• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
No. They are still way above msrp!

Not for long. Retailers are being slow to react as well as some slow people thinking they are getting bargains for mining/gaming.

Even at MSRP it is not a good idea to buy cards purely to mine right now.

We aren't going to get 2016 launch prices anyway, as the costs have risen since then (memory and exchange rate).

Soldato
I now have an EVGA 1080 ti sc gaming but still keeping an eye on prices. Can't see them for sub £700 yet, even second hand.

How do you think prices have gone pop?

Used 1080 is now ~£450-£480. 1070ti ~£400-£430 and 1070 for ~£320-£350.

That's only the beginning. I certainly wouldn't be paying much more than 10% above those prices for new when the second hand market is getting flooded.

Retailers which may have sourced stock at high prices may also be begrudging to sell at a loss initially.

Here's a thread amongst many:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/nvidia-gpus-4x-1070-3x-1060-1x-1070ti-1x-980ti.18814588/

The latest buy now listings on a famous auction site are also getting lower and lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
MM your not allowed to charge an arm and leg thats why. I am surprised your saying the bay has dropped too because I was watching the earlier gen cards and those prices are not really budging (I was going to sell my 290x). I did stop looking in the past week but maybe it is the sign we have all been waiting for (miners to start offloading their stock)..

Soldato
MM your not allowed to charge an arm and leg thats why. I am surprised your saying the bay has dropped too because I was watching the earlier gen cards and those prices are not really budging (I was going to sell my 290x). I did stop looking in the past week but maybe it is the sign we have all been waiting for (miners to start offloading their stock)..

You are not allowed to sell above purchase price. People are having to drop their prices to sell and many cards remain unsold at less than msrp.

Soldato
There are a lot of people trying to get back what they paid in the last few months, but there aren't many people left that are willing to pay those prices. Personally I wouldn't be paying that much for 2nd hand hardware.

Soldato
You are not allowed to sell above purchase price. People are having to drop their prices to sell and many cards remain unsold at less than msrp.

If this is the case then the 'gamers' can hardly complain now that an abundance of choice is available for GPU's. It was predicatable - so long as the mining city of gold ground to a halt. Only uncertainty for buyers is how abused was the card, if its fairly new and has proven warranty left then its not that bad.

Associate
if its fairly new and has proven warranty left then its not that bad.
Unless the used price of a mining card is a sizeable wedge under the price of new hardware, then I'm not sure that GPU's which have been worked continuously seems like that good a proposition. Paying a little more for peace of mind and a known history would seem to be a better choice.

Soldato
Unless the used price of a mining card is a sizeable wedge under the price of new hardware, then I'm not sure that GPU's which have been worked continuously seems like that good a proposition. Paying a little more for peace of mind and a known history would seem to be a better choice.

Absolutely agree. To compliment this I usually buy my stuff on buy now pay later credit as it doesnt feel like a big sting and I can comfortably stash some wages aside before clearing the balance before the time is up. If I did have say £600 knocking about I would consider OcUK MM for a reasonable price for say 3x 1060s or rx570s if you catch my drift.

As I used to do grid computing and science based crunching since before BOINC came about, mining isnt really anything new - it just pays which is a bonus. I have however always mined assets and traded my way up, I never buy crypto with FIAT as I treat it more of a hobby rather than a get rich quick scheme.

Caporegime
where a mining card left running in moderate use will physically stand up better than a gaming card running higher usage in shorter bursts.
I very much doubt this is true.

And the only people I see peddling this viewpoint are, surprise surprise, the miners among us.

You can shout "heat cycles, heat cycles!" until you're blue in the face, but nobody is actually presenting evidence. Just opinion as fact.

"I know for sure that heat cycles kills cards faster than 24/7 mining! Trust me, I'm a miner, I should know!"

;) ;) ;)

Soldato

And the only people I see peddling this viewpoint are, surprise surprise, the miners among us.

You can shout "heat cycles, heat cycles!" until you're blue in the face, but nobody is actually presenting evidence. Just opinion as fact.

"I know for sure that heat cycles kills cards faster than 24/7 mining! Trust me, I'm a miner, I should know!"

;) ;) ;)

Where's your proof to the contrary? Prove your theory then!

Because all I'm seeing is stroppy gamers who can't afford to upgrade blaming the miners...

Caporegime
Where's your proof to the contrary? Prove your theory then!

Because all I'm seeing is stroppy gamers who can't afford to upgrade blaming the miners...
I'm not offering proof of anything. I'm not even going to contemplate buying a used mining card for my next purchase.

I'll be buying new because I don't want the added risk of buying a mining card.

Thanks miners for your generous offer to sell me your used mining cards at near RRP prices, but I'll pass ;) ;)

e: Also for the sake of the gaming GPU industry, I hope a lot of miners are left out of pocket, unable to recoup their (often ludicrous) investment in GPUs.

I certainly won't be helping you cut your losses by buying your ex-mining cards.

Hopefully enough people make a loss to scare people off the next time mining goes nuts.

Soldato
Why haven't we bought yet?

It seems like you've missed the entire point of the thread. Starting from the thread title...

GPU Prices go Boom

first post said:
Are on the up. What is the reason for this, can't all be crypto as the 1050 has had price hikes.
The US have real **** prices though, disgusting.

NVIDIA "Pascal" and AMD "Vega" Graphics Card Prices Sizzle Stateside

All youv'e done is bitch and moan because you think its us miners.at fault..

Show us proof that the increase is due to miners buying ALL the cards.

You prove that I'll buy you a card...If not then IT'S YOU stating opinion as FACT.

Associate
To those more knowledgeable with regards to mining, isn't it a somewhat common practice to under volt the cards a bit from an electricity cost perspective?

I'm not a fan of buying a gpu used around the clock, but maybe this would help a touch to keep the cards from being really abused.

Soldato
To those more knowledgeable with regards to mining, isn't it a somewhat common practice to under volt the cards a bit from an electricity cost perspective?

Yep. Means less stress on the cards and less power usage...More profit quicker ROI..Whereas a large number of gamers (myself included) push their Gaming cards sometimes right up to the limit

Soldato
It is, was proven years ago (before mining even became popular, was originally a point of discussion in the folding days) that continuous moderate load is less stressful/damaging than more intermittent higher load/temp.

A good comparison is a car that spends all it's time cruising on the motorway vs a car that spends all it's time accelerating/braking/cornering around town.

Back
Top Bottom