• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Caporegime
I think you've completely lost the plot.
You were the one militantly demanding people agree that consoles are better value, the problem is you have a really constrained view of what it is that a console can do that a gaming PC can also do that isnt fitting with several other peoples view of what they want from a gaming machine.

Yes, if you want to play console games a console is better value, a lot of us here dont just play console games though so it isnt an option. If you are going to make up statistics like "99%" of people are in your situation you might be a bit dissapointed when you go on a forum called "overclockers uk" and find that not everyone on a niche PC gaming/hardware forum agrees with you.

I can use my phone to take photos, according to your definition that means that anyone who also owns an SLR for non-proffessional use is completely wasting their money, yet there are dozens of forums dedicated to amateur photography where people spend thousands on hardware, why dont you try going on one of those to discuss vfm of a camera phone vs slr and see how far it gets you.
If this was the Titan V owners thread, maybe you'd have a point.

It's a thread called "GPU prices go boom". A thread where people (not exclusively myself) are saying that PC gaming cannot sustain the current prices of hardware, and it will turn many to console gaming.

You say there's no problem; we disagree. This is our thread, not the thread where people get on a "roll of honour" for having spent £2500 on a GPU.

OcUK isn't just a forum for big-spenders, no matter how much you might think it is.

Soldato

It's a thread called "GPU prices go boom". A thread where people (not exclusively myself) are saying that PC gaming cannot sustain the current prices of hardware, and it will turn many to console gaming.

You say there's no problem; we disagree. This is our thread, not the thread where people get on a "roll of honour" for having spent £2500 on a GPU.

OcUK isn't just a forum for big-spenders, no matter how much you might think it is.

This seems so contrary. In one breath you're saying that his point isn't valid because it's not applicable to the discussion, and in the next your acknowledging that the thread evolves with the discussion, and topics move on.

By your initial logic why on earth are you discussing consoles, OP and reply certainly didn't.

Other than your last post you raise some interesting points, but if you feel we're deflecting the topic, I'm happy to leave it. I don't think we are, so I'll pop my responses below and leave it up to you. Your tone is still pretty condescending, but it's hard to read intent on the internet. I will note that you've been relatively civil with me until now, but have ignored the comments I made regarding decorum.

Then you clearly didn't read my posts of literally one or two pages ago.

You originally said one or two posts ago, not pages, so I'm afraid we're not singing of the same hymn sheet here. If you're willing to quote your post that'd be great, but I certainly wouldn't want to misinterpret which comments you are referring to again.

For anyone posting here - and likely the vast majority of people interested in gaming at all - we will have a PC of some description already.

Whether that's an off-the-shelf Dell basic office model or a gaming PC that's now getting a bit long in the tooth.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people on this forum aren't running off-the-shelf Dell basic office models. So I'm going to be presumptous and instead look at the latter category. My rig is several years old, I now have a single 980, the second of which I sold and made very little loss on. I would argue that my 980 provides a significantly better experience than the PS4 pro, I bought my second reference one for £200. There is a superclocked version available for £270 on the bay, on the first page, even in this current climate. For people with particularly weak graphics cards, this would seem like a sensible upgrade path, at half the cost of a plastation 4 pro. And then of course there's the 4K television to go with new consoles, many don't have one, including me. Quite a cost you could include there, if you were so inclined.

It's all very well saying "ah but a PC does more than gaming". But ask yourself this:

How many people are choosing between their very first /only PC and a console? It's not a choice many are likely to be making. If you need a PC you better get a PC (for productivity).

On here; not many. The long in the tooth scenario is far more likely for the majority of people in this sub-forum. As I've already stated, I completely understand the position of those either without a machine, or with one so old it's irrelevant, who don't see the added value in the additional abilities of a PC. I don't understand why you're retreading old ground on points we already agree on. We're discussing enthusiasts level descrete graphics on an ethusiast forum.

I'm afraid I haven't said "ah but a PC does more than gaming". You haven't really acknowledged any of the many particular points I made on the added value of a PC, you're using a vague paraphrasing as if said points are inconsequential. They are not. If you'd like to address them individually, that'd be great. But I cannot see the logic in denying their relevance, or throwing them into a quick catch-all group and ignoring how important they are for many people.

