Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [31st Aug - 1st September 2024]

I think my favourite line from that 1st video is around the 3 minute mark, apparently this wonderful new tactitcal set up means man utd are going to be harder to play through :cry:

I am not sure if you are not understanding what I am trying to convey but ETH is making us play this season in a different way to what we have played in seasons before. Tbh I think I am done here now as it seems people just want to be "smart" and banter instead of trying to have a conversation.
I absolutely wasn't just trying to be smart Adam. You copied a post from reddit, claiming this is the way ETH wants to play. What you copied was so alien to what we actually see from Utd that I questioned it and I asked you how close he's come to achieving it after 2 seasons and hundreds of millions of pounds and your reply was he's not tried it.

If what you meant is that he's not tried it this season but has previously then I'd still massively question it as it's not what we're witnessing on the pitch. But anyway.

The troible is @adam cool dude plan A isn't working, neither is plan B nor plan C. He's had three years.

Hopefully the new players will bed in and form some type of reputable team but if they don't, will he last beyond Christmas?

Last edited:
I absolutely wasn't just trying to be smart Adam. You copied a post from reddit, claiming this is the way ETH wants to play. What you copied was so alien to what we actually see from Utd that I questioned it and I asked you how close he's come to achieving it after 2 seasons and hundreds of millions of pounds and your reply was he's not tried it.

If what you meant is that he's not tried it his season but has previously then I'd still massively question it as it's not what we're witnessing on the pitch. But anyway.

No this way of playing is completely brand new and in theory is sound. ETH alluded to this last season when asked by a reporter that he was never going to play the Ajax way and wanted to make Man Utd the best transition team. (Injuries put an end to even attempt it however). This seasons execution however especially against Liverpool was terrible. Against Brighton it worked quite well until Danny Welbeck had Martinez in his pocket. The problem with the way ETH wants to play is just too high risk for the average player and needs top quality to execute otherwise you end up getting cut through easily. He does however need to get the players singing to his music quickly otherwise he is out the door by Christmas that is a given.

Last edited:
No this way of playing is completely brand new and in theory is sound. ETH alluded to this last season when asked by a reporter that he was never going to play the Ajax way and wanted to make Man Utd the best transition team. (Injuries put an end to even attempt it however). This seasons execution however especially against Liverpool was terrible. Against Brighton it worked quite well until Danny Welbeck had Martinez in his pocket. The problem with the way ETH wants to play is just too high risk for the average player and needs top quality to execute otherwise you end up getting cut through easily. He does however need to get the players singing to his music otherwise he is out the door by Christmas that is a given.
Adam we appear to be speaking different languages here. You laid out how ETH is supposed to be trying to play, I asked you how successful he's been in achieving that and your reply is he hasn't tried it :confused:

Ok so you were trying to say this is something brand new and not something he's been doing previously (I think I speak for most when I say I couldn't see anything from him in the previous 2 years) and you now appear to be conceding that how ETH wants to play (but never has) is too high risk due to the quality of players. A) Should a manager really be trying to play a way that his players can't? And B) Isn't ETH at fault for not bringing in the players to play how he's supposed to want to play?

And on that last question, I can't remember where I heard it but somebody made the point over the weekend, Utd's biggest problem vs Liverpool was Casemiro being completely unsuitable for the role of building out from the back and yet the player that's seemingly been signed to replace him was bombed out by PSG for being completely incapable of doing that same job for them. Are Utd planning to try to do the same thing with players equally unsuited or will there be another plan in a few weeks time?

Southgate will never manage United. It would be utter chaos.
Southgate brought stability and organisation to the national team when they were a mess so it wouldn’t be a bad shout to get him in for a couple of years, it only really went wrong for him with England because he overstayed his welcome but the first couple of years he did a very good job.

A) Should a manager really be trying to play a way that his players can't? And B) Isn't ETH at fault for not bringing in the players to play how he's supposed to want to play?

Yes it is 100% on the manager trying to play a way his players can't. ETH has brought the players in that he wants to play but are either unavailable or still fresh. Hojlund, Shaw, Yoro, Mount, Ugarte are all a part of that. As a manager he has to commit to what he wants to do this season. He cannot keep chopping and changing training sessions to what players he has available. At some point Manchester United have to start playing front foot football instead of counter attack and compact.

We faced Liverpool at the wrong point in the season and it went as expected. The team is simply not ready yet. He could have shut up shop and maybe played for a draw or snatch a counter but that isn't what should be expected from Manchester United at home.

Last edited:
Whose yoro replacing? De ligt or martinez?
Whose Mount replacing? Fernandes or mainoo?
Thinking you can rely on Shaw over the course of a season is hilarious.
Ugarte is a worse on the ball than Casimero...

Whose yoro replacing? De ligt or martinez?
Whose Mount replacing? Fernandes or mainoo?
Thinking you can rely on Shaw over the course of a season is hilarious.
Ugarte is a worse on the ball than Casimero...

Why would Yoro replace either de ligt or Martinez these 2 are obviously looking to be the main pairing they need a run of games together to try to build a understanding , Yoro is 18 he has time if either are unavailable he'll get a chance to impress or get games in Europe or domestic cups maguire and lindelof need shifting

Same with mount no one can play every game all season, haven't seen Ugarte play so I'll reserve judgement

Shaw is a write off no fan should have any expectations of him

Last edited:
Southgate brought stability and organisation to the national team when they were a mess so it wouldn’t be a bad shout to get him in for a couple of years, it only really went wrong for him with England because he overstayed his welcome but the first couple of years he did a very good job.

Playing very conservative football is really going to go down well , he might suit Everton

Why would Yoro replace either de ligt or Martinez these 2 are obviously looking to be the main pairing they need a run of games together to try to build a understanding , Yoro is 18 he has time if either are unavailable he'll get a chance to impress or get games in Europe or domestic cups maguire and lindelof need shifting

Same with mount no one can play every game all season, haven't seen Ugarte play so I'll reserve judgement

Shaw is a write off no fan should have any expectations of him
Apparently ten hag cant play how he wants because yoro/mount/shaw/hoijund and ugarte are missing, so im just wondering who yoro and mount are replacing.

Apparently ten hag cant play how he wants because yoro/mount/shaw/hoijund and ugarte are missing, so im just wondering who yoro and mount are replacing.

He should drop Rashford, and play Garnacho and Amad on the wings with Rasmus upfront with ugarte coming in let's see how that goes

de ligt and Martinez need a run of games together, Yoro coming in for cups or if one of them is injured

Doesn't mention the amount of guaranteed game time , also have fa cup , league cup and European fixtures if it means less chance seeing Maguire and lindelof that's a positive to me and see what this kid can do
Indeed, but I doubt it'll be a handful of cup appearances though. guess we'll find out just how many when he's fit and some games have passed.

Back
Top Bottom