• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
PC gamers on a PC gamers forum are upset about expensive PC gaming cards. There is nothing to be shocked at here. I'm surprised how everyone is up in arms about this. Just wait patiently for prices to drop which they will when mining becomes unprofitable again. It’s a free market and this is how capitalism works. High demand equals high prices.

There is nothing that anyone can do about cryptos and it looks like they are here to stay. Even the government has admitted that they can’t ban cryptocurrencies and can only regulate them. There is probably not much that GPU manufacturers can do either. We all need to sit tight and weather this storm out J

Soldato
If we are being honest folks the MAIN reason the prices are what they are is greed. Isn't it amazing that every time these days there is something new and shiny released there is a 'shortage' of supply which immediately pushes up prices. Thereafter the must haves will pay just about anything to get their 'shiny' and then just when you think things might return to normal, bam the new shiny are great for mining and prices shoot up even more. Then, another shortage comes along etc. am I the only one who thinks we are being played. Conveniently they have the 'pound' and 'brexit' to blame which people buy into of course but they are not responsible for prices doubling or trebling or more on memory or on some graphics cards. We could do more of course by growing some balls and not buying at these ridiculous prices, which is what I am doing.

Associate
It's getting ridiculous, I remember when my I got my RX480, I managed to get it a week before it doubled in price, I was very lucky!
the problem here is that the demande didn't really increase, since there was no stock already, retailer just set the price according to the value of the coin to anticipate the demande, i wish sapphire or AMD opens single unit pre-orders directly from them :D, i might finaly get my nitro 56 QQ
PC gamers on a PC gamers forum are upset about expensive PC gaming cards. There is nothing to be shocked at here. I'm surprised how everyone is up in arms about this. Just wait patiently for prices to drop which they will when mining becomes unprofitable again. It’s a free market and this is how capitalism works. High demand equals high prices.

There is nothing that anyone can do about cryptos and it looks like they are here to stay. Even the government has admitted that they can’t ban cryptocurrencies and can only regulate them. There is probably not much that GPU manufacturers can do either. We all need to sit tight and weather this storm out J
there is plenty of different parties that could cut the desktop gpu supply off miners, but so far everyone is waiting for the equilibrium of bitcoin/eth to happen, as they are making money out of it.
but my guess, the longer this lasts the higher the chances that this starts trending with law makers.

Associate
the problem here is that the demande didn't really increase, since there was no stock already, retailer just set the price according to the value of the coin to anticipate the demande, i wish sapphire or AMD opens single unit pre-orders directly from them :D, i might finaly get my nitro 56 QQ

there is plenty of different parties that could cut the desktop gpu supply off miners, but so far everyone is waiting for the equilibrium of bitcoin/eth to happen, as they are making money out of it.
but my guess, the longer this lasts the higher the chances that this starts trending with law makers.

Direct purchases from AMD would be great and it seems to work for NVIDIA I guess :D. We shall see in regards to lawmakers but from what I read they simply want to regulate the market which seems fair enough. Interesting times ahead!

Soldato
Whatever happened to the 'mining edition' cards that were supposed to help alleviate the problem? They seem to be more expensive than the 'gaming edition' cards.

Soldato
Whatever happened to the 'mining edition' cards that were supposed to help alleviate the problem? They seem to be more expensive than the 'gaming edition' cards.

At the end of the day, they don't really resolve the problem. IF you are producing mining cards you aren't producing gaming cards. And mining cards have no resale value at all, so they aren't that popular with a lot of miners who just mine when they aren't gaming.

Soldato
Two reasons RE: mining cards. Too expensive and no resale value, completely pointless option IMO.

I'd consider them if they were say, half the price of a regular GPU.

Associate
Two reasons RE: mining cards. Too expensive and no resale value, completely pointless option IMO.

I'd consider them if they were say, half the price of a regular GPU.
believe me nerf the desktop parts, and buff up the hash of pro or mining gpus and they will buy them, only squishy alt-miners who won't risk increasing the return period on their investment would walk away from it, and those are specifically the ones who give trouble to gpu manufacturers, they often poorly cool their mining rig, badly optimize it, in few month the gpu is good for RMA, and they are the ones who sell the gpu once they cash out short term, rather than miners who just switch to another alt-coin when difficulty or value drops.
so to me this is not just viable, this is the best course of action for AMD, Nvidia and gamers.

Soldato
believe me nerf the desktop parts, and buff up the hash of pro or mining gpus and they will buy them, only squishy alt-miners who won't risk increasing the return period on their investment would walk away from it, and those are specifically the ones who give trouble to gpu manufacturers, they often poorly cool their mining rig, badly optimize it, in few month the gpu is good for RMA, and they are the ones who sell the gpu once they cash out short term, rather than miners who just switch to another alt-coin when difficulty or value drops.
so to me this is not just viable, this is the best course of action for AMD, Nvidia and gamers.

But no matter how you divide up the stock of GPUs between mining cards and gaming cards, there'd still be a shortage so it wouldn't solve much.

Associate
But no matter how you divide up the stock of GPUs between mining cards and gaming cards, there'd still be a shortage so it wouldn't solve much.
not necessarily, AMD doesn't increase production out of fear of being stuck with it like in 2014, or that miner flood the market with used cards, 2 things that should be solved, mining cards wont be sold to gamers, and having another gpu for mining market specifically would help them estimate their shipement better, gaming they have the hostory, and mining opening pre-orders should do the trick, so the only problem could be the fab capacity, but we are not talking about TSMC here, im sure glofo must have plenty left.

Back
Top Bottom