 3 hours as i just dont get hungry that often to keep my metabolism high, what am i supposed to do just eat it? I remember someone saying that body can only digest 50g of protein every 2 hours, so is it wise to eat say 2 tins every 2 hours to get up to my 200g of protein reccomended daily intake?

Also are amino acids that are available from shops bad for me? These would be the same as me eating tuna every 2 hours if i had these tablets..wouldn't it?

Cheers,
G

p.s: my stomach isnt a good sight, mainly fat how can i train this to make it firmer.. im not asking for a pack or anything just atm its all flabby :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I know some people say weight training at a young age does not stunt your growth but personally I believe it does, its good you are not doing weights now and that you are taking an interest in your body now. I didnt even start on them until I was 16 and I did VERY light ones. The best time imo is when you are 18, I wanted to be 6ft5 before I weight trained but meh lol

From personal experience, cut out the crap; crisps, fizzy drinks, chocolates (especially chocolate) and so on. If you stick to your meals ie: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner along with cardio you should be fine. If you go to a gym; running/stepper machine is great and finish off with some biking. Don't push yourself too hard to start off with, go easy and you will gradually increase and push harder.

Btw - thought you was an old man Gordy! Nice body man! (in a NON gay way) :p

*edit*

oh yeah - is doing 20-50 pressups in the morning and before bed any use or just a bit of strain? I used to them a while ago but stopped.

Soldato
I think we're being pretty narrow minded about the meat!

Fish doesn't have to be Salmon - try Monkfish (non-oily), Mackeral (oily) etc too.. just steer clear of the mass produced smoked stuff that's bright yellow because of the additives.

One option is to steam it, along with the veggies rather than just grill or fry.

Soldato
New routine...anyone got any input?

Flat bench 5x5
Incline bench 3x8
Flyes 3x8
Biceps#1 3x8
Biceps#2 3x8
Light Cardio

Deadlift 5x5
Barbell row 3x8
Good mornings 3x8
Pulldowns(too fat for pullups) 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff
Forearms

Overhead press 5x5
Lateral raises 3x8
Frontal raises 3x8
Rear raises 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Triceps #1 3x8
Triceps #2 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff

Squats 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Leg press? 3x8
Stiff legged deads 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff.

Associate
Hi everyone,

Im looking at buying a weight gain formula which also contains protein. I was looking at Maximuscle Progain....it seems to have good reviews. Can anyone recommend any weight gain formulas? Can anyone recommend any sites to buy them?

Thanks

Soldato
SteveC said:
Hi everyone,

Im looking at buying a weight gain formula which also contains protein. I was looking at Maximuscle Progain....it seems to have good reviews. Can anyone recommend any weight gain formulas? Can anyone recommend any sites to buy them?

Thanks

Maximuscle products are very expensive, and have no advantage over other, less pricey offerings. Check out Reflex Nutrition's Instant Mass which is a mix of whey protein, casein and organic barley and oats, giving a source of complex carbs.

Associate
DuncanK said:
Make your own weight gainer!!!

Buy some protein powder, and some finely ground oats/maltodextrin, pint of milk and a tablespoon of peanut butter! Blend it all together and down it.

Much better than one from a tub and you can control what goes in it!

Try checking out www.bulkpowders.co.uk & www.myprotein.co.uk for the items that you need!

lol cheers for the suggestion but sounds disgusting! plus im looking at a water based supplement, as it is easier to absorb and often milk based supplements cause wind and stomach problems

Soldato
SteveC said:
lol cheers for the suggestion but sounds disgusting! plus im looking at a water based supplement, as it is easier to absorb and often milk based supplements cause wind and stomach problems

Did you check my link? That will mix with water.

Soldato
OP
Balddog said:
New routine...anyone got any input?

Flat bench 5x5
Incline bench 3x8
Flyes 3x8
Biceps#1 3x8
Biceps#2 3x8
Light Cardio

Deadlift 5x5
Barbell row 3x8
Good mornings 3x8
Pulldowns(too fat for pullups) 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff
Forearms

Overhead press 5x5
Lateral raises 3x8
Frontal raises 3x8
Rear raises 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Triceps #1 3x8
Triceps #2 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff

Squats 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Leg press? 3x8
Stiff legged deads 3x8
Light Cardio

Heavy Cardio
Various ab stuff.

Looks mostly fine to me mate. My only concern would be the amount of sets you are doing for your shoulders. 17 Sets is a lot for a large muscle group let alone a small one like your shoulders. Granted not all the exercises directly isolate the shoulders but still...

Do your shoulders respond well to high volume? If so then stick with it mate. If not then consider dropping a few sets. Maybe concern yourself more with the side delt rather than the front delt which gets hit pretty hard on Chest day also.

One more thing, when you say Biceps #1, #2 and Triceps #1, #2, what exercises do you do there?

Soldato
GordyR said:
Looks mostly fine to me mate. My only concern would be the amount of sets you are doing for your shoulders. 17 Sets is a lot for a large muscle group let alone a small one like your shoulders. Granted not all the exercises directly isolate the shoulders but still...

Do your shoulders respond well to high volume? If so then stick with it mate. If not then consider dropping a few sets. Maybe concern yourself more with the side delt rather than the front delt which gets hit pretty hard on Chest day also.

One more thing, when you say Biceps #1, #2 and Triceps #1, #2, what exercises do you do there?

Shoulders is my favourite day :o I even threw in 3 sets of shoulder press at the end...

This morning my shoulders are dead...My shoulders are good with volume..but even so, maybe ill drop the front raises like you suggest...

Biceps and triceps...I didnt list what id do because i dunno..ive never noticed much of a diff between any kind of curling and/or tricep exercises so ill just do whatever comes to mind at the time...Yesterday I did dips and overhead rope pulls.

Soldato
OP
Balddog said:
Shoulders is my favourite day :o I even threw in 3 sets of shoulder press at the end...

This morning my shoulders are dead...My shoulders are good with volume..but even so, maybe ill drop the front raises like you suggest...

Biceps and triceps...I didnt list what id do because i dunno..ive never noticed much of a diff between any kind of curling and/or tricep exercises so ill just do whatever comes to mind at the time...Yesterday I did dips and overhead rope pulls.

Mate, If high volume for shoulders works for you then stick with it! We are all different. I need to really blast my triceps to induce hypertrophy which is extremely unusual considering they get hit with just about every pushing exercise there is. You would probably think I am crazy if I posted my tricep workout. But it works for me :)

Soldato
GordyR said:
Mate, If high volume for shoulders works for you then stick with it! We are all different. I need to really blast my triceps to induce hypertrophy which is extremely unusual considering they get hit with just about every pushing exercise there is. You would probably think I am crazy if I posted my tricep workout. But it works for me :)

I dunno...ill see how it goes...ive got a thing about my shoulders...mate of mine hada really bad rotator cuff injury a while back and it put him out for quite some time...Messing up my shoulders is something i really wanna avoid :o

Mainly because having big shoulders hides my gut...if my shoulders shrink, ill look like even more of a fat biffa.

Post your triceps^^
Im always interested in seeing what people do..

Soldato
Hey GordyR. In my programme (it's on the previous page) I stopped doing Ball Squats and Lunges and changed them for just squats (8-10 x 4 50kg). I'm doing them along with leg curls and knee extensor's. Is that sufficient enough? I don't want to focus on my legs (mostly upper body) but don't want to neglect them.
Oh, also when people say to snack on nuts, which types? Are salted p-nut's a bad idea? I have a soft spot for them...

Back
Top Bottom