• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics cards prices on the mend- Scalpers losses

Permabanned
Just observing how graphics card prices are on the mend. Some Scalpers are making looses on scalping FE cards on auction sites:D, since Monday. This looks like great news for the GPU market, as buying a cards for less than msrp is around the corner, if you hold out.

Do you reckon retailers would follow? How long until we see cards below msrp, new and used?

kar

kar

Associate
Crypto might be on the rise but the hash rate collapse in China is utter.
The effect of that as well as increased production is starting to show signs in the market.

Soldato
just looking at auction site 3080 hitting £1200 mark now , so FE is still worth scalping I guess not sure about AIB's, with how high auction fees are hopefully it soon gets to the point its not worth it anymore

Also why are people buying these , pretty sure some cant transfer warranties ? also wouldnt trust some of them if down the line needed help with that

Last edited:
Soldato
I need retail prices close to msrp. For that to happen, retailers first need to clear the stock they acquired at high prices.

I won't be buying second hand, as I expect anything 20xx onward will have been thrashed to death by a bedroom miner. It's just not worth the risk.

As mentioned above, warranties aren't transferable in most cases. That adds to the risk.

I've waited 9 months, and expect to wait another 3 months, at least.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel, at last.

Associate
Think about the warranty as well.

I just had to return my 3080 FE to the retailer for investigation, lucky I am the original purchaser (only purchased in Jun 2021). The card’s fans run at 80%+ majority of the time and the memory temps. are constantly in the 100C’s, peaking at 106C. The card is roasting hot, and sounds like my Dyson, which is not right for gaming.

I note the RT games do really push the 3080 FE. I have reverted to my MSI 3070 for the time being, that runs the RT games fine, missing the 3080 performance already :(

I don’t use the card for mining, not interested.

Associate
I saw 3060 ti price is dropping on Facebook marketplace. 500 quid is the lowest I've seen so far. I think the price can continue to go down.
I am not 100% about retailers' prices. Some people thought retailers purchased at a higher distributed price. If that is true, the price should go down slower unless retailers are willing to take losses or just break even.

Permabanned
OP
Ive noticed on FB Marketplace the price of 3090FE have dropped significantly, a few my way are available around £1600 now rather than the crazy 2k + prices of last month.

I saw some like that, if the site takes their cut of 10% of the £1600 and with postage costs like £50 as you will not want an expensive item to get damaged without insurance, the scalper is breaking even at best or taking a small loss there. Then going through all of that lool

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I need retail prices close to msrp. For that to happen, retailers first need to clear the stock they acquired at high prices.

I won't be buying second hand, as I expect anything 20xx onward will have been thrashed to death by a bedroom miner. It's just not worth the risk.

As mentioned above, warranties aren't transferable in most cases. That adds to the risk.

I've waited 9 months, and expect to wait another 3 months, at least.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel, at last.

Check around, I saw a retailer scrub £400 off an AIB 3080ti overnight. It was listed at £1,900 then today £1,499. If I did not have a card, I would have done it! It might be gone now but still worth a look.

I think the RTX 3080 Ti is less desirable as there are more cards out there ? It's just as powerful as the 3090 so why less desirable?

Associate
Also noticed a lot of higher priced cards on Scalpbay not getting sold at all. Good. I do hope they are having to pay every time they list the item.
Plus Scalpbay taking a large cut in their ramped-up greed making it less profitable still for scalpers. All good signs for gamers, but I still would not trust a second hand 3080/90 thats been running at 100c 24x7 for many months!

Associate
Watch the 3080 Ti’s on scalpbay, it’s so funny seeing sellers take £’s off their asking price, and then scalpers under cutting each other.

With the lack of buyers, prices are dropping fast! Buy it now prices are in the £1.3k range. Just keep holding out people… we are winning the battle.

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
Its great that this is happening, because the scalpers who scalped the most have the most to lose.

Get rekt.

Prices will continue to drop till about Christmas which is when I think everything will be close to normal, price and supply wise.

Permabanned
OP
EVGA is asking customers if they want to change to the non mining gpu as well so thats a good sign.
Also noticed a lot of higher priced cards on Scalpbay not getting sold at all. Good. I do hope they are having to pay every time they list the item.
Plus Scalpbay taking a large cut in their ramped-up greed making it less profitable still for scalpers. All good signs for gamers, but I still would not trust a second hand 3080/90 thats been running at 100c 24x7 for many months!

:cry: Scalpbay , haliarous but true. You can get new cards on there, but right now , used cards are must be tested first.

Back
Top Bottom