Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 29th August 2021]

Soldato
It was 100% a foul and if it had been the other way Utd fans would be saying it was a foul, in real time you can see his sock get dragged by Pogba's boot across his shin and then when you look at the still above it looks even more damning, thought the ref was poor all game tbh, the Euro's really showed how poor our referees actually are, they've been truly abysmal for a while now, shame UEFA couldn't clone Collina really.

Utd got lucky and did a proper smash and grab and DDG looked quite good as well and certainly earned them the win, perhaps he's now going to have to perform back to like he was a couple of years ago to keep his place in the team.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Based on the highlights we got away with one yesterday. Wolves looked much better than us and had the much better chances.

xG of over 2 vs 0.85 for United.

We could quite easily have 3 points from 3 games. I’m sure there will be all manner of excuses people have though, much like last year.

Associate
Yep was a clear foul. VAR should really be there do this kind of error.

Assuming neves get his yellow overturned, there is no way for yellows to be awarded after matches for pogba right? I thought it had to be serious foul play that had been missed by the ref (like a stamp) for retrospective punishment, but this may have changed.

Caporegime
Based on the highlights we got away with one yesterday. Wolves looked much better than us and had the much better chances.

xG of over 2 vs 0.85 for United.

We could quite easily have 3 points from 3 games. I’m sure there will be all manner of excuses people have though, much like last year.

But we had much higher xG than Soton? So by your logic it would be 6pts? Plus most of that xG was from a chance that was a clear foul on Varane.

Caporegime
But we had much higher xG than Soton? So by your logic it would be 6pts? Plus most of that xG was from a chance that was a clear foul on Varane.

Pretty much. Our performance yesterday was being unable to break down Wolves counter. With Fred it was just hopeless and he got bullied. We were a lot better second half. We still had 56% possession and a 86% pass rate. If we had Mctominay in that CDM role I think it would have been a lot different.

Over 3 games we are 4th on big chances created and 6th in shots. 3rd on goals. Two of those games away from home against arguably harder opposition to our main rivals. All with Mctominay, Rashford, Cavani all basically being absent.

One thing I have noticed is players have forgotten how to play under pressure of the crowds.

I also think Wolves are a lot better than thier position suggests. They have had the second most shots on goal and had a real tough first three games playing 3 of the big six.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime

Thats a fair comment. We are not playing well at the moment though. Outside of the first game where everything we hit went in we have looked a bit crap.

Soldato
Why on earth does Ole continue to play people out of position? Why is Sancho playing on the left, so James, a player who should be no where near the starting 11, can play on the right?

We haven't played well except for the first game against Leeds, a team that will allow you to play on most occasions (we spanked them at OT last season, but the reverse fixture was a 0-0 draw because they didn't try and go toe to toe). The squad is undoubtedly better than last season, we haven't had a hard start to the season, yet we're flattering to deceive.

Caporegime
Why on earth does Ole continue to play people out of position? Why is Sancho playing on the left, so James, a player who should be no where near the starting 11, can play on the right?

We haven't played well except for the first game against Leeds, a team that will allow you to play on most occasions (we spanked them at OT last season, but the reverse fixture was a 0-0 draw because they didn't try and go toe to toe). The squad is undoubtedly better than last season, we haven't had a hard start to the season, yet we're flattering to deceive.

Sancho has played just as much on the left as the right. Have you and Adam never watched him play?

Caporegime

Hm let's see, pogba 4 assists in 1 game from LW, I know stick him at CDM.

Soldato
Sancho has played just as much on the left as the right. Have you and Adam never watched him play?

I'm fully aware he has spent entire seasons on the left when playing for Dortmund, and due to being right footed his goal return is actually better from the left but that's an absolutely moot point. Where he fits in at Dortmund doesn't mean United will benefit from him playing on the left.

Wan Bisaka is always being flagged as a full back that doesn't offer you much going forward and that's why I think Sancho is better deployed on the right, both Shaw and Telles will ask more questions when going forwards on the left. Plus whilst James can also technically play both sides of the pitch, he hasn't done anything of note on the right hand side (not that he offers anything in other positions) historically played on the left for Swansea.

Basically, why play your strongest right sided player on the left? Leaving nothing down the right because neither AWB or James can put decent balls in? We were woeful yesterday so clearly that setup didn't work for us.

Soldato

Probably because he’s not a very good coach or tactician? Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see what the game plan is defensively or offensively. It’s like, he says just got out there and do your thing. The players look clueless at times.

Caporegime

It is not that. We have plenty of people who excel on the left be it Martial, Rashford or even Pogba but we are weak on the right with only Greenwood who can realistically play there but ideally his future will be down the middle.

Surely Sancho should be getting used to that right hand side as soon as Rashford is fit or if if Martial decides to show up he will not be playing down the left anyway.

Liverpool always play that rigid front three interchanging the middle with Bobby and Jota. Yes the players do drift but essentially Mane is on the left and Salah on the right.

Soldato
Probably because he’s not a very good coach or tactician? Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see what the game plan is defensively or offensively. It’s like, he says just got out there and do your thing. The players look clueless at times.
OGS plays not to lose, masquerading as the United way. It's all about results and his win ratio is actually pretty good vs the recent Man United managers. He however hasn't really got a coached style of play like Pep or Klopp, preferring to rely on inspirational players and application. I think he is limited but he's seldom been humbled. Last years defeat to Spurs was a pivotal moment and he's seldom trusted Pogba in CM since. Of course that neuters you as an offensive side because Fred is crap and McSauce is limited also. There is no style, pattern or philosophy other than "it's Man United" and for the most part Ole ball is actually quite turgid, similar to Fergie's last couple of seasons, LvG and Mourinho. The plan seems to be - buy as many good players as you can and one of them will bail you out-hence return of the prodigal son.

Back
Top Bottom