Greece - 6 day working week

Caporegime
OP
Easy solution, find a tradwife.

Yeah this would be a solution to be fair. She'd have to work too though!

nnhbkLn.gif

Associate
The reason I find this weird, is that most of the Greeks I know working in Greece (admittedly all are private sector) are already working 6 day weeks, some doing 72hrs.

This government will definitely be trying to find ways to make an impact and be seen to be doing something, but I cannot believe for a second that the objective of this is simply to get people to work more hours.

Soldato
I now do 4.5 days a week Fri afternoon house and garden admin , rest leisure (unless we have a project on house / garden ) plus we have long daylight hours during the week , sometimes but not often nip to Watergate bay for a surf after work, usually CBA though.
6 days ,.......shoot me please ( form an orderly queue volunteers)

Caporegime
Big companies are behind the curve but lots of small/startups have leaned into it quite heavily. See lots of job postings on LinkedIn pushing it.

Yes - 28 or 30 hr weeks.

Startups typically want longer hours than a regular company. While hybrid working and remote work is often fine I'm not sure many would want you to do just 28 or 30 hour weeks unless you're essentially a part-time employee being paid proportionally less.

Associate
I suppose if you only motivation is money, then sure.
I wouldn't take it, but there are times in my life when it would have really helped to do for a while - if it's truly an option.
Maybe you shouldn't work at all if you aren't motivated by money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If your loaded like yourself and can take a pay cut then that's great, but many wagie slaves simply can't afford to do that.

I think that's the problem. The majority of workers are salaried and it tends to be certain sectors that offer significant amounts of overtime, often manual or factory work.

For me, I'd rather spend all those overtime hours training to get a job where I don't have to work 60 hours a week to earn the same amount I could in a 40 hour a week position.

Its not about spending more time at work its about making the time you spend outside of work high quality time and not wasting it away. I prefer quality over quantity.

But they're not mutually exclusive. Plenty of people who work 37.5 hours a week don't waste away when they're not at work. There's also the argument that the longer you work, the more exhausted you'll be when you're off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I work 6 days a week every week since I started working other than holidays and the coof. Its great as it only gives you half the number of free days to spend all of your monies on computer parts and so you end up saving more. You also get paid more too as you are going more hours. On average I do 53-56 hours which is easily sustainable all year round without burning out.

Thats fine, if you have nobody else your life such as an partner or kids to think about. As spending time with them instead of at work would be more important regardless of the money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No-one on their deathbed ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work"

Depends - shelf stackers and accountants perhaps, obviously, it would be very odd to be like; "I wish I'd done one more audit".

A filmmaker who didn't get to finish editing his last great movie? An author who didn't finish his final book in the series? They may have some regrets about procrastination or not putting enough focused time into it.

And in between those things, from what lots of people would find very boring mundane ways to spend a day to what lots of people might find very interesting, there are various careers where people actually enjoy a lot of what they do.

Brian is a paramedic and on the weekends he's also a combat medic in the Army Reserves... OMG Brian does extra work, averages 6 days a week... and sometimes the extra work leaves him cold, wet, extremely tired etc.. Yup, because he enjoys it and on his deathbed, he might well have fond memories of all that extra work. All those times with his buddies when he was cold wet and tired too, or indeed hot, sweaty and being shot at.

A not insignificant portion of the population sits in front of the TV for hours every day outside of work, I'd think that's probably more something to regret on a deathbed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If your loaded like yourself and can take a pay cut then that's great, but many wagie slaves simply can't afford to do that.

Definitely not loaded!.. According to the forum!
I know that's relative. But yes it's a huge benefit to get back time. That's the entire point of pay rises imo.

Most people think like that in terms of retiring earlier. But for me time now is better.

If I was given the choice. I'd probably take the 4 days and 35 hours.
Rather than 4 days and 30 hours.

But if take either vs 5 days

Last edited:
Soldato
life is about living not working. Work to life balance you'd hope would get better as we go but clearly not the case. Plenty of people have no real "hobbies" outside of work so their whole life is just "working" which means they're happy to sit at work for 60 hours a week because it "keeps" them busy.

it's all a bit sad to be honest.

This.

What I find incredible is when someone says “you’d be bored if you didn’t work”

I’m like what? Drop it to 4 days full pay and everyone would be way happier and productivity would go up or be similar

Pet Northerner
Don
Definitely not loaded!.. According to the forum!
I know that's relative. But yes it's a huge benefit to get back time. That's the entire point of pay rises imo.

Most people think like that in terms of retiring earlier. But for me time now is better.

If I was given the choice. I'd probably take the 4 days and 35 hours.
Rather than 4 days and 30 hours.

But if take either vs 5 days
I’d love to do my 37.5 in 4 instead of 5 days.

I do a lot of problem solving as part of my job (software developer) and would prefer the longer days to work on things then an extra full day to rest the old noggin.

Associate
My wife is planning to go down from a 37.5 hour 5 day week to a 35 hour 4 day week. Wish I had that option but it's never going to happen.

Man of Honour
I’d love to do my 37.5 in 4 instead of 5 days.

I do a lot of problem solving as part of my job (software developer) and would prefer the longer days to work on things then an extra full day to rest the old noggin.
I'm in the same role and I flip between it being a good idea and not.

Some days I'll finish my usual hours and my knackered because it's been full on and any extra hours spent would more likely introduce mistakes rather than anything productive and then on quieter days where I'm not being hounded because something broken and I can work at a quieter pace I'd happily bang out 12 useful hours for another day off.

Back
Top Bottom