Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th May 2022]

Associate
Arsenal have improved to some degree but its still the same as they are still struggling against the top sides. They have managed a few wins this season but if you can't beat the top 4/6 teams its hard to get in there.

They also seem to go on a downer after a defeat and lose 3 or 4 more, then win a load before the same poor run of results happen. Could be a sign of the young squad but I feel their defence is really suspect and extremely overrated which isn't helping.

Soldato
Arsenal have improved to some degree but its still the same as they are still struggling against the top sides. They have managed a few wins this season but if you can't beat the top 4/6 teams its hard to get in there.

They also seem to go on a downer after a defeat and lose 3 or 4 more, then win a load before the same poor run of results happen. Could be a sign of the young squad but I feel their defence is really suspect and extremely overrated

we literally beat chelsea, utd and west ham in our last 4 games

that makes no sense whatsoever

Don
Arsenal spend a lot more then Liverpool lol.
Not really. As per SwissRamble's analysis of PSG's accounts, the difference in net transfer spend between Liverpool and Arsenal is just over £100m over the past 5 years however Liverpool have spent around £400m more than Arsenal in wages in that period.

Just like when Utd supporters were laughing about how Arsenal have spent more than them last summer, you cannot look at transfers like that. Arsenal might have been able to pay the £20m for Ronaldo but they could never get close to the £30-40m per season wages.

Soldato
Not really. As per SwissRamble's analysis of PSG's accounts, the difference in net transfer spend between Liverpool and Arsenal is just over £100m over the past 5 years however Liverpool have spent around £400m more than Arsenal in wages in that period.

Just like when Utd supporters were laughing about how Arsenal have spent more than them last summer, you cannot look at transfers like that. Arsenal might have been able to pay the £20m for Ronaldo but they could never get close to the £30-40m per season wages.
We are operating at a level where those wage levels are expected. Arsenal haven’t had CL football for what 5 seasons? We’ve won one and a title in that time.

When you consider the quality of the respected squads if they have spent 100 mil more in 5 years then lol as they are light years behind. That’s also 20% more which is significant and I assume your figure is gross not net. Net spend is important imo.

Don
We are operating at a level where those wage levels are expected. Arsenal haven’t had CL football for what 5 seasons? We’ve won one and a title in that time.

When you consider the quality of the respected squads if they have spent 100 mil more in 5 years then lol as they are light years behind. That’s also 20% more which is significant and I assume your figure is gross not net. Net spend is important imo.
You've lost me with that first line.

When looking at what a side has spent on their squad, you cannot look at transfer fees in isolation. Clubs spend far more in wages each season than they do on transfer fees after all. As I pointed out with the Ronaldo example, just because a transfer fee of a particular player might be less than another, the total package required to sign them may end up being far more. Thiago is another example. Most of the PL could afford the £25m fee but only 4 sides could have paid the wages to sign him.

Arsenal cannot compete financially with Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd or City, even if they did spend more on transfer fees last summer. And my figures were net. In terms of gross spend there's next to no difference between Liverpool and Arsenal over the past 5 years.

Associate
You've lost me with that first line.

When looking at what a side has spent on their squad, you cannot look at transfer fees in isolation. Clubs spend far more in wages each season than they do on transfer fees after all. As I pointed out with the Ronaldo example, just because a transfer fee of a particular player might be less than another, the total package required to sign them may end up being far more. Thiago is another example. Most of the PL could afford the £25m fee but only 4 sides could have paid the wages to sign him.

Arsenal cannot compete financially with Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd or City, even if they did spend more on transfer fees last summer. And my figures were net. In terms of gross spend there's next to no difference between Liverpool and Arsenal over the past 5 years.
Thiago is on the same wages as Partey

Pepe is on 140k, Luis Diaz is on less than 60k

Aubameyang earned more than any Liverpool player

Lacazette earns 180k, Jota earns 90k

Ben White earns 120k, Konate earns 70k, Matip 100k

Yes Liverpool pay far more overall but if Arsenal can clearly pay high wages, just to the wrong players it seems

Don
Thiago is on the same wages as Partey

Pepe is on 140k, Luis Diaz is on less than 60k

Aubameyang earned more than any Liverpool player

Lacazette earns 180k, Jota earns 90k

Ben White earns 120k, Konate earns 70k, Matip 100k

Yes Liverpool pay far more overall but if Arsenal can clearly pay high wages, just to the wrong players it seems
Yea, and I'm the Pope.

Associate
Really, Liverpool in 5 years have spent 400m more than Arsenal on wages. Seriously? I knew Arsenal can't complete financially but that can't be true?
Probably not considering Arsenal's wage bill last season and the season before and the season before was higher than Liverpool's. Probably previous ones too. Its only this year Arsenal's has dropped loads compared to Liverpool

Remember they were paying Ozil 350k a week

Don
Probably not considering Arsenal's wage bill last season and the season before and the season before was higher than Liverpool's. Probably previous ones too. Its only this year Arsenal's has dropped loads compared to Liverpool

You are so wrong it's frightening. Liverpool's wage bill in 19/20 was £326m, Arsenal's was £225m. These are figures taken from club accounts, not made up nonsense on twitter.

Man of Honour
OP

According to what? 20/21 Liverpool's was £314m vs ours at £238m

Back
Top Bottom