Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [31st Aug - 1st September 2024]

What a wonderful start to the season!!!

Meanwhile Newcastle have had their best start to a season in like a gazillion years while being *******!! :D

Two results have been seemingly brushed under the carpet due to the United result.

Spurs lost to Newcastle and Chelsea drew at home to Palace.

There's nothing to suggest that United would get better results than Chelsea or Spurs but, with both teams aiming for top 4, it's good to see them drop points as well.

Who was it that said United don't get all the clicks?

Vote of confidence. Always a good sign 3 games into a new season. :p
Supposedly these interviews were from before the game too :D

This leads back to the chat in the ETH thread over the summer where some fans were defending the club for the way they handled the so called review. Two games into the season and they were already fielding questions over their backing of the manager. It was so predictable. A club the size of Utd cannot be in a situation where the world knows the ownership wanted to sack the manager and is only still in a job because Tuchel turned the job down and Southgate hadn't committed to leaving England at the time.

Southgate will never manage United. It would be utter chaos.
Although that part of my post was slightly tongue in cheek, I genuinely think there's a very real possibility that Southgate will be your next manager. Not definite but certainly more possible than you'd like to believe. I don't think Ratcliffe particularly cares what supporters think and he'll realise that for all the outrage now, supporters will eventually talk themselves into believing he'll be a good appointment when it starts to become a real possibility, especially when Neville's on Sky doing his PR job. And football's still a bit of an old boys club and people appoint people they know and trust. After all that's how Ashworth was appointed.

I mean it could be worse than Southgate - Ashworth is a big fan of Neville too :D I think Neville admitted not that long ago that Ashworth advised him to take the Valencia job with the view to him being lined up as the future England manager :D

I know it's a crazy thing to say, but Southgate couldn't really do a worse job than ETH has over the past 18 months or so. He's good at getting to the late stages of flukey cup competitions as well.

I know it's a crazy thing to say, but Southgate couldn't really do a worse job than ETH has over the past 18 months or so. He's good at getting to the late stages of flukey cup competitions as well.

He really could. ETH is a completely different level to Southgate.

It also disappoints me that people totally ignore Arteta and his first three seasons at Arsenal. I see a lot of similarities with them and the start of this season. 21/22 season Arsenal missed a load of players in pre-season due to the Euro's finishing very late. Lost their first 3 games conceding 9 goals for 0. Playing both Chelsea and City during that time. Everyone wanted Arteta gone and the banter was off the charts. Arsenal would have quite a resurgence going through the season kicking on and almost getting top 4 running out of steam towards the end. The next 2 seasons getting second to a shady City team. It was also the season they spent big with Ben White, Ramsdale and Odegaard coming in. Got rid of a load of deadwood like Auba, David Luiz etc. Very similar to what we did. Arteta finished 8th twice the previous two seasons.

Our first 3 games haven't been the best but it is plain to see that ETH wants to play a certain way but the players are not doing it or are doing it but not to the standard required. The players we have brought in have had zero time to work together during pre season and we are still waiting for return players to come back.

We still have issues. Mainly left back, Rashford and Casemiro but I have seen the summer as a step in the right direction. Time is still needed imo.

Last edited:

But we're now into his 3rd season, buying more and more of his favourite players, and I'd argue things are worse than in his first season. How is that remotely acceptable.

I think you are the only person who can see what his tactical plan is, it seems a complete mess for the most part. It's hit and hope football on the counter attack, very little in the way of a plan.

All that said, while he's likely going to fail, we've got to let him at least have a few weeks with the new players and see where things go... Ugarte will have to be spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom