Greece - 6 day working week

Most of my working life was on a 46 hour contract. It was over 4 nights though (Mon-Thurs) so I was happy with that.
When I first started work back in the 80's six days was normal.
Now everybody wants to work 30 hours (at home) and get paid for 40. :p

Last edited:
My employer is struggling to recruit, and as such is trying to enforce a "mandatory" 10% overtime...

There's obviously pushback, but it's an alternative to the 6-day week I suppose

I see nothing wrong with this:
'Under the extended working week, staff in select industries and manufacturing facilities will have the option of working an additional two hours a day or an extra eight-hour shift, rewarded with a top-up fee of 40% added to the daily wage.'

Of course it will slowly get eroded until it's just another working day though, as happened to Sunday shop workers...

I work 6 days a week every week since I started working other than holidays and the coof. Its great as it only gives you half the number of free days to spend all of your monies on computer parts and so you end up saving more. You also get paid more too as you are going more hours. On average I do 53-56 hours which is easily sustainable all year round without burning out.

life is about living not working. Work to life balance you'd hope would get better as we go but clearly not the case. Plenty of people have no real "hobbies" outside of work so their whole life is just "working" which means they're happy to sit at work for 60 hours a week because it "keeps" them busy.

it's all a bit sad to be honest.

I work 6 days a week every week since I started working other than holidays and the coof. Its great as it only gives you half the number of free days to spend all of your monies on computer parts and so you end up saving more. You also get paid more too as you are going more hours. On average I do 53-56 hours which is easily sustainable all year round without burning out.
Also gives you half the number of days to actually have a life. Fine for a short period of time if you just want to pile some money in the bank but it's no way to live if you can avoid it.

48 working week as barbaric!?

I can think of plenty of professions that do that as par for the course already.

I can see this as more of a way to get out of paying overtime.

long hours are normal for many people in the UK

I used to work 53+ in 2017 and my first full time job was 45 + we regularly had overtime on top of that.

And the UK laws mean nothing for many people either, i worked on a MOD camp ( run by contractors now ) and i spoke to a security guard there who said they had worked 72 hours ( 12 hour shift for 6 days straight )

**** that, recently gone down to 9 day fortnight and already considering to just go down to 4 day a week from next year. I do 8hrs a day so average 36hrs a week. Down from 37.5hrs a week.

Also gives you half the number of days to actually have a life. Fine for a short period of time if you just want to pile some money in the bank but it's no way to live if you can avoid it.
Plenty of other at my work choose to do the same, even with kids and hobbies. You find you use you're time much more wisely when there is less free time a appreciate it more. You can plan your week better and make sure you get in all the hobbies or activities you want pretty easily.

Most people go home and sit on the sofa like a vegetable half the evening or sit on a forum complaining about cossie lives or house prices, life would be much easier if they just put a few extra hours in. Obviously if you can do everything you want only working a normal hours that's great. I've found saving for a house, being able to have 3 cars has been much easier working more hours and wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom