Got myself a Samsung NP355V5C S01UK (AMD A10 4600M + HD7670M 1GB)

Associate
Can you update us on how you installed the SSD and caddy as I have one of these and want to put an SSD in it to up the boot speeds and things :)

Soldato
Would be interesting to see what the performance is like with faster memory. (If its supported)
Reasonable gains in the Tom's review, worked well with Llano also. :)

Edit: Looking around at a few other Trinity laptops, can not believe that some are being released with only 1 dimm. Single channel memory configurations gimping entire setups. Average consumer won't be aware of the issue and will just have a very uninspiring laptop... Adding a second stick of memory massively boosts scores.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can you update us on how you installed the SSD and caddy as I have one of these and want to put an SSD in it to up the boot speeds and things :)

Haven't gotten round to it yet, had to unexpectedly travel to London over the bank holiday and only really home now. I've used a DVD drive SATA hard drive adapter before though, and installing Win 7 on an SSD is just the same as HDD so any questions fire away ;)

Would be interesting to see what the performance is like with faster memory. (If its supported)
Reasonable gains in the Tom's review, worked well with Llano also. :)

Edit: Looking around at a few other Trinity laptops, can not believe that some are being released with only 1 dimm. Single channel memory configurations gimping entire setups. Average consumer won't be aware of the issue and will just have a very uninspiring laptop... Adding a second stick of memory massively boosts scores.

From Wiki, the mobile versions of Trinity only support a maximum of 1600MHz memory, probably due to power saving VS desktop parts. Some mobile Trinity chips (the ulv ones) only support 1333MHz too

Associate
Hmm I recently got myself a Dell inspiron 5520R off the outlet:

i5 3210 (HD4000 built in graphics)
4gb 1600mhz ram
AMD 7670m 1gb
15.6" screen @ 1366x768

I ran the heaven test on mine as well as I'm not yet convinced it is making use of the 7670m (although it is listed in device manager). I got these results (running it on its native test):

So it looks to me that it doesn't seem to be making use of or detecting the 7670m, which would seem to be confirmed by the disparity in fps (i'm not sure if d_brennen's specs are better than mine but surely with the same GPU we should get similar test results?). Have I read this right or has my laptop simply fooled heaven into reading the primary GPU only (despite it not doing that with d_Brennen's above). Can anyone suggest anything I can do to get this working better? At the moment everything is set up as out of the box.

Would really appreciate some help as I'm a little lacking in knowledge with computers these days.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
OP
No idea sorry. Did you run the tests in High Power mode? Some switchable graphics solutions can do things like only activating the dGPU when plugged in etc. That screeny would suggest that it is in fact using the Intel GPU

Try the obvious first - grab the latest driver from AMD's site

Associate
Yup in high power mode. Also had both run the update driver through the device manager, and downloaded drivers via the amd driver autodetect. Ran the test again, same result.

Just had a look on the amd website and it does have a more uptodate driver listed for hd7600m series gpus, dated 15/8/12 (mine is 25/3/12). I tried downloading it and it installed a folder 'Catalyst_Mobility_64-Bit_Util', running the catalyst mobility application though and it sprang up with this:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Give this driver a go if you fancy it

http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/12-8_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 12.8 Release Notes
Back
Last Updated
8/15/2012
Article Number
GPU-171
This article provides information on the latest posting of AMD’s software suite, AMD Catalyst™12.8. This particular software suite updates the AMD display driver and the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center and the AMD Vision Engine Control Center. This unified driver has been updated and is designed to provide enhanced performance and reliability.
Package Content

The AMD Catalyst software suite 12.8 contains the following:

AMD display driver version 8.982
HydraVision™ for Windows Vista® and Windows® 7
Southbridge/IXP Driver
AMD Catalyst Control Center version 8.982/AMD Vision Engine Control Center version 8.982.
Caution !

The AMD Catalyst Control Center/AMD Vision Engine Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst Control Center/AMD Vision Engine Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.

Notes.

When installing the AMD Catalyst driver for Windows operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst driver.
The Catalyst driver requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed.
These release notes provide information on the AMD display driver only. For information on the ATI Multimedia Center™, HydraVision, HydraVision Basic Edition, Remote Wonder™, or the Southbridge/IXP driver, please refer to their respective release notes found at: http://support.amd.com/.
AMD Eyefinity technology is designed to give gamers access to high display resolutions. As pixel count grows, the graphics “horsepower” required to drive the displays at a reasonable frame rate can increase dramatically. Depending on the game and system configuration, users may notice texture corruption and reduced frame rates when running games in multi-monitor Eyefinity modes.
Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website.

