• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Miners : The cost of honesty

Soldato
:cry:..

The real problem is miners are about to get really touchy soon as the prices of coins are coming down and countries are now banning it outright from mining to spending the coins.

Another one now Russia..Also in April electricity prices are going to wipe out mining profits too in UK, Europe and rest of the world not on cheap electricity..

Russia, the world’s third largest crypto miner, to ban both GPU mining and usage of crypto

https://wccftech.com/russia-third-largest-crypto-mining-country-to-ban-both-gpu-mining-crypto-usage/

Probably why they are getting pithy.

Permabanned
The slip of 'typical British passive behaviour' means either you are not indigenous or you have stereotypical tendencies?

I am British born and bred, just not thick enough to be so short-sighted.
Lived in a few places across the UK to see different trends and ultimately tie it all up, from the details to the broader political crap which I keep my head out of.. different topic.
Ultimately all argument here is based on selfishness, you just want a GPU at a normal price, but you can't be honest, instead you have a go at people buying GPU's for mining rather than gaming because you don't mine.. stupid.

It's the covering of being too honest, don't be a crying baby, but pretend to be logical enough and feign some kind of logical front to not come across.

The British fakery, yes.

Soldato
I like how people here are talking amongst themselves but there is no actual discrepancy directly with what is stated in argument against the certain crowd.
Talking amongst themselves indirectly trying to cover what is a lack of ability to understand or wilfulness, typical British passive behavior.

The slip of 'typical British passive behaviour' means either you are not indigenous or you have stereotypical tendencies?

Weird thing to point out, and rather non-contributively to the points made, again some people get personal about stuff.

I think he needs a good British cup of tea for his nerves...

JedvUKd.jpg

Ok guys... let's all throw the towel in and move to a new topic.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Lived in a few places across the UK to see different trends and ultimately tie it all up, from the details to the broader political crap which I keep my head out of.. different topic.
Ultimately all argument here is based on selfishness, you just want a GPU at a normal price, but you can't be honest, instead you have a go at people buying GPU's for mining rather than gaming because you don't mine.. stupid.

It's the covering of being too honest, don't be a crying baby, but pretend to be logical enough and feign some kind of logical front to not come across.

The British fakery, yes.

giphy.gif

Soldato

The British fakery, yes.

He mines on his card when not gaming or working on it does gpuerrilla.. It helped him pay it off as he has said many times, he really wanted a 3080 but ended up with a 3090fe because of the AIB silly pricing on 3080s and the none existant unicorn edition 3080FE.. So he mined off the extra cost..

No one is saying don't mine on your property but don't say it doesn't cause damage either as it has been shown to do so, but yes you do also get the odd mined card not used a lot that is 100% fine, what the thread is about is how honest miners will be about this when it comes to selling on their mined on gpus.

Again your property do what you want on it and it was great for gamers to get back some of their money on these gpus this time as they were silly expensive and wouldn't have been purchased by many if they couldn't mine back some of the costs. So in one way mining gamers saved the gaming on pcs too, what most are upset about are the mining farms and people with 5+ gpus mining , gamers and pc users buying their card to use but mine on it is very different, but own up when you come to sell it. Mining farms will not even own up and some home miners will do same they will ebay the cards and pretend they were gamers or used very little and when it comes to warranty well warranty is with the person that first purchased it, will they really help if it fails in warranty if there is even any warranty left? These new cards again are very expensive and may turn into very expensive paper weights when purchased second hand from a miner or a person that will not admit to mining on them. They have a very large risk this time because of their value, before people sold off cards for £50 that were mined on, the lower end models of course and the risk to some was worth it, a 3080 at over £1.2K-£1.5K second hand is a horrible risk when mining stops and you know as I do that's what they will ask for them.

Permabanned
He mines on his card when not gaming or working on it does gpuerrilla.. It helped him pay it off as he has said many times, he really wanted a 3080 but ended up with a 3090fe because of the AIB silly pricing on 3080s and the none existant unicorn edition 3080FE.. So he mined off the extra cost..

No one is saying don't mine on your property but don't say it doesn't cause damage either as it has been shown to do so, but yes you do also get the odd mined card not used a lot that is 100% fine, what the thread is about is how honest miners will be about this when it comes to selling on their mined on gpus.

Again your property do what you want on it and it was great for gamers to get back some of their money on these gpus this time as they were silly expensive and wouldn't have been purchased by many if they couldn't mine back some of the costs. So in one way mining gamers saved the gaming on pcs too, what most are upset about are the mining farms and people with 5+ gpus mining , gamers and pc users buying their card to use but mine on it is very different, but own up when you come to sell it. Mining farms will not even own up and some home miners will do same they will ebay the cards and pretend they were gamers or used very little and when it comes to warranty well warranty is with the person that first purchased it, will they really help if it fails in warranty if their is even any warranty left? These new cards again are very expensive and may turn into very expensive paper weights when purchased second hand from a miner or a person that will not admit to mining on them. They have a very large risk this time because of their value, before people sold off cards for £50 that were mined on, the lower end models of course and the risk to some was worth it, a 3080 at over £1.2K-£1.5K second hand is horrible risk when mining stops and you know as I do that's what they will ask for them.

Gaming causes damage by the same logic.. what are you even getting at? the discussion makes no sense, wear and tear with use is inherent anyway.. regardless of what the detailed task is.

I can prove to you that if I game enough, my GPU will fail, may take 10 years.. may take 5 months.

Had a stock Radeon 7770 die in a year for no apparent reason, had that GTX 480 clocked within an inch of it's life and abused last 4 years so.... what gives?

Silliness, again logic which is not logical masking selfishness and greed and also jealousy because you can't get the card at a normal price.. tough.. the companies are there to make money, just as anyone who works is there to make money.

If you can't afford it, change things, if change can't occur, perhaps you never thought things through thoroughly enough to begin with, perhaps luck was not on your side, in any case.. there is no logical discussion here to be had.

Soldato
Gaming causes damage by the same logic.. what are you even getting at? the discussion makes no sense, wear and tear with use is inherent anyway.. regardless of what the detailed task is.

I can prove to you that if I game enough, my GPU will fail, may take 10 years.. may take 5 months.

Had a stock Radeon 7770 die in a year for no apparent reason, had that GTX 480 clocked within an inch of it's life and abused last 4 years so.... what gives?

Silliness, again logic which is not logical masking selfishness and greed and also jealousy because you can't get the card at a normal price.. tough.. the companies are there to make money, just as anyone who works is there to make money.

If you can't afford it, change things, if change can't occur, perhaps you never thought things through thoroughly enough to begin with, perhaps luck was not on your side, in any case.. there is no logical discussion here to be had.

My system below in the link, I didn't pay msrp for any of it, so you think I care about that ? Also my system pays for its self threw me working on it, it's my workstation at home, I would never mine on it as it is more valuable to me for my work than mining on it and need it to remain reliable at all times especially in the climate we are in with computer parts and how hard they are to get.

My system:- https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34846430/

obama-mic-drop.gif

I have zero reason to be jealous as you put it as don't all the people that replied to this topic.. So your argument failed ... sorry to say..

Last edited:
Permabanned
My system below in the link, I didn't pay msrp for any of it, so you think I care about that ? Also my system pays for its self threw me working on it, it's my workstation at home, I would never mine on it as it is more valuable to me for my work than mining on it and need to to remain reliable at all times especially in the climate we are in with computer parts and how hard they are to get.

My system:- https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34846430/

I have zero reason to be jealous as you put it as don't all the people that replied to this topic.. So your argument failed ... sorry to say..
You keep involving yourself, who are you arguing for? I am going based off of your argument, so you are part of that crowd, it is logical to push my counter-argument in that direction regardless of hardware you own.

Soldato
I know one thing. Heat kills.

So you agree that a card which has been overclocked and pushed to 90+ degrees gaming will be more likely to fail than one which has been underclocked/volted to run at 60c for mining?

No one is saying don't mine on your property but don't say it doesn't cause damage either as it has been shown to do so.

Has it? Obviously any use is going to "damage" it to some extent, but has mining actually been shown to do so disproportionately?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Silicon and electronics are always going to fail at some point. This is why you bear in mind the card manufacturers warranty period. If you also put into context the time you naturally upgrade (for me its normally every 2-3yrs) its not really a big deal whether your a gamer or a miner (or both).

I gamed and mined on my Vega till it made way for this card. I sold it to a mate and its still going (much like all my old components they seem to last beyond their warranty periods, maybe I just look after them). You also have to factor in drivers and software wont support it forever. Sometimes the OS will also dictate your choices.

Man of Honour
The only thing that really matters is if it's looked after. has it been run at 90 degrees solid for its entire life or is it all a well looked after card. Doesn't matter if it's mined on or gamed on, although arguably if the card has come from a miner that knows what they are doing it will be in better health than one that's been gamed on every day.

Associate
Crypto has been the biggest display of collective stupidity by our species yet. It was proposed as a decent idea, but the reality just became a vortex of gluttony and skullduggerry.

Blockchain is completely useless in the first world, nobody is using smart contracts or dApps. Nano delivers the original promise of crypto and nobody is using it because its unnecessary, it's not solving any problems because the first world already had instant feeless transactions. Nobody is using crypto to buy anything legal, its entirely an investment with the hope of getting rich quick for the vast majority.

A bunch of of circle jerk communities dedicated to spamming low iq social media platforms, and a seemingly endless supply of fresh fish to keep it all going. It's all worthless, bitcoin and eth are 2 of the worst projects technically and fundamentally, which tells you the coin price has no connection to technical merit.

2% of bitcoin accounts hold 80% of the bitcoin, it's a reflection of the already existing inequality in traditional wealth. It's not decentralized, it's not revolutionary, its complete garbage and a disgraceful illogical waste of energy and resources, with multiple horrific knock on damages like the gpu market. I pray that its outlawed but when the average iq of the species is 100, I dont have much hope.

Back
Top Bottom