So the choice that we're really making here is:

1. Upgrade my PC to a gaming PC that can play 2017/2018 games at 1080p/60
2. Buy a X1X/ PS4 Pro for gaming

The choice we're really making is "does my current financial position, and the value I place on the flexibility, productivity and power of a PC, justify the additional cost? And what do I need to upgrade in order to give my current computer logevity?"

My processer is 4 generations old, and is still very powerful, 6 generation old processors are still very, very capable. If you have a computer older than that, and you don't want any of the many, many advantages I have listed and you have brushed over, then a PS4 pro or similiar is definitely for you.. We've already confirmed this so why are you flogging a dead horse?

So the question now becomes (and I would assume is valid for the majority of users on this PC enthusiast forum) "considering my computer spec is suitable for gaming, excluding the graphics card, is it worth investing in an entirely new device, with a different eco system, to play games at a poorer performance than I would ideally like?"

The benefits of investing additional money would be :
  • No new and seperate device
  • No investment necessary in a new ecosystem
  • Play your entire game collection, from one device
  • Retain the peripherals already owned, without additional expense
  • No monthly cost for online gaming services
  • An enormous variety of games, ranging back 15 years or more
  • Considerably lower costs for game purchases
  • Broader variety of suitable genres
  • Sofa and Desk gaming without additional lounge space taken up
  • Huge range of modifications available
  • Xbox and PC exclusives
  • Small potential income from mining when idle
There are others but lets leave it there for the moment, feel free to address any point that you don't think adds value to a PC setup over a dedicated console.

I will throw you a bone and say for anyone who has no PC and needs one, a console makes no sense. I don't feel that's what we're discussing here. I think it's deflecting the debate to somewhere it doesn't need to go.

Whilst I'm glad we can agree on another point, I don't need a bone throwing. I've happily commented on points we agree on, I find it odd that you don't seem to be willing to do the same. It feels to me like you're trying to win something, rather than have a discussion.

Are you saying that value for money is purely subjective?

I subscribe to the subjective theory of value, yes. Do you think people would go out and buy things they didn't need if they didn't perceive them to be equal or greater in worth than that which they were required to pay? GPU prices are high because people perceive them to be worth the cost, if they didn't, they wouldn't buy them and the market would plummet practically overnight. People who don't perceive the added value a PC brings to be worth the cost? They buy consoles, which we've already agreed on and I've empathised with others on. I keep saying this.

Are you saying that somebody can buy a top-end model and not realise that the VfM sweet-spot is a cheaper card?

A second hand car is better value for money. But people keep buying new cars. Because they attribute the value of a new car over a used one to be greater than the monetary cost.

You're saying that someone buying a 911 cannot appreciate that a family car would be better value for money? So someone buying a top-end device must always feel that it represents the best value for money, for them? That nobody ever bought something knowing that it was a vanity purchase and they were paying a premium to buy top-end?

If said hypothetical 911 owner viewed the value vs cost to be greater on the family car, he would purchase it. Vanity is absolutely a contributing factor to deciding whether or not a car presents value for money. 911 person sees such value in the vanity of the car that he is willing to pay the extra money. The car is also significantly faster and brings greater pleasure when in use, 911 person would undoubtedly see these as contributing to the value of the car, don't you think?

But we're not talking about a flash car, we're talking about two utterly different devices, a personal computer, and a gaming console. One provides more power, flexibility, options and functionality, but costs more. We're discussing people looking to buy graphics cards and if they can perceive value for their money.

Because if we're re-defining value for money like that, then literally whatever you decide to buy is the best value for money for you. That makes the phrase "value for money" utterly meaningless.

Just so long as you see what you're doing, here. You're making a well-established concept (value for money) and saying that means whatever you decide it means.

When we started this discussion, I pointed out two things; one, that for some people the added functionality, power and flexibility of a PC makes it a better value for money proposition vs the one trick pony of a console, and two, that you are being rude and glib. I stand by these two points.

I've linked a couple of pages that summarise my points quite well, I'll include a couple of quotations below :

value for money (VFM)
A utility derived from every purchase or every sum of money spent. Value for money is based not only on the minimum purchase price (economy) but also on the maximum efficiency and effectiveness of the purchase.

Utility
Pleasure or satisfaction (value for money) derived by a person from the consumption of a good or service or from being in a particular place, and for the maximization of which all economic actions are motivated. It is the subjective or psychic return which cannot be measured in absolute or objective terms. Goods or services that have utility for one person may not have for another, and what may have utility for a person at a certain time or place may not have it at another.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/value-for-money-VFM.html
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/utility.html

Soldato

I disagree that current pricing is a longterm issue, if people with a 290 had wanted to upgrade they had months to do that at better prices, new cards will come out, better supply, lower prices. Right now is a crap time to buy a GPU but that doesnt mean everyone has to switch to console gaming.

I dont think someone with a 290 and wants to upgrade from it sits on it for over 2 years of other cards being available through several discount sales cycles then suddenly, as new cards are about to come out goes "oh a 1080ti is now nearly a grand new, just when I was about to upgrade, I'd better throw my monitor, controller, wheel, joysticks, vr headset in the bin and get a bargain basement console instead".

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree that current pricing is a longterm issue, if people with a 290 had wanted to upgrade they had months to do that at better prices, new cards will come out, better supply, lower prices. Right now is a crap time to buy a GPU but that doesnt mean everyone has to switch to console gaming.

I dont think someone with a 290 and wants to upgrade from it sits on it for over 2 years of other cards being available through several discount sales cycles then suddenly, as new cards are about to come out goes "oh a 1080ti is now nearly a grand new, just when I was about to upgrade, I'd better throw my monitor, controller, wheel, joysticks, vr headset in the bin and get a bargain basement console instead".

I'm sitting on a 970 bacause there isn't another card out there for 300 quid new that is significantly faster. So i haven't upgraded, but that's not through lack of wanting to. Im not buying a console either, I'm done with all that.

Soldato
Value for money IS a meaningless phrase when its used out of context such as trying to force people who dont like or want a console to agree that a console is better value for money than something which is in some ways similar but in other ways really not. Value is subjective, so what represents value to YOU is NOT the same thing as to someone else. That is exactly what subjective means.

Good post man.

Soldato
I'm sitting on a 970 bacause there isn't another card out there for 300 quid new that is significantly faster. So i haven't upgraded, but that's not through lack of wanting to. Im not buying a console either, I'm done with all that.

Is that down to current prices though? I mean a 980ti or 1070 would be a decent upgrade from a 970 and has been available 2nd hand for 300ish over the last 2 years. If you are saying you need 1080ti performance, that was never going to be 300 this year anyway?

Caporegime
We shall see. The consensus seems to be that cryptomining is here to stay. Tbh, without crypto I would never have bought a PS4 Pro. I would have upgraded my GPU instead. The ridiculous cost of upgrading from a 290 to something better made my pick up a console.

@WantoN I'm not sure where you get your figures from. A £270 980 is not "half the cost of a PS4 Pro". You can pick up that console for £300 + a couple games.

Also why do you say I must factor in the cost of a 4K screen? Hardly anyone with a PS4 Pro is using it with a 4K screen. It's certainly not a requirement, nor something I need to factor into the cost of a PS4 Pro. I use a 1080p screen. You'd hardly demand that somebody with a 960/480 used it with a 4K screen, so I fail to see why we should insist on that for a PS4 Pro gamer?

Also no we can't agree I'm afraid. You stated that there is "value" in paying a premium/been able to afford to pay a premium, purely for the status derived from paying a premium. Value derived from the amount you paid is fake value; purely for indulging the ego (aka "vanity" as we said). There is plenty of evidence that this is a real phenomena on these very boards, but I can't get on board with this measurement of value. It's certainly not functional value.

In a thread where the price-conscious are seeing consoles as a viable alternative - thanks to the current state of PC gaming hardware - it's amusing to see how many PC defenders are saying the current prices of PC hardware are justified by its value as a platform.

I mean if that's the case, then last year when prices weren't insane, we were really robbing nV and AMD, weren't we? We got today's "value" for half the price. We must have robbed them blind!

Let me just say this in closing: I only bought a PS4 Pro because of the current PC hardware prices - and because it isn't likely to be a short-term situation. I've listened to various speakers who (whilst being on the inside of the mining cartel) give good reasons why mining - and indeed POW mining - isn't going anywhere now. It's here to stay, unless governments legislate to kill it (that is a genuine unknown).

In this new reality, PC gaming might survive and even thrive. But it won't be from the old guard PC gamers like me. It will be a rich man's niche hobby.

Caporegime
Is that down to current prices though? I mean a 980ti or 1070 would be a decent upgrade from a 970 and has been available 2nd hand for 300ish over the last 2 years. If you are saying you need 1080ti performance, that was never going to be 300 this year anyway?
I don't think it's fair to focus on historical prices when making your arguments. This thread is about today's prices, not last years, or the year before that.

Unless you have a time machine we can all use to get cheap GPUs, the reality today is the reality.

Soldato
I don't think it's fair to focus on historical prices when making your arguments. This thread is about today's prices, not last years, or the year before that.

Unless you have a time machine we can all use to get cheap GPUs, the reality today is the reality.

If at no point over the last 2 years did you consider any GPU at any of the prices they were available at to be a worthy upgrade, i doubt the current prices had much effect on your thought process.

Caporegime
If at no point over the last 2 years did you consider any GPU at any of the prices they were available at to be a worthy upgrade, i doubt the current prices had much effect on your thought process.
The 480 was underwhelming.

The 1070 and 1080 I judged to be more expensive than they ought to have been. I was waiting for the next gen in the hope that the value proposition would be better.

I gambled and I lost. Not only will the next gen be 50% more expensive, the current gen is now 50% more than it was last year (when I already considered it to be too expensive).

So you're right but it's worth considering the reasons why you're right. And why other people were holding off making upgrades too. We thought we'd get better value from the next gen. A bit like Intel and their +5% perf each year. Eventually all those 5% add up to 30%, and you bite the bullet.

I was also expecting more from Vega than the offal we got served. So a combination of thinking that the 10 series should have been cheaper, and AMD's lacklustre efforts not keeping nV in check... plus mining... has made things so much worse than I could have predicted this time last year.

I was for sure planning to either get Vega or nV's next gen. Look at where we are now from my perspective. Prices going up all the time. The next gen likely to be significantly more expensive than the 10 series. Heck it's likely that a £300 budget will barely get me the 2050 card unless something unexpected happens to mining between now and then.

So whilst you can say "you were never going to upgrade anyhow", bear in mind that the reasons that kept me from upgrading are even more valid now, and likely to be even more valid in the near future. Hands up who thinks the 11/20 series will be drastically cheaper than the inflated prices we're seeing atm? You optimists!

e: Even Gibbo came out and said "don't expect things to get cheaper." For reasons included +20% on wafer prices, memory prices, mining, all of these things...

Nobody should expect the 20 series to be less than +20% of current 10-series prices. It's going to be brutal and bloody when people see the next gen prices. You can quote me on that.

Soldato
If you were only ever interested in AMD GPU's, then yes that would limit your options, but AMD prices were already jacked up long before the current situation so I struggle to see how anyone genuinely thought vega was going to represent value for money :/

Caporegime
If you were only ever interested in AMD GPU's, then yes that would limit your options, but AMD prices were already jacked up long before the current situation so I struggle to see how anyone genuinely thought vega was going to represent value for money :/
Hope springs eternal. They were very bullish with their initial PR ("poor Volta"). I know it's stupid to read anything into marketing materials, but few could have foreseen how bad Vega would be after AMD seemed so damn confident about it. Talking about their "revolution" for gamers, putting power into the "hands of the masses". "VR capable cards for everyone."

It was all bumkus as we found out. But few predicted that they could have failed so badly, in the light of everything they were saying. Raja partying hard and telling everyone how proud he was of his team. Ugh... let's forget about that.

