Greedfall - A new RPG game from Spiders

Soldato
How long is this game? Anyone completed it yet?

How far along have you all?

What level is your character @Poneros :)

Almost lvl30, I think I'm 25ish hrs in but I'm not done, though I have visited most zones. Game has a LOT of content even for a single playthrough though you are gonna need replay it to see how the choices play out as they're linked to a lot of other previous choices. Not unlike TW3.

Soldato
Finished! And by golly, what a great game!

It's really the perfect mix of everything. I can't remember ever having so much fun just fighting in an RPG before (the best parts of DA2's combat felt close to this), the way the character is controlled, the fighting, the animations, it's such a joy to play. It's one of the few where it feels like there's an actual range to the weapons and they feel different enough to actually be more than just the same stick with a different look. With a bit of modding and tweaking, this could be an incredible souls-like game. They did a great job on the bosses, especially the final one, there's a lot of room for adjusting difficulty there. A lot of it is just slightly increasing the speed of attacks & suddenly you have a very difficult and challenging game. I don't know if we can do it through mods yet but that's something to look for. It could add a lot of re-playability to the game more than just for story purposes. Either way, even as it is, there's plenty of challenging sections though not frustratingly so.

They nailed the visual identity of the game, with a unique look and very well executed. Nothing felt out of place, and nothing felt generic. I think that's the key, you can see a lot of detail in all kind of areas of the game but it always feels purposefully made & placed.

The story was also quite well written together with all the dialogue and for the first time in a long time I didn't groan through any of it. It's quite a refreshing change from all the cringe the big name developers tend to introduce with their games. It's like the opposite of DA:I, where that made me just wipe that game off my hard-drive immediately a few hours in, I couldn't bear it anymore even though I found the previous two hit the right mix for their writing. Sometimes there's a fine line between 'okay that's good' and '****! uninstall uninstall uninstall', eg New Dawn vs FC5 (perhaps the most egregious case).

And also, I can't stop hearing the OST in my head! It's so good & appropriately done for the setting of the game. It fits the theme perfectly. Just listen to this, I'm getting goose-bumps! (https://youtu.be/l8r3DsbOAtU?t=55)

All in all, it's not the individual elements that are necessarily the best, but rather it's them as a whole. This is a case of a game that's much greater than the sum of its parts. It does all the elements very well and leaves nothing behind, and putting them all together there's a kind of harmony to the whole which is so often missing in newer releases. I honestly think, if you like RPGs, this is going to be remembered as a classic.

Soldato
Have Spiders finally made a good game?... I'm pretty sure I predicted about 5 or 6 years ago that they'll get it right eventually!

They have always made games that are almost very good.

Back
Top Bottom