• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Man of Honour
Intel's Hades Canyon NUCs get released this spring and works out at around £750 for a barebones system with no RAM or storage. If you had the RAM/storage it would work out cheaper than buying a i7/1060 system.

This is where PC gaming is going, everything will get smaller and more integrated, but also more powerful. Desktop systems will become niche as will the purchasing of GPUs for some.

intel-hades-canyon-nuc-1.jpg

94f03acc-29ce-458e-9912-53641c8de50e.jpg

Those figures are very poor for 1080p. ROTTR also does not have an Ultra preset so I don't know where they got that from.

I think I would rather use a GTX 1060 based system.

Associate
Those figures are very poor for 1080p. ROTTR also does not have an Ultra preset so I don't know where they got that from.

I think I would rather use a GTX 1060 based system.

Aye, but we're talking about a device smaller than my ****, so i think it can be forgiven on some aspects...

and this is without mentioning that people should always prefer such masterpieces with an exceptional craftsmanship :eek: :eek:

Cougar Launches the PANZER-G Glass-Enveloped Chassis https://www.techpowerup.com/242089/cougar-launches-the-panzer-g-glass-enveloped-chassis

I'd rather have compact design, something like this below with a decent CPU/GPU. Also, i don't want my case looking like Blackpool at night. :D

10eb1d34-c32c-4aa8-ae6d-9daac728d0a3

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel's Hades Canyon NUCs get released this spring and works out at around £750 for a barebones system with no RAM or storage. If you had the RAM/storage it would work out cheaper than buying a i7/1060 system.

This is where PC gaming is going, everything will get smaller and more integrated, but also more powerful. Desktop systems will become niche as will the purchasing of GPUs for some.

NOPE! I will never want to ditch my big tower desktops I will be that future old man ranting to young people about how back in my day we had proper gaming rigs not these silly little box things now get off my lawn!

Soldato
Colour me interested, less noise decent performance, less cheesy lights which are hard to avoid these on Mobos etc

Not quite there yet but good to see they are being developed for performance and gaming

Caporegime
People like me who really want a gaming PC don't really have much choice unfortunately.
Well of course you have a choice, but it's between "buy" and "don't buy". Have a gaming PC or don't.

Whatever you decide tho, you absolutely do have a choice.

The flip side is that if you didn't buy at today's prices, it wouldn't send a message to anyone - a miner would buy that card instead. So really atm the consumer has no power whatsoever to influence the outcome. That's particularly depressing. Those of us who are keeping our wallets closed aren't making any difference at all.

Associate
So really atm the consumer has no power whatsoever to influence the outcome.
But isn't it possible that because of the increased prices of GPU's and memory, that fewer complete system builds take place as people hold off for a price drop, and this impacts the PC component market as a whole? Surely if there are far few motherboards, CPU's, cases etc... being sold then it'll send a message to someone?

Caporegime
But isn't it possible that because of the increased prices of GPU's and memory, that fewer complete system builds take place as people hold off for a price drop, and this impacts the PC component market as a whole? Surely if there are far few motherboards, CPU's, cases etc... being sold then it'll send a message to someone?
I wouldn't have thought so. The vast majority of PCs sold don't have a GPU. Think business workstations and home/office PCs.

Gaming PCs make up a tiny part of the PC market. And GPU vendors will just as happily sell to miners as gamers, so not even they will be impacted.

Don't forget RAM prices are high because, again, RAM vendors have plenty of other markets than PCs. Smartphones, tablets, Apple, etc.

Permabanned
Colour me interested, less noise decent performance, less cheesy lights which are hard to avoid these on Mobos etc

Not quite there yet but good to see they are being developed for performance and gaming

It'll be interesting to see what come out in the near future.

Caporegime
Surely APUs/ Intel's NUC things are more useful in a console?

Then you have the advantage of uniform hardware to code against and bare-metal APIs/ a minimal single-purpose OS.

Put them in a PC with Windows (etc), and seeing how they are relatively weaker to being with, you don't get nearly as good a deal.

Associate
less cheesy lights which are hard to avoid these on Mobos etc
I'm not a fan of all these lights on mboards (and fans!) either but I find that once I've shut the case I no longer notice them! Lights on a computer belong on the front panel, preferrably with an array of switches used to load the bootstrap into "core memory"!

Soldato
I'm not too bothered about them existing, as they can be turned off. But I am bothered that i'm paying for something I don't want/need. I'd wish normal non-LED versions were released at a slightly lower price.

Back
Top Bottom