GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Associate
I'll check it out. Problem is that I don't have a car, so picking them would be a hassle (but it would be a good work out!). Doesn't seem to be anything in my area at the moment.
I'm experimenting with putting stuff I don't need in my bag when I'm cycling - books etc, hopefully it will increase my leg strength.

Should I be looking for a bench with a bar and weights? I don't know much about weights (obviously) but do I need the separate ones that I'd lift in both hands, or just the long bar?

Soldato
Okay complete beginner here!

I am 22 currently 11.5 stone and am about 5’9; I need to get some muscle mass!! I have never being to a gym let alone lift weights!
I’ve being looking at these muscle and weight gainers are they any good?

Looking to buy a home multi gym so can work out when I fell like it.

Man of Honour
Looking to buy a home multi gym so can work out when I fell like it.

Free weights are generally thought of as better than multi-gyms/machines because they co-opt more stabilising muscles into your workout plus your movements can follow a natural path rather than one prescribed by the machine.

A multi-gym would be better than nothing but if you've got the space and money for a decent sized one you could probably buy a power rack and bench which will allow you to perform the main compound exercises.

For detailed advice I'll defer to one of the wiser folks in here but that would be my initial thoughts. :)

Soldato
Free weights are generally thought of as better than multi-gyms/machines because they co-opt more stabilising muscles into your workout plus your movements can follow a natural path rather than one prescribed by the machine.

A multi-gym would be better than nothing but if you've got the space and money for a decent sized one you could probably buy a power rack and bench which will allow you to perform the main compound exercises.

For detailed advice I'll defer to one of the wiser folks in here but that would be my initial thoughts. :)

Ah thanks! I will look into a bench and power rack, do you mean something like this rather than a multi gum?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...t_12108295|Weights+and+dumbbells|12108306.htm

Man of Honour
Ah thanks! I will look into a bench and power rack, do you mean something like this rather than a multi gum?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...t_12108295|Weights+and+dumbbells|12108306.htm

Kind of, more along the lines of bench and rack with an Olympic bar and weights. However it can get very expensive very quickly and I don't know what your budget is, buying quality now is better than buying cheaply and buying twice though. :)

Or a cheaper option for the squat rack and pick a suitable bench and Olympic bar to go with it.

Soldato
Kind of, more along the lines of bench and rack with an Olympic bar and weights. However it can get very expensive very quickly and I don't know what your budget is, buying quality now is better than buying cheaply and buying twice though. :)

Or a cheaper option for the squat rack and pick a suitable bench and Olympic bar to go with it.

Well it’s only something to try and see if I see any gains, I’ve just bought the kit from Argos for £50 which seems good value, I don’t have a bench yet so I will have to make do without, time to get pumping! :D

Soldato
I know exactly what’s its for, have read numerous product review and studied the ingredients! But nowhere it states how much to take.

It'll be a different amount recommended for every user though, it may give a guideline of 30g but you use it for your own needs, eg how many calories do you want to add to your diet?

Man of Honour
It states to take 2-3 scoops in water or milk, but doesn’t say how much to take daily, I don’t want to take too much of the stuff? I have had 3 glasses today.

its 540kcal per 3 scoops so if you want to add 1500odd kcals then your doing it right, but none of us can tell how many cals you need to add to your diet.

Associate
Im a pretty scrawny person, ive always had quite thin arms. Recently ive started running a lot to build up my leg muscles, mostly long distance stuff, but id also like to build up my upper body. I dont want anything major, just a bit of muscle along my arm. What sort of stuff should I do to achieve this?

Caporegime
running long distance to build muscle in legs?
have you seen long distance runners? :p

i think i read a long time ago, to add 1" to your upper arm you need to add around 10lb of lean mass across your whole body.
that means doing a proper routine with proper nutrition... a good place to start would be the opening post in this thread :p

Back
Top Bottom