As for AMD prices being jacked up 12 months ago.... well you could still get a 480 for ~£200 iirc. And even then I wasn't interested, because it was 290 performance frankly for 290 prices (priced as the 290/390 had been for years). Now it's £450 for a 580 and that truly is a big joke. A terrible, offensive, hate-filled joke that I don't find funny in the slightest :p

Soldato
@WantoN I'm not sure where you get your figures from. A £270 980 is not "half the cost of a PS4 Pro". You can pick up that console for £300 + a couple games.

You're right, I was out on the console, cheapest I can find it is about £320 on the bay, which is considerably more than the 980 and with less power, so all my points still stand, I fail to see what you're getting at.

Also why do you say I must factor in the cost of a 4K screen? Hardly anyone with a PS4 Pro is using it with a 4K screen. It's certainly not a requirement, nor something I need to factor into the cost of a PS4 Pro. I use a 1080p screen. You'd hardly demand that somebody with a 960/480 used it with a 4K screen, so I fail to see why we should insist on that for a PS4 Pro gamer?

And then of course there's the 4K television to go with new consoles, many don't have one, including me. Quite a cost you could include there, if you were so inclined.

Where exactly did I say that you must factor in the cost of a 4k screen? It feels like you're grasping at straws.

A PS4 pro is aimed at 4k gaming. Surely by your logic a standard PS4 presents better value for money at 1080p; same games, same ecosystem, plays games fine for 1080p. This is starting to feel depressingly ironic.

Also no we can't agree I'm afraid.

You seem to be constantly refusing to agree on any points where our views quite obviously coincide. I believe I've mentioned what you do when they don't.

You stated that there is "value" in paying a premium/been able to afford to pay a premium, purely for the status derived from paying a premium. Value derived from the amount you paid is fake value; purely for indulging the ego (aka "vanity" as we said). There is plenty of evidence that this is a real phenomena on these very boards, but I can't get on board with this measurement of value. It's certainly not functional value.

I had high hopes for an interesting discussion, unfortunately you seem hell bent on completely ignoring the links, points and known theories I have cited, and instead misinterpreting it to try and maintain the facade that you're making a point. I have never said what you suggest, I've linked sources that dispute this entirely. Would you perhaps care to quote me and offer a counter argument, I'm struggle to follow the points as I find them a little vague.

In a thread where the price-conscious are seeing consoles as a viable alternative - thanks to the current state of PC gaming hardware - it's amusing to see how many PC defenders are saying the current prices of PC hardware are justified by its value as a platform.

Unfortunately you seem to be trying to put words in my mouth, rather than actually address anything I'm saying (I think I've mentioned this). It's likely you aren't referring to me of course, considering I have done nothing of the sort.

I mean if that's the case, then last year when prices weren't insane, we were really robbing nV and AMD, weren't we? We got today's "value" for half the price. We must have robbed them blind!

I can't work out if you can't comprehend what we're discussing, or you're intentional ignoring what I'm saying because you can't provide a valid counter-argument, perhaps neither. People will only pay money if they view the expensive as equal or less in value than what they are receive. I've cited a couple of interesting links on this, you seem to have missed them; I haven't seen you refer to them at all.

Let me just say this in closing: I only bought a PS4 Pro because of the current PC hardware prices - and because it isn't likely to be a short-term situation. I've listened to various speakers who (whilst being on the inside of the mining cartel) give good reasons why mining - and indeed POW mining - isn't going anywhere now. It's here to stay, unless governments legislate to kill it (that is a genuine unknown).

In this new reality, PC gaming might survive and even thrive. But it won't be from the old guard PC gamers like me. It will be a rich man's niche hobby.

I find this closing statement very strange, as you seem to be addressing me and yet haven't even mentioned the two points upon which our discussion has been focused. You were rude and you didn't think anyone could see any value in an expensive graphics card. I've done my best to have a reasoned discussion but I feel your answers are becoming more vague and you are failing to address any of the points I've made (I'm glad I remembered to include this comment, I nearly forgot).

I'm genuinely glad you're happy with your PS4 Pro, but might I suggest to others reading this; if you have a 1080p TV, get a standard PS4; it's serious value for money at that resolution. Or better yet if if you've got a half decent processor, pick up a 980 on the bay, it's cheaper than both and much more powerful, with all the benefits a PC brings.

