• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It's greed pure and simple, why do miners keep buying card after card?

Can't they just be content with a couple of GPU's? Make a few extra £ to maybe cover the cost of the card/s they bought and make a little extra to put a way in savings, but no they always want more and more, it never seems to be enough.

As long as my mortgage and bills are covered, and I am able to save a little to cover for hobbies/holiday/emergencies etc, I'm happy, I don't chase extra money, I don't do overtime at work to earn more because I believe time is more precious. However it appears I'm in the minority with that view, as the majority are hell bent on always wanting more. It's a sad state of affairs really

Soldato
It's greed pure and simple, why do miners keep buying card after card?

Can't they just be content with a couple of GPU's? Make a few extra £ to maybe cover the cost of the card/s they bought and make a little extra to put a way in savings, but no they always want more and more, it never seems to be enough.

As long as my mortgage and bills are covered, and I am able to save a little to cover for hobbies/holiday/emergencies etc, I'm happy, I don't chase extra money, I don't do overtime at work to earn more because I believe time is more precious. However it appears I'm in the minority with that view, as the majority are hell bent on always wanting more. It's a sad state of affairs really

Maybe they are using mining to pay for bills and mortgage? how do you know? And because the difficulty in mining increases, you need more cards to earn the same money you were earning last week.

Associate
Maybe they are using mining to pay for bills and mortgage? how do you know? And because the difficulty in mining increases, you need more cards to earn the same money you were earning last week.

And if enough people join in mining should be pretty much unprofitable for most people. So if you want cheaper cards download nicehash start mining and raise the difficulty levels:)

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Yes I'm sure those buying 10 + gpus from the get go don't have enough money to pay for their mortgage and bills in the first place :p

And why not just call it a day when its become too difficult to mine. You've recovered the cost of your 1 or 2 gpus and made a little extra on top so just stop there dont be greedy.

Caporegime
I don't think you can justify something purely on the basis that it pays your bills and your mortgage.

Otherwise I will might selling crystal meth, and just tell the judge, "It's OK, I was doing it to pay the bills."

Most people work to pay their bills; I'm not sure why we're supposed to have sympathy for a person who is trying to pay his bills by leaving his PC on 24/7? Doesn't seem like a particularly noble enterprise to me :p

Associate
Why wouldnt someone buy more GPUs if they could. It's not greed, its grabbing an opportunity.

I guess it depends what you want out of life, time watching EastEnders at home after work or making a bit of money so you can watch EastEnders in Barbados with a cold one.

I don't watch EastEnders btw, too busy mining from Barbados. ;)

Associate
So glad i got my 1080ti on release, its worth £100 more almost 12 months later than when bought new. But tbh i bet the suppliers are keeps supply as low as possible to keep the prices high, price fixing at its best

Associate
The cheapest 1070 on ocuk is £500 now £550 for a in stock card i paid £360 for mine two years ago

this is not getting better any time soon

Last edited:
Associate
When buying card, you just go to eshop, pick cards, sort them high to low and check the in stock.
No need to compare few similar cards and adjust prices to see if they are worth. You pick first card you want
and you do it NOW or two minutes later its gone :)
Easy as hell.

edit:typo

Last edited:
Soldato
So glad I got my card when I did. I'd hate to be in position to have to buy any gpu now, market is a complete mess, I bet I could even profit on my standard 1070, I only paid 350 at time

Soldato
Six pages in and not a single comment from any OCUK staff.

I'd like to think its because they're ashamed of the part they're playing in all of this, destroying the PC gaming scene, but I doubt it :rolleyes:

Soldato
Would if be even possible for nvidia and amd to do a new driver that gimps cards instantly when it comes to mining? I know they won't as in reality they won't care prices are high it's a sale none the less

Man of Honour
Would if be even possible for nvidia and amd to do a new driver that gimps cards instantly when it comes to mining? I know they won't as in reality they won't care prices are high it's a sale none the less

Making them crap at mining makes them also terrible at professional work loads and reduces gaming performance

Soldato
I don't think you can justify something purely on the basis that it pays your bills and your mortgage.

Otherwise I will might selling crystal meth, and just tell the judge, "It's OK, I was doing it to pay the bills."

Most people work to pay their bills; I'm not sure why we're supposed to have sympathy for a person who is trying to pay his bills by leaving his PC on 24/7? Doesn't seem like a particularly noble enterprise to me :p
Meth is illegal, mining isn't :).
And I think many would rather have a way of making money roll in for the least amount of effort. Some mugs however I'm sure enjoy the 9-5 grind for 45+ years of their lives. Cant retire on mining of course but there are periods where it can give a little additional income, but still comes with risks mind you.

Associate
I really think they need to do something about this. Of course governments don't care that I can't afford to upgrade my PC anymore, but they SHOULD care about the massive amounts of power being wasted mining Bitcoins.

https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/

One more example how greed and stupidity are destroying our environment for future generations.

Associate
Well, I suppose anyone buying it would be able to heat their house whilst mining.... :) But I assume I'd still be adding a good few hundred pounds at the moment to see a significant upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom