• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphic's card advice

Associate
OP
Soldato
loading to windows and installing the driver's where no problem either, but every time I tried to play a game or even run furmark it would shut my whole computer off (as if I'd pulled the power cable out) then it would restart on itself and load back into windows without any error messages.

That indicates that either the GPU or the PSU is faulty. Given that you've tried two PSUs, despite your current PSU being made by HEC and a low-quality unit, I'm thinking that it's more likely the GPU. Have you checked that the GPU fan is working?

Soldato
You are all going a bit overboard on the PSU. If he was going for a higher performing card I would get a better PSU. More than likely his current PSU is fine.

There is no components in his current system that put any stress on a PSU and even a 970 or 1060 will change that.

The Kolink PSU is fine for his needs. It's not a cheap crappy one, it has passed the 80 plus bronze certification.

OP you are overthinking this. Buy the 1060. If it doesn't work, worry about the PSU then.

Soldato
Ah...CiT...the PSU brand that's well known for making PSU with power output over the 12v rail with like less than 40% of the claimed "overall" max
output, and units that are known for being PC killers.

That freaking time bomb need to be removed from your PC asap!

Permabanned
I think at the moment crimbo wise and budget I may be better getting a lower priced gpu and spending more on the psu the kids at most wanted to play ARK so maybe something that is capable of that? would any of the 2gb nvida cards be enought?

I'd look for the cheapest 500 watt model from a decent brand like Antec, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic or Superflower. Hopefully you can find one for under £50.

Ah...CiT...

That freaking time bomb need to be removed from your PC asap!

That's the one I bought, It was a 750 watt that blew while trying to power my new Asus 560ti. :(

Associate
Why has this thread become obsessed with the PSU when it seems much more likely that the GPU is the problem? Yes, CiT aren't the greatest PSU makers, but then you have the horror stories being relayed here of the 12v rail only supplying 40% of what it's meant to do, well, even if that is true, it would still be enough for a 970/1060 system.
Yes, a decent PSU is always smart, but first solve the actual problem of today, then work on the next weak link, which is likely the PSU.

Soldato
There's a saying, C.I.T is Chinese for I.E.D :p

I actually had a buddy last money with the exact same symptoms as you after installing an AMD R9 Nano, his issue was the 700W CIT PSU he was trying to power it with not the card, once he got a decent PSU his systems been rock stable since.

I'm not saying a new/decent PSU "will" fix the issue, but it could and it's really something you should do anyway regardless buying the 1060. CIT PSUs are the only ones I have ever seen fail so spectacularly that they are literally firing lightning bolts out the fan grill lol.

Why has this thread become obsessed with the PSU when it seems much more likely that the GPU is the problem?
It could be either the PSU or the GPU, from what he's said it does sound more likely the GPU however the PSU still needs replacing as he's using a grenade level unit.

There's no point buying a GTX1060 unit the PSU issue is sorted as A that might fix the issue and B

Associate
OP
I think the best bet from the advice given is getting both, however money being tight at the moment due to christmas and other bills is there a cheaper nvidia card than the 4gb one that would run ark and feed and grow fish ok so I could spend more on the psu?

really appreciate the feedback guys.

cheers

Soldato

I wouldn't get the 1050ti. I would get a 1060 and get a PSU later if needed. That's just me though.

Black Friday is coming up, so you might get a good deal on a GPU or PSU near the end of the month. It might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
Why has this thread become obsessed with the PSU when it seems much more likely that the GPU is the problem? Yes, CiT aren't the greatest PSU makers, but then you have the horror stories being relayed here of the 12v rail only supplying 40% of what it's meant to do, well, even if that is true, it would still be enough for a 970/1060 system.
Yes, a decent PSU is always smart, but first solve the actual problem of today, then work on the next weak link, which is likely the PSU.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was the label itself claim it can deliver like around 300W ish over 12v rail on a 700W PSU, and the reality they cannot even achieve that claim.

Associate
CiT is not in the PSU review database; from what I gather, it's the same manufacturer as HEC, who are in the database. But not a single review of their power supplies is listed there. I guess the likes of bit-tech and jonnyguru can't even be bothered to review these for comedic effect, must be proper generic rubbish not even worth looking at.

Back
Top Bottom