• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics cards prices on the mend- Scalpers losses

Permabanned
Just observing how graphics card prices are on the mend. Some Scalpers are making looses on scalping FE cards on auction sites:D, since Monday. This looks like great news for the GPU market, as buying a cards for less than msrp is around the corner, if you hold out.

Do you reckon retailers would follow? How long until we see cards below msrp, new and used?

Permabanned
OP
Ive noticed on FB Marketplace the price of 3090FE have dropped significantly, a few my way are available around £1600 now rather than the crazy 2k + prices of last month.

I saw some like that, if the site takes their cut of 10% of the £1600 and with postage costs like £50 as you will not want an expensive item to get damaged without insurance, the scalper is breaking even at best or taking a small loss there. Then going through all of that lool

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I need retail prices close to msrp. For that to happen, retailers first need to clear the stock they acquired at high prices.

I won't be buying second hand, as I expect anything 20xx onward will have been thrashed to death by a bedroom miner. It's just not worth the risk.

As mentioned above, warranties aren't transferable in most cases. That adds to the risk.

I've waited 9 months, and expect to wait another 3 months, at least.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel, at last.

Check around, I saw a retailer scrub £400 off an AIB 3080ti overnight. It was listed at £1,900 then today £1,499. If I did not have a card, I would have done it! It might be gone now but still worth a look.

I think the RTX 3080 Ti is less desirable as there are more cards out there ? It's just as powerful as the 3090 so why less desirable?

Permabanned
OP
EVGA is asking customers if they want to change to the non mining gpu as well so thats a good sign.
Also noticed a lot of higher priced cards on Scalpbay not getting sold at all. Good. I do hope they are having to pay every time they list the item.
Plus Scalpbay taking a large cut in their ramped-up greed making it less profitable still for scalpers. All good signs for gamers, but I still would not trust a second hand 3080/90 thats been running at 100c 24x7 for many months!

:cry: Scalpbay , haliarous but true. You can get new cards on there, but right now , used cards are must be tested first.

Permabanned
OP
Lol just got that email from EVGA about changing my kids card to non mining edition.
Which do you prefer, I feel as though the version that mines could be more disierable now but when mining is fully banned in the UK the LHR card might be more disireable
Yeah prices are coming down. New LHR 3070s down to £750-850. That emarket scalped 3080s down to 1200. Power shifting back to the buyers. There will be some losses.
:rolleyes:

Permabanned
OP
I've seen at least five 3070's that can be bought for £750 to £850 from an etailer, all good AIB models. What suprised me was that they had 3090 AIB Palit card for £2k and that would be nearing msrp?

Permabanned
OP
Doesn't surprise me too much. The 3090 is so expensive, even at MSRP, that not many peeps can afford it so it's not "flying off the shelves". Plenty of stock all over the place that's not moving. I expect bargains to be had in the near future on those. Even then though, "bargains" will likely still be out of the range of most potential buyers.

2 grand is a lot to pay for a GPU, you would have thought NV and AIBs knew this.

Permabanned
OP
They'll come down, some retailers are resisting this but it will have to happen soon. I guess depends on how much they paid for them. First 3090 spotted at £1900 that's £500 off from a couple of weeks ago!

What an age we live in! :D

That's a good sign, I'm also seeing that once furlough gets cancelled in September and people are told to go back to work , definitely more gpus should flood in.

Permabanned
OP
A 6800xt is totally competitive with a 3080.

6800xt is definitely a good card, they need to get FSR working with more games like Cyberpunk2077 and all the Nvidia games asap then I would consider it If the FSR is any good as Cyberpunk2077 is unplayable either 6800xt for me .

But a good 6800xt AIB is a good card at the right price.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
More and more MSI 3080 Ti’s (and 3080’s) in stock from UK retailers… good luck scalpers, retail prices are high so I doubt they will be buying them up any time soon.

Stock levels are holding, so I can actually do some window shopping :cry:

:) Once this is fixed , we need some new AAA PC games for 2021

Permabanned
OP
By saying they have no intent to every make anymore mining gpu versions so if you dont swap then you will never get your card.

I have understood what's going on a little more since spending time on this forum.

There are indeed miners and scalpers amongst us, I reckon some people have 2 plus gpus and claim we are gamers as well etc , they are mining and some also scalple cards too.

So retailers/AIB etc set their prices high because of them. Now with the China, Iran etc issued Cryoto mining bans and UK crypto exchange ban and UK banks looking to wage war on crypto for fraud rises and block crypto payments. The mining has tumbled and people have reduced the buying up of GPUs so price has come down.

I've noticed NV have not released their mining cards yet? But there are a lot of LHR cards in stores as miners won't touch them ;)

Permabanned
OP
Madness - I'm starting to think bagging a 3090 FE at MSRP was looking like a good idea now lol

I get your thought :D Some professionals need that 24GBV of VRAM and some people on here reckon you might need 24GB to future proof the card , but it is already a very expensive purchase.

OcUk might have Palit 3090 cards for £2,000, those cards are AIBs as well so you would get that extra grunt and cooling...

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I'm guessing that was from the UK as i noticed some places had stock yesterday at around that sort of price, personally it was more than i was willing to pay although it's certainly cheaper than they used to be, I'm hoping the return of stock and falling prices' are a sign that things maybe returning to 'normal'. Or for me at least no more than £20-30 over MSRP, plus £100 over MSRP is to rich for my blood, value is very subjective though.

If it's too expensive, return the card, because if you can't afford it as it's overpriced, then you could get into financial problems.

Back
Top Bottom