• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the word "scalper" is overused i am afraid, i bought a 3080FE in February (for 650), couple months later after only using it for casual gaming I managed to sell it for a silly amount to CEX and use those funds for a 3090 without losing a single penny out of my pocket,
that would make me an oportunist, not a scalper. (I never even bought the 3080 FE back then even thinking about selling it), plenty of my mates also sold their old GPUS for a premium and managed to get nice upgrades without spending any extra money, cant blame them any of them honestly.

the word "scalper" is overused i am afraid, i bought a 3080FE in February (for 650), couple months later after only using it for casual gaming I managed to sell it for a silly amount to CEX and use those funds for a 3090 without losing a single penny out of my pocket,
that would make me an oportunist, not a scalper. (I never even bought the 3080 FE back then even thinking about selling it), plenty of my mates also sold their old GPUS for a premium and managed to get nice upgrades without spending any extra money, cant blame them any of them honestly.

sold my rx5700 and it funded my rx6700xt so a fee upgrade

could have got more but went for a easy cash in hand collection deal

I agree, you made the most of your situation. If I can do something similar to you and @Game then I'll be happy.

IMO... Mining = bad for the environment and bumps up electricity prices = feeds the shareholders :(

Can heat a house in the colder months and make somebody money, it's your choice.

But, it's bad for the Banks...... that's the biggest positive

Totally off subject, here we go again :D

Last edited:
Reposting the on-topic part of my deleted post (hopefully this is OK?)

High street trade in place is now selling my GPU (MBA 6800) for less than they were buying them last month. They still have none in stock, so while it definitely shows a downward trend, I don't think I would class it as "panic" selling, otherwise I would expect them to have a few in stock.

I did the same. Nothing wrong with that, don't think anyone would accuse you of selling a used product for its market price (at the time) as scalping.

How did post #446 with an admission of being off-topic survive? :p

In terms of GPU Panic Selling - I'd imagine those who hoarded the cards will be letting their stock naturally sell so they can shut down their operation and return to their normal hustle. Demand far outweighs supply so rather than the situation being "GPU Panic Selling" I'd say it's more "GPU Supply Improving".

yep, with prices slowly dropping i bet miners will start selling their ones soon as well, give it a couple month and market will be flooded with GPUS.

yep, with prices slowly dropping i bet miners will start selling their ones soon as well, give it a couple month and market will be flooded with GPUS.

Then it will be a gamble for buyers.

Has the 2nd hand GPU I am bidding on been thrashed for 12 months constant mining or was it used by a casual gamer? :-\

Has the 2nd hand GPU I am bidding on been thrashed for 12 months constant mining or was it used by a casual gamer? :-\

Without a stonking difference in prices between new and second-hand, it's not a risk I can take.

I have to assume all second-hand cards have been used for mining.

Not having a go at miners- just at dishonest sellers...

Depends on the card I think, if it's a relatively new/powerful card then I'd say more likely to be ex-mining, if it's something a bit older then it could be a gamer who has now been able to source/afford an upgrade and is shifting their old card while it's still worth something. I can't imagine there will be many gamers selling new/powerful cards on the cheap, the cards will still perform for gaming even if mining yields have dropped.

Or overclocked to death by a hardcore gamer and run at 105c in a mITX case with inadequate cooling or underclocked and run at max 60c in ideal conditions by a miner?

Has it actually been established that 24/7 low temperature mining is better or worse for a card than the intermittent thrashing and constant large temperature changes from gaming?

Depends on the card I think, if it's a relatively new/powerful card then I'd say more likely to be ex-mining, if it's something a bit older then it could be a gamer who has now been able to source/afford an upgrade and is shifting their old card while it's still worth something. I can't imagine there will be many gamers selling new/powerful cards on the cheap, the cards will still perform for gaming even if mining yields have dropped.

Something to watch out for in 2-3 years when 6xxx and 30xx series start to appear in numbers I guess :/

maybe plenty of stock of certain cards, but everyone of thm vastly over priced and if ppl keep buying prices will never fall

For Nvidia yes, for AMD it’s different, There was a large dump of stock onto the market about 3 days ago and the prices for 6800 and 6800XT have dropped like a stone on the grey market, if this continues it will start to effect the etailers.

Shrink wrapped 6800 founders editions are today going for £650-680.

this is new price movement.

For Nvidia yes, for AMD it’s different, There was a large dump of stock onto the market about 3 days ago and the prices for 6800 and 6800XT have dropped like a stone on the grey market, if this continues it will start to effect the etailers.

thats a good price tbh 6700xt are around that

Or overclocked to death by a hardcore gamer and run at 105c in a mITX case with inadequate cooling or underclocked and run at max 60c in ideal conditions by a miner?

Has it actually been established that 24/7 low temperature mining is better or worse for a card than the intermittent thrashing and constant large temperature changes from gaming?

Thanks for calling me out on that, genuinely. These are very good points. I'd be interested in knowing if a mining GPU in good conditions is as good as a "normal" GPU in a novice build under less than ideal conditions.

Thanks for calling me out on that, genuinely. These are very good points. I'd be interested in knowing if a mining GPU in good conditions is as good as a "normal" GPU in a novice build under less than ideal conditions.

Yes it's a genuine question on my behalf as well, my 6800 when mining is stable at 62c on the hotspot, whereas when gaming it will fluctuate between mid-50s to high-80s. I was always under the impression that it was temperature fluctuations (and the associated thermal expansion/contraction) which kills electronics (e.g. by breaking solder, stretching conductors etc.), in which case relatively low temperature mining is nowhere near as bad as gaming.

Although obviously a mining system running 24/7 puts more hours on the card overall, compared to even the most hardcore gamer putting say 6-8hrs in every day. Perhaps the fans will wear out sooner with mining, since they are mechanical and are obviously on 24/7?

I guess it's a bit like cars - what's worse, a car on 50k miles from short, constant start-stop journeys where it never gets up to temperature, vs one that's done 100k motorway miles?

Where have you seen these at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom