Greece - 6 day working week

When I used to work in technical support, Mon-Sat was the norm for me until 2009.

I now work a 5-day week.

Job hunting was bad enough as it was when I was on the job market in 2002 and 2010. If more people worked a 4-day week, it would create more job vacancies to cover the 5 days / 7 days of the week. None of this elitist 100+ applicants going for 1 position.

Caporegime
No-one on their deathbed ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work"

I dunno, sounds like this guy and plenty of his colleagues might:

Plenty of other at my work choose to do the same, even with kids and hobbies. You find you use you're time much more wisely when there is less free time a appreciate it more. You can plan your week better and make sure you get in all the hobbies or activities you want pretty easily.

Most people go home and sit on the sofa like a vegetable half the evening or sit on a forum complaining about cossie lives or house prices, life would be much easier if they just put a few extra hours in. Obviously if you can do everything you want only working a normal hours that's great. I've found saving for a house, being able to have 3 cars has been much easier working more hours and wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My current and previous job have/had quite detailed performance and quality metrics for roles involved in stock handling either physical or administrative and you could quite clearly see the impact of people working 4, 5 or 6 days a week and how their day(s) off were laid out (having only one day off at a time has a huge negative impact on people's attitude, energy and motivation when it comes to work) - but managers would ignore it because it didn't fit with what they want to see/believe... instead when they don't see the results they expected they start doubling down on enforcing things like mobile phone usage, break time adherence, etc. as if that is the problem...

Associate
And they wonder why they are struggling to recruit.
Their argument is it's a geographic issue, most of the skills they want are not generated locally and the only system in place to generate those skills are in other parts of the country....

So yes, just make everyone work longer hours instead! Glad i'm a contractor.

Caporegime
long hours are normal for many people in the UK

I used to work 53+ in 2017 and my first full time job was 45 + we regularly had overtime on top of that.

And the UK laws mean nothing for many people either, i worked on a MOD camp ( run by contractors now ) and i spoke to a security guard there who said they had worked 72 hours ( 12 hour shift for 6 days straight )

I did 81 hours in a week during Christmas 2010. I worked 7 days. The previous Christmas I worked 21 days in a row. Burnt out, had a day off sick and got a verbal warning for having a day off!

This was all to save for a house deposit which we got at 23 years old. No way was that sustainable!

A load of laws come in at the time that put an end to it though.

In fact it was the deathknell of the place I worked at as they had a Flexi contract that meant they could make you work a 10 hour shift but had to give you two hours notice before the end of the shift. They stopped it and made everyone work 12 hour shifts instead with more days off but they didn't have the work for 24 hours as with the day and evening shift they only worked 16 hours a day up to 20 a day in busy periods. It meant they we were losing tens of thousands a week on labour.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'd take the pay cut to work 4 days if I could.
Or even 4 long days. Just waste the evening anyway most of the time

Associate
I'd take the pay cut to work 4 days if I could.
Or even 4 long days. Just waste the evening anyway most of the time
I did - moved jobs, big pay rise, upped pension payments and went to a four day week. Next promotion I'll drop to 3 then it will be retirement.

Soldato
I did 81 hours in a week during Christmas 2010. I worked 7 days. The previous Christmas I worked 21 days in a row. Burnt out, had a day off sick and got a verbal warning for having a day off!

This was all to save for a house deposit which we got at 23 years old. No way was that sustainable!

A load of laws come in at the time that put an end to it though.

In fact it was the deathknell of the place I worked at as they had a Flexi contract that meant they could make you work a 10 hour shift but had to give you two hours notice before the end of the shift. They stopped it and made everyone work 12 hour shifts instead with more days off but they didn't have the work for 24 hours as with the day and evening shift they only worked 16 hours a day up to 20 a day in busy periods. It meant they we were losing tens of thousands a week on labour.

wow thats grim, that is one of the worse companies i have ever heard of in the UK.

to give you a warning for being on sick for one day after what you had done for them is completely vile.

Man of Honour
My employer is struggling to recruit, and as such is trying to enforce a "mandatory" 10% overtime...

There's obviously pushback, but it's an alternative to the 6-day week I suppose
If they increased the salary being offered then they would be able to recruit. Mandating 10% overtime is just a cheap way to not have to pay higher salaries.

Caporegime
So happy I'm financially retired so that I don't have to put up with bosses demanding more and more for less and less and BS recruitment practices any more.

Yeah, why can’t more people just win the lottery :cry:

It’s a bit different when you need to work to become financially retired.

Back
Top Bottom