EDIT: How long have you been gaming? I'm genuinely interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've listened to various speakers who (whilst being on the inside of the mining cartel) give good reasons why mining - and indeed POW mining - isn't going anywhere now. It's here to stay, unless governments legislate to kill it (that is a genuine unknown).
Let's hope for that.

Considering instabilitities of current economic system being often problem for society, even bigger instability of virtual currencies should be valid reason for banning them.
Another thing is the fact that virtual moneys are produced without producing any physical good or services...
Like that's going to create sustainable economy/better society!

And then there's environmental aspect with all that power consumption etc.
It's really weird how environmentalists have been quiet about it, considering how more or less problematic pretty much any electricity generating way is for environment.
Which includes also renewable energy sources which aren't exactly free either:
For example manufacturing solar panels is resource intensive.

Soldato
Let's hope for that.

Considering instabilitities of current economic system being often problem for society, even bigger instability of virtual currencies should be valid reason for banning them.
Another thing is the fact that virtual moneys are produced without producing any physical good or services...
Like that's going to create sustainable economy/better society!

And then there's environmental aspect with all that power consumption etc.
It's really weird how environmentalists have been quiet about it, considering how more or less problematic pretty much any electricity generating way is for environment.
Which includes also renewable energy sources which aren't exactly free either:
For example manufacturing solar panels is resource intensive.

Miners make me sad when I look at increasing prices, but surely creating more business, more jobs, more opportunities, and increasing the sales of consumers goods isn't all bad?

I had never even thought of hte impact of a virtual money with no representative good or service (aside from mining time and utility bills I guess?), it's a strange thing to ponder, as is increasing energy utilisation. I had thought to bring up the point of solar (and that cave someones using to cool their equipment) but you're right. Though as I said before, more jobs for people building 'em, so not all bad.

All in all I wish mining would go away, unless I trip over a particularly powerful mining rig; then it'll be brilliant :D

Soldato
Graphics card pricing is in Crises. The situation is a crises for all PC gamers, as in the prices will continuously rise as the demand is high and profits are high. I expect my current gpu to last me till 2020 and I'll re visit gpu's then.

Caporegime
EDIT: How long have you been gaming? I'm genuinely interested.
Since I'm too tired (genuinely) and can't be bothered right now, I'll just answer this before I turn in.

Atari 2600 (?? 1986 ?? )
C64 (?? 1988 ??)
MegaDrive (?? 1990 ?? )
First PC (1992)
First self-assembled PC (1996)

So I've been gaming a while. Not since the 70s as some here, but long enough.

And no, obviously mining isn't all bad for those making money out of it. Be that nV, AMD or the miners themselves.

Doesn't mean that it's anything but bad for the rest of us. Strong sales to miners doesn't have to turn into anything good for gamers at all. Esp if AMD decides there's a brighter future in making mining hardware than gaming hardware, and shifts away from the latter. Probably not a likely scenario, but I'm just highlighting that mining doesn't have to end well for PC gamers. I see no reason really to be glad for mining. None.

Soldato
Since I'm too tired (genuinely) and can't be bothered right now, I'll just answer this before I turn in.

Atari 2600 (?? 1986 ?? )
C64 (?? 1988 ??)
MegaDrive (?? 1990 ?? )
First PC (1992)
First self-assembled PC (1996)

We have a similarly chequered past, and I'm not bothered if you're tired or if even if you want to cease th discussion. Like I said, I don't view a conversation on here as something I have to win.

Night dude.

Man of Honour
Graphics card pricing is in Crises. The situation is a crises for all PC gamers, as in the prices will continuously rise as the demand is high and profits are high. I expect my current gpu to last me till 2020 and I'll re visit gpu's then.

I was looking today at the fact that my 1070 cost 58% of the price of actually available 1070s and just went LOL. If I have to replace the 1070 before a new lineup I'll probably just buy one of the SW Titans - at least I get something sort of special and actual top end performance for the dry *******.

Back
Top Bottom