• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
He's not wrong with the end point in regards to having an insatiable demand.

Is he? The mining craze has been going since early last year, yet there has been plenty of times when there has been loads of cards in stock at reasonable prices for gamers.

Mining isn't going to be constant demand all the time. It ebbs and flows.

Caporegime
Is he? The mining craze has been going since early last year, yet there has been plenty of times when there has been loads of cards in stock at reasonable prices for gamers.

In contrast to previous generations when mining wasn't a thang, many cards haven't dropped below their launch price even for a second.

Caporegime

And once the GPU's go in stock they quickly disappear, hence the insatiable demand.

Soldato
It depends how profitable mining is. When it's as profitable as it is right now, demand is essentially infinite as GPUs become money printing machines (oh the irony) as the ROI is so short, even on top end cards.

When it's less profitable and ROI is longer and the investment is more risky, demand is somewhat lower.

Previously we were in the second case, where it was only the most efficient cards being hoovered up by miners. Now we're in the former, where any powerful card is hoovered up.

My GPU upgrade can go do one until proof of work is dead, either way. My 970 will just have to do.

Soldato
As for your salary scenario.. Make hey whilst the sun shines. Nvidia/amd will recover

So you say I think particularly in AMD's case it will burn them (again).

Making hay while the sun shines is also a really bad analogy......

That saying means to make the best of opportunity totally out of your control (I. E when the sun is shining) because regardless of whether you make hay or not the sun won't be shining at some point....

In this case the equivalent action to the 'making of hay' (selling to crypto miners) with it being done to excess and with the hay not being used or sold to its normal market is potentially the cause of it not being so sunny down the road....

So its the difference between what you should do re factors that are somewhat controllable vs ones that totally are not.

Associate
engage tin foil hat! How do we know its not AMD and NVidia who are doing the mining... I bet the ROI is super low when you're the person making the cards, cut out the middle man, say a quarter of the gpus go on the open market the rest goes right into their own giant mining farms. I mean sure they would be ******* off all their board partners by drip feeding them parts, but would they even know it was happening?

This is probably nonsense but it would be an interesting twist to the whole thing :p

Soldato
All this talk of manufacturers doing the mining... Come on, get a grip! JCB don't dig holes, they sell machines to people who dig holes.

Demand is high, so are prices and stock is low. It's economics. Nvidia or AMD don't care what they're being used for... It's all money and good times for the bottom line. They also don't care what the second hand market does as they will always be able to replenish the first hand market with bigger and better.

Also, if companies like OcUK get business orders for all their stock then good luck to them. Push the price up and see if they still fly off the shelves... They do? Get in there. Can't fault them one bit.

AMD were getting read the last rites before Ryzen came along, and it's just as well that miners are buying all their GPU stock because gamers wouldn't. :p

Associate
Like many people I have the cash to upgrade but I’m not paying £500+ for a 1070TI and will stick with my 970 until prices sort themselves out or the PC gaming market dies. I bought the 970 for £245 so a 1070TI for £500+ is silly.

Associate
Well Nvidia are already selling pallets of GFX cards directly to miners according to Jayztwocents despite what they say in the press about miners being bad, so i wouldn't put it past them.

It's in his interest for gamers to be able to buy hardware, as it means people will watch his predominantly gamer-centric videos. Hardly a reliable source. He is far from impartial on many subjects.

Soldato
£500+ is silly.

Exactly. Nothing to do with blame or not understanding how market forces work. If the p.c gaming market is going to be periodically unstable over the long term then investment by both consumers buying products and manufacturers in R&D and innovation of products in the p.c gaming market, which covers a much wider range of gear than just g.p.u's starts to look rather stupid.

G J

G J

Associate
As much as I'm dissapointed with the prices I with many others have already accepted the high prices as some gamers where happy to keep pushing prices up its now mining has had a massive effect on it.

Group A: Hey guys we have concerns that AMD/nVidia have no incentive to drop prices as long as people keep paying this inflated pricing, these cards are getting way too expensive for many. Remember when certain range of cards cost xxx / Costs where more resonable / People may start getting priced out if the market.

Group B: Don't like it dont buy it, poor AMD/nVidia have to make money, lololol poor people.

Mining craze is where we are now and group B is like: WWWAAAAAHHHH miners taking all the cards, they pushing the pricing up and now gamers cant afford the cards. They're worse then trump/brexit voters. :p

I dont mine and I have no intrest in doing so and I dont mind others mining but to shift all the blame on the people that do mine is pretty dumb when a lot of gamers where happy to keep paying rising card pricing even before the situation we're in now. I like how gamers where completely happy to pay 600/700/800 for a card and as soon as it goes up in price £40-80 they hit like a breaking point and no longer want the card, the cards where overpriced before and now you want out lol.

Dont get me started on people that are happy to pay insane pricing for delidded CPU's for an extra 200-400mhz. Intel really should corner that market but they proberly make more money then ever to bother.

Last edited:
Associate
Second, before Christmas all these cards were in stock at reasonable prices and nobody was buying them. Where were all the gamers a month ago??

Seriously ? Lets just have a moment inspecting this.
Gamers do buy a card from time to time, as many miners already pointed out in drive for their self-justification. They do count the money as its not activity that is bringing money into their pocket (excl. exceptions), and tend to buy all year round, with consideration of sales and such.
Miners on other hand buy just for profit, so as long as the price fit into their scheme,they are taking everything they can.

So let me ask you this, where were you whole last year ? Why didn't you buy your cards cheaper whole 2017 ? Where were you when Christmas sales were on ?
Why the f-word are you buying it for obviously upped prices and in such amounts ? Make that stupid argument again, I dare you.
---
On more civilized note, AMD APUs (and their Intel counterparts, sadly I am not following development on blue side much), even tho not the greatest things are scheduled to be released in near future, which could help the masses to overcome this GPU problem. If I want my dedicated graphics card at reasonable price though I will have to wait for mining bubble to burst (either PoW->PoS, or that the difficulty will rise faster than price or something along these lines) as I highly doubt cryptocurrency as whole will fail hard.

As a side note, there is one big rule in PC building, that should be obeyed at all times. Each part of such rig should be on par with all others, for obvious reasons.
If I am forced into lower segment of GPU market just not to pay for someones desire to make money, pardon me if I am not happy about that. I would be paying for card I don't want right now and will have to likely replace it later at loss of amount for lesser card, even if I happen to resale it for somewhat good money, which is unlikely.

Associate
Great time for my 7950 to die on me :( Looks like I'm going to be taking some time away from gaming until these prices settle down a little.

I'm currently worrying about the same thing. My 5870 has been in use since 2010! :( Trying to spend a lot more time catching up on old and cheap PS3 games that I'd always intended to play.

Back
Top Bottom