AMD Product Compatibility

The AMD Catalyst driver is compatible with the following AMD products.

AMD6741.1 = "AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series"
AMD6763.1 = "AMD Radeon E6460"
AMD9803.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics"
AMD9804.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics"
AMD9805.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics"
AMD9807.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics"
AMD68E5.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6300M Series"
AMD68E4.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6300M Series"
AMD9802.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics"
AMD9806.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics"
AMD9643.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6380G"
AMD6760.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6400M Series"
AMD6761.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6430M"
AMD9648.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6480G"
AMD68C1.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series"
AMD9647.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6520G"
AMD68C0.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6570M/5700 Series"
AMD6750.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6600A Series"
AMD9641.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6620G"
AMD6740.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series"
AMD68A8.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6800M Series"
AMD6720.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series"
AMD6842.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series"
AMD9809.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics"
AMD9808.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics"
AMD9992.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7420G"
AMD6742.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series"
AMD990A.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500G"
AMD6841.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series"
AMD9990.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7520G"
AMD6840.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series"
AMD9907.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7620G"
AMD9903.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7640G"
AMD9900.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7660G"
AMD6843.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7670M"
AMD682D.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series"
AMD682F.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series"
AMD6825.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7800M Series"
AMD6827.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7800M Series"
AMD6800.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7970M"
AMD9649.1 = "AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G"
AMD68E0.1 = "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series"
AMD68E1.1 = "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series"
AMD68C7.1 = "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5570"
AMD68A0.1 = "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series"
AMD68A1.1 = "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series"

Working fine for me, good improvement in performance all round. Getting notebook drivers can be a bit of a headache. OEMs don't bother updating their drivers, AMD don't want the hassle of supporting notebook users with driver problems. FWIW it I had the same kind of issues with the last Nvidia laptop I had the misfortune to own

Associate

I have the NP350V5C-A02UK (as I mentioned earlier in thread) It's an Intel system without any dGPU but from what I've seen both laptops share a very similar chassis. I've got a Samsung 830 on the way (today hopefully) If it's any help, this is a pic of the panel on the bottom of mine - accessible via one single screw. Should be a straight forward upgrade for me.

Associate
Thanks I'll give them a try when I get home tonight, although it sounds like it may the same programme I downloaded and tried out myself, and got the error message through.

Associate
OK after installing the new AMD graphics driver, it seems to have improved things - but only because I can now individually force programmes to be run in high performance mode (my old catalyst control centre didn't give me that option). Oddly I then ran update driver through the device manager and it reinstalled my old driver! Maybe because my old driver was a specific 7670m driver, where as this is the more generic 7600m series ... tested it on Counterstrike Global Offensive, which previously ran at 30ishfps on lowish settings, now runs at 100fps on those and 50-60 with everything maxed out, so pretty big improvement! A few others are seeing big improvements as well, although deus ex setup still only detects the intel 4000, and Heaven 3.0 still gets the same results (ie. only detecting the intel 4000), despite also being on high performance on the CCC ... Annoying as well that I seem to have to log with the CCC every programme I want to have running on high performance (did you have to do that at all or did it just auto kick in?). May give Dell Tech support a call about that tomorrow evening.

So not perfect yet but at least I feel I don't have a redundant graphics card sitting in my laptop! Thanks very much for the driver, any advice to make this fully functional, rather than using the manual workaround?

Soldato
OP
Hmm, dunno sorry. The CCC (or Vision Engine or whatever it wants to be called now) seems to be pretty good at setting everything up right. Only old dx9/OGL games need to be "forced" into high power (it actually asks to be fair, but after the game is closed). You're at the mercy of Dell's driver afaik, it picks which GPU to expose when. Obviously you can force as you say, not a major headache

Edit: remember that the CCC in my laptop is looking after both GPUs, so it has a head start I guess

Last edited:
Soldato
OK after installing the new AMD graphics driver, it seems to have improved things - but only because I can now individually force programmes to be run in high performance mode (my old catalyst control centre didn't give me that option). Oddly I then ran update driver through the device manager and it reinstalled my old driver! Maybe because my old driver was a specific 7670m driver, where as this is the more generic 7600m series ... tested it on Counterstrike Global Offensive, which previously ran at 30ishfps on lowish settings, now runs at 100fps on those and 50-60 with everything maxed out, so pretty big improvement! A few others are seeing big improvements as well, although deus ex setup still only detects the intel 4000, and Heaven 3.0 still gets the same results (ie. only detecting the intel 4000), despite also being on high performance on the CCC ... Annoying as well that I seem to have to log with the CCC every programme I want to have running on high performance (did you have to do that at all or did it just auto kick in?). May give Dell Tech support a call about that tomorrow evening.

So not perfect yet but at least I feel I don't have a redundant graphics card sitting in my laptop! Thanks very much for the driver, any advice to make this fully functional, rather than using the manual workaround?

Just as a note, Heaven only picks up the HD3000 in my laptop despite the GT635m actually running the benchmark. I assume this is down to the way Optimus and I assume Enduro works? (I believe it passes the information from the dedicated cards framebuffer to the integrated GPU framebuffer before being outputted to the screen).

For reference with a GPU overclock of 775/1550/2100 I score around 640 in Heaven (24.6FPS) with the settings used above (1366x768, default) with tessellation set to normal. I *think* the HD7670m is a bit weaker than the 635m but I would expect a score in a similar ball park.

Associate
Interesting, good to know the lack of recognition is not necessarily indicative of anything.

Mine was a direct comparison to the OP's, as the two systems seem pretty comparable, but the results are not! I don't know how badly tesselation affects performance but without it as per my ss I am getting 26 fps (compared to the OPs 42 under what look like the same settings the programme defaults to). When I set everything to highest on heaven the fps dropped to an average of about 2 heh. I'll try it when I get home just tweaking the tesselation as you have done (although I haven't done anything to overclock my GPU yet, wouldn't know where to start with that).

Soldato
Interesting, good to know the lack of recognition is not necessarily indicative of anything.

Mine was a direct comparison to the OP's, as the two systems seem pretty comparable, but the results are not! I don't know how badly tesselation affects performance but without it as per my ss I am getting 26 fps (compared to the OPs 42 under what look like the same settings the programme defaults to). When I set everything to highest on heaven the fps dropped to an average of about 2 heh. I'll try it when I get home just tweaking the tesselation as you have done (although I haven't done anything to overclock my GPU yet, wouldn't know where to start with that).

Note that the d_brennen's system will be using Asymmetric Crossfire between the HD7670M and the Trinity GPU (I forget the actual number it is given by itself). I believe Heaven scales reasonably well on this sort of setup which would account for the higher score.

His score with tessellation set to normal is noticably higher my 635m overclocked which shouldn't be the case if we are talking about a HD7670m by itself.

Soldato
OP
Been playing some Sleeping Dogs today, just started but I think it's excellent. A great port that runs really well too

Uploaded videos of the game running with CF on and off but won't link here as it contains far too many swearies :eek:

OcUK Staff
Now available at OcUK:-

Samsung NP355V5C-S01UK 15.6" LED TFT, AMD A10-4600M 2.30GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD Super, Win7 Home Premioum - Silver @ £559.99 inc VAT

LT-132-SA_400.jpg

Now there’s a notebook all the family can enjoy - the Samsung 355V. With the blistering power of the latest AMD quad core processor, loads of memory and 1Tb of storage you can get things done fast, while a flexible range of ports, an ergonomic keyboard with a numeric keypad and anti-reflective screen ensure effortless usability, so life’s much easier for everyone.

Features:-
- Powerful Performance - with the latest 2nd generation AMD quad core processor, 1Tb storage and discrete class graphics, even the most demanding applications won’t slow you down
- Exceptional Clarity - the anti-reflective LED display produces sharp images and bold colours, and has no mirror effect even outdoors or under bright lights so it won’t tire your eyes
- Outstanding Design - be a real style leader and the envy of your friends and neighbours with a fashionable, modern design available in a choice of vivid colours

Specification:-
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches (matte screen)
- Resolution: 1366x768
- Processor: AMD Trinity (A10-4600M)
- Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
- Storage: 1TB HDD (5400rpm)
- Memory: 8GB DDR3
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7660G & HD7670M
- Graphics RAM: 1GB DDR3
- Operating System: Windows 7 Edition Home Premium
- Gaming benchmarks thread on OcUK Forum: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18433537
- Review: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1294489/samsung-series-3-np355v5c
- Warranty: 2yr

Only £559.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd be very interested to know if this system will play guild wars 2 at an acceptable framerate (low/mid settings is fine).
I've decided on getting myself a laptop for this purpose, and don't really want to spend over £600, but if this isn't up to the job I think I will face the difference and get a clevo optimus IV (i7/660m) for just over £700.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom