Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [21st - 22nd September 2024]

This doesn't reflect recent reality. Arsenal had the 2nd best disciplinary record in the league last season, the 3rd best the season before that.

Two red cards across those two full seasons.
Haven't Arsenal had more red cards than any other side since Arteta took over? Like... 20% more?

Although I suppose you could argue that there aren't that many sides who've been in the division for the entirety of those 5 or 6 seasons.

Last edited:
Really we celebrate and laugh at top quality players getting injured now? If it's his ACL he's done, no coming back from that at his age and rarely does anyone come back from it and play anything like their peak. I don't think they were winning the league anyway, despite people thinking the verdict and points won't be this season I think there will be a bargain made at some point.

City have lost a quarter of their games without Rodri. If that was repeated for the rest of the season, that works out at around 8-9 defeats. I know it’s never that simple but it shows how much of a difference he makes.

If he's out long term and someone can't take advantage and win a title it's time to pack up and do something else. Fortunately for everyone else they are a long way from a Jan window. It's not like they have a lot of quality backed up to score goals either if Haaland takes a knock.

Haven't Arsenal had more red cards than any other side since Arteta took over? Like... 20% more?

Although I suppose you could argue that there aren't that many sides who've been in the division for the entirety of those 5 or 6 seasons.
They certainly had a plan for dealing with Rodri. Havertz took him out right at the kick off, 10 minutes later and his season is over. Job done.

What about the first half, 53 mins of it
1st half was pretty balanced, in truth, while Arsenal looked like getting a right whooping in the first 15 mins, City were lucky not to be 3-1 down at half time due to poor defending at corners/Arsenals great set piece tactics.

Just catching up. How on earth did Martinez not walk for that challenge. Absolutely vile but expected from a fella with small man syndrome.

It was bizarre wasn't it, totally needless. I wouldn't have objected to him being sent off as it was spectacularly stupid. He's very lucky...

Really we celebrate and laugh at top quality players getting injured now? If it's his ACL he's done, no coming back from that at his age and rarely does anyone come back from it and play anything like their peak. I don't think they were winning the league anyway, despite people thinking the verdict and points won't be this season I think there will be a bargain made at some point.
I agree with the sentiment, that it's wrong to laugh at players' injuries.

But on the point re comebacks, ACL surgery has advanced vastly in the last 5 years or so. At Liverpool alone Gomez and VVD have come back and in the last year played close to their peak, and VVD is older than Rodri. Didn't Eze do his a couple of years back as well? It seems to be an 8-10 month issue now, whereas before it was 12-18 months at best.

He'll come back as long as there are no complications, but he'll miss the rest of the season.

But on the point re comebacks, ACL surgery has advanced vastly in the last 5 years or so. At Liverpool alone Gomez and VVD have come back and in the last year played close to their peak, and VVD is older than Rodri. Didn't Eze do his a couple of years back as well? It seems to be an 8-10 month issue now, whereas before it was 12-18 months at best.

He'll come back as long as there are no complications, but he'll miss the rest of the season.
I don't think VVD is anything like the player he was prior to his injury and even so it took another season or so to look close to what he was before. I'm sure the surgery has gotten a lot better but I doubt he will be the same player. The mental hurdle doesn't help either. One of the players I follow did his ACL and MCL, despite everyone saying he's back he looks understandably terrified and tentative whenever he plays.

I thought Eze's was achilles not knee but I'm not that sure.

The biggest issue with an acl is you lose a bit of pace and it will generally take a player a season of playing to get back to their 'best' after a serious injury, Rodri hasn't been a pace reliant player so it shouldnt be as big of an issue for him.

And Virgi is still objectively the best defender in the pl, he might not be at the peak he was when he got injured but he was literally one of the 3 best players on the planet when it happened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom