Greenlizard0 PL & FA Cup QF Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 19th March 2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It’s just emotions and sometimes emotions get the better of people.

When you get paid millions a year you need to be professional. No excuse. It just looks childish really.

It was also hilarious that he was moaning about being the better team and we should have won blah blah. People seem to forget that ETH made the subs that changed the game. We were attacking a lot more before the chaos and if Willian didn't handball the ball would have gone in and it would have been game on which I would favour us to go on and win.

What I saw yesterday was a team that has played 25 odd games since the world cup compared to a team that have played half that. If it was an even playing field Fulham wouldn't even have had a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
When you get paid millions a year you need to be professional. No excuse. It just looks childish really.

It was also hilarious that he was moaning about being the better team and we should have won blah blah. People seem to forget that ETH made the subs that changed the game. We were attacking a lot more before the chaos and if Willian didn't handball the ball would have gone in and it would have been game on which I would favour us to go on and win.

What I saw yesterday was a team that has played 25 odd games since the world cup compared to a team that have played half that. If it was an even playing field Fulham wouldn't even have had a chance.
Well said. Do you throw your toys out of the pram at work? Doubt it...

Be professional

Man of Honour
Didn't see the game, was there any reason for Mitrovic doing that? I mean was he just annoyed about the penalty incident (didn't look THAT controversial to me?) or was there more to it than that?
Not sure what the process is for deciding suspensions but you'd assume it's 3 matches by default for violent conduct and the question is do they up it to say 6 matches at a deterrent for physical confrontations with refs. Can't see it being an 11 match ban like Di Canio as the ref stayed on his feet and hadn't already shown a red before the shove.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't see the game, was there any reason for Mitrovic doing that? I mean was he just annoyed about the penalty incident (didn't look THAT controversial to me?) or was there more to it than that?
Not sure what the process is for deciding suspensions but you'd assume it's 3 matches by default for violent conduct and the question is do they up it to say 6 matches at a deterrent for physical confrontations with refs. Can't see it being an 11 match ban like Di Canio as the ref stayed on his feet and hadn't already shown a red before the shove.
The thing that really baffles me is that it was a stone cold penalty and red card.

If it was a contentious decision you could maybe understand the meltdown, but it wasn't at all. Willian leapt across and blocked a goal with his hand....somewhat unfortunate but absolutely a red. What are they angry about?

Soldato
Guys I wasn’t trying to say what he did was the same, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in this post^^^^ ,because when they got their asses spanked off Liverpool what bruno did was ok

If it's not the same, then how is it hypocrisy?

It’s just emotions and sometimes emotions get the better of people.

It's funny how people will excuse abuse on the pitch like this. In any other sport, in any public arena, there would be serious consequences if caught. On a football pitch, "it's emotion". A spectator who did that would be banned for life.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing that really baffles me is that it was a stone cold penalty and red card.

If it was a contentious decision you could maybe understand the meltdown, but it wasn't at all. Willian leapt across and blocked a goal with his hand....somewhat unfortunate but absolutely a red. What are they angry about?
I think I read/heard that Fulham were already miffed about some call in the first half they had for a penalty but var didn’t review it. If true, it kinda explains the manager wanting to have a go at the ref (not condoning it)about consistency but mitrovic was just stupid. He was always going to get his marching orders the minute he tried to impede the ref physically.

Soldato
The FA getting ready to absolutely throw the book at him. Rightly so too, they need to send a strong message in order to try and protect refs in all levels of football. Di Canio got 11 games I think, I reckon more for Mitro.
We should have a poll. He'll get 3 anyway for the card regardless so I'm going for that plus 12. 15 all up.

Soldato
I just watched Di Canios. Forgot how comical the ref's stumble was. :D Even though he didn't hit the deck at the weekend, Mitros is way more violent and threatening. Di Canio pushes him then sort of reels away to walk off the pitch. Mitrovich looks like he's gonna properly chin him.

Soldato
I see the clown in charge of the refs association is now comparing it to Cantona's kung fu kick, they really are desperate to make a big deal out of this arent they.

Soldato
I see the clown in charge of the refs association is now comparing it to Cantona's kung fu kick, they really are desperate to make a big deal out of this arent they.
It is a big deal really though. Granted its not exactly life threatening and some are over reacting talking about getting arrested if you did that on the street and all that but I think for years the abuse of officials has got much worse, not just in the prem but all the way through the football pyramid. If they dont do something about it soon then people will simply stop wanting to be referees. Where will the game at a grass roots level be then?
They have a perfect opportunity here to discourage it by making an example of an unpleasant Johnny foreigner playing for an unfashionable and unpopular team, upsetting the minimum amount of people in the stands and in the media as possible in the process. It's an open goal for the FA.

Soldato
It is a big deal really though. Granted its not exactly life threatening and some are over reacting talking about getting arrested if you did that on the street and all that but I think for years the abuse of officials has got much worse, not just in the prem but all the way through the football pyramid. If they dont do something about it soon then people will simply stop wanting to be referees. Where will the game at a grass roots level be then?
They have a perfect opportunity here to discourage it by making an example of an unpleasant Johnny foreigner playing for an unfashionable and unpopular team, upsetting the minimum amount of people in the stands and in the media as possible in the process. It's an open goal for the FA.
They had a perfect opportunity a few weeks back when a certain player laid his hand on a match day official and yet they did nothing. All the latest does is prove there is one rule for bigger clubs/players compared to the smaller elements in the league.

Did di canio's punishment discourage abuse of refs in non league football?

Caporegime
I can remember Di Canio's being massive at the time. I was playing for the school team and Sunday league at the time and we had a massive meeting about it.

Also the Fernades one wasn't the same. Please take your United hatred hat off for this one.

Vs

Last edited:
Soldato
Keith Hackett has (I'm sure even the young utd fans here know who he is) essentially said they are both the same thing - Fernandes and Mitrovic. They were both red card offences in that you can't push match day officials. Then again I'm not surprised some people here are downplaying one of the events.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the same every few years, they drag out this respect for referees thing, one team gets a punishment and then it's for all intent and purpose forgotten about. If they were serious they would introduce some sort of sin bin type thing where anyone that isn't the Captain/Vice Captain and the 2 players involved in an incident approach the ref. Give them a 5 minute time out or you know actually start dishing out yellow cards. If a team has 5 odd players off the pitch for a short time, then you'd quickly start seeing respect for referees shoot through the roof.

Then again you also need referees (both on the pitch and in the VAR area) to have some accountability for the decisions they make, we need some consistency.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Keith Hackett has (I'm sure even the young utd fans here know who he is) essentially said they are both the same thing - Fernandes and Mitrovic. They were both red card offences in that you can't push match day officials. Then again I'm not surprised some people here are downplaying one of the events.

But they aren’t even remotely the same thing.

Mitrovic is screaming in the refs face and looks like he’s about to chin him. I find that so much worse than the push.

And clearly most people agree, which is why he’s looking at a 10 game ban…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom