• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
Without stating the obvious.

Is there any material difference between the cheapest £529 1070ti listed on OCUK vs the most expensive models pushing nearer £600+?

Yes; the Foo factor, It's crept into the world of PC gaming just as surely as it did in the world of 'Hi-Fi'...Foo=+margin.

Soldato
Without stating the obvious.

Is there any material difference between the cheapest £529 1070ti listed on OCUK vs the most expensive models pushing nearer £600+?

Clockspeed from the factory, warranty, cooler and the brand. That's it. The chips under the hood are all largely the same.

Soldato
Am I imagining it or are GPU prices coming down? 1080 on my list was £660 last week, now it's 'only' £578.
if you take a look on the mm you will see prices have dropped quite a bit from what they were (folks looking to sell on 2,3,4 month old gpu's for pretty much what they paid for them new) now call me a cynic but OcUK will be watching the MM pricing trends, if there's a load of gpus starting to shift on the 2nd hand market well below what they were previously selling for then they are going to have to adjust their shop front prices accordingly to try and entice people away from the second hand market. there may be those that will disagree with me but the second hand market 100% (imo) directly affects the '1st' hand market.
e.g. if brand 'X' is selling for £600 new and the second hand market is ~£550 for cards only a few months old the shop isn't going to change it's price. if the second hand market suddenly tanks to £400 for the same cards that are only a few months old the shop needs to reduce it's pricing down to make the new cards at least a little tempting.

Permabanned
i had a 4850 that ran close to 100c for 4 years never missed a beat ! people worrying about modern cards doing 60c 24/7.

Mate thats the NEW GEN of pc entusiasts that not seen stuff running pass 80c CONSTANTLY for many years.

My mate still got 480GTX running fine... **** can cook eggs with it

Associate
Just stop being so tight. I know many people are already struggling with rent, mortgage and bills, but £1k - £1.5k is a relatively small amount of money for a gfx card considering what you get. I'd even go as far as saying they're really good value for money. Just dip your hand in your pocket and forget.

Associate
Just stop being so tight. I know many people are already struggling with rent, mortgage and bills, but £1k - £1.5k is a relatively small amount of money for a gfx card considering what you get. I'd even go as far as saying they're really good value for money. Just dip your hand in your pocket and forget.

Some people are going to think you're serious!

Soldato

You get a graphics card that makes your dinner, does the washing, drives you to work, cuts your hair?

Associate
I feel you guys put too much stock in the members market. I'm a user of OCUK for years and years but don' come close to qualifying. Most people buying graphics cards are also in the same boat. 2nd hand pricing there isn' going to influence OCUK pricing because it' hidden quite effectively behind a rather testing timesink of post count!

Associate
same boat for the MM..been a member here for 13 years but because I don't post much I'm nowhere near the criteria to get in there lol.

I was looking on a certain auction site and saw a bloke selling 1080'ti's for 1k each..he had hundreds of them new in boxes,i don't think prices are going to drop anytime soon and I'm dreading the day if/when my 1070 dies as it will mean the end of pc gaming for me I think.

Associate
I feel you guys put too much stock in the members market. I'm a user of OCUK for years and years but don' come close to qualifying. Most people buying graphics cards are also in the same boat. 2nd hand pricing there isn' going to influence OCUK pricing because it' hidden quite effectively behind a rather testing timesink of post count!

+1

Back
Top Bottom