Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th - 20th August 2014]-LvGOUT!

I think he'll play alongside Matic most of the time (including tonight), and when we need goals he can push forward more.

I only say he'll play in the #10 role tonight because I don't think Oscar will start.

Team sheets should be up in a few minutes though, so we'll find out the lineup soon enough! :)

Chelsea team for Burnley: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Fabregas, Matic; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Diego Costa

Subs: Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Mikel, Willian, Torres, Drogba

Well, looks lile I was wrong on two counts!

Team:

------------Courtois
Ivanovic - Cahill - Terry - Azpilicueta
-------- Matic - Fabregas
---- Schurrle - Oscar - Hazard
----------------- Costa

So - full strength side with Brazilians and all, and no Luis! More surprised about the second part of that tbh.

Suppose I'm not too surprised about Cech going to the bench, I can't imagine we'll have more than one season with the two of them in the squad though.

I did think Luis would start LB and Azpil would go to his preferred right back position.

Strong bench too!

I really fancy Chelsea to run away with the league this season, they were unlucky not to win it last year after beating all of the top teams and they look even stronger this season.

1-0 Carragher :)

It's great seeing real, tactical football discussion. Such a step up on the usual garbage punditry of Redknapp and the other window lickers.

Great stuff Nev and Cara!

Looking at the bench I think Mourinho is setting up to shift to a formation with two strikers if the 4-2-3-1 isn't working

1-0 Carragher :)

It's great seeing real, tactical football discussion. Such a step up on the usual garbage punditry of Redknapp and the other window lickers.

Great stuff Nev and Cara!

Yea. Neville does seem like he's 10 years in the past and seems completely oblivious to the players Utd actually have.

In Smalling and Jones Utd have 2 CB's that have played just as much as a fullback as they have CB and in theory should be perfectly suited to playing as the right sided CB in a 3. And in Rafael and Shaw they have 2 fullbacks that are perfectly suited to playing as wing backs.

Carra was spot on about how most of the top sides play with 4 at the back however their fullbacks spend most of their time in the opposition half and the deep lying CM will drop back to make it 3 at the back at times. It's not a massive difference from what Utd are doing.

I don't think LvG actually wants to play this system, he'd much prefer to use wingers, but it's pointless considering how bad ours are. Januzaj and Di Maria would immediately give two great wide options. Every time Januzaj got the ball against Swansea he easily went past the full back and created something - he's only going to get better and better.

The Ajax team they used as an example is really quite different, having two dynamic central/defensive midfielders and then using wingers instead. The central midfielders and defensive midfielder can all cover the wide positions at will. It's similar to what Juventus do.

The balance of our team really isn't great, so as Neville said, the rest of the transfer window will dictate how we play for the season. Rojo can play centre back and left back, so he's useful (and required) regardless of whether we play 3 at the back or not, and that's it so far...

I didn't like Cara last year but I agree he is much better this year both confidence and knowledge wise (plus I'm guessing he has been having some elocution lessons!)

Regards the debate I agreed with Cara, it's a (relatively) easy system to play with players as they are today. Best point he made was referencing Liverpool last year with Gerrard dropping in releasing the FB's to push on. That's the key to the system not Mata playing back to defend, Nev just didn't seem to get it.

Great stuff, wish they would do a Friday night football debate too as a preview for the weekend, would love that.

I don't think LvG actually wants to play this system, he'd much prefer to use wingers, but it's pointless considering how bad ours are. Januzaj and Di Maria would immediately give two great wide options. Every time Januzaj got the ball against Swansea he easily went past the full back and created something - he's only going to get better and better.

The Ajax team they used as an example is really quite different, having two dynamic central/defensive midfielders and then using wingers instead. The central midfielders and defensive midfielder can all cover the wide positions at will. It's similar to what Juventus do.

The balance of our team really isn't great, so as Neville said, the rest of the transfer window will dictate how we play for the season. Rojo can play centre back and left back, so he's useful (and required) regardless of whether we play 3 at the back or not, and that's it so far...

If he doesn't want to play 3-5-2 and would rather play 4-3-3 then why not go out and sign a winger rather than specifically a LCB?

Going for Verm and now Rojo make it clear that he's looking for a left sided CB because he wants to play 3 at the back. If he didn't then there's no sense in signing them, there's better CB's than them but he needs a left sided player.

I think it's clear that this system is all down to Rooney, RvP and Mata. It's the only way he can fit all 3 into the side and in their preferred positions. The only other way they could all fit in would be in a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond but Utd don't have any midfielders capable of playing in any of the 3 deeper midfield positions (maybe Carrick in the very deepest role (but he's out for months)).

To move to a 3-5-2 Utd need a LCB, to move to a 4-4-2 diamond they would need 3 new CM's. That's why they've gone for the 3-5-2 imo.

If he doesn't want to play 3-5-2 and would rather play 4-3-3 then why not go out and sign a winger rather than specifically a LCB?

Going for Verm and now Rojo make it clear that he's looking for a left sided CB because he wants to play 3 at the back. If he didn't then there's no sense in signing them, there's better CB's than them but he needs a left sided player.

I think it's clear that this system is all down to Rooney, RvP and Mata. It's the only way he can fit all 3 into the side and in their preferred positions. The only other way they could all fit in would be in a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond but Utd don't have any midfielders capable of playing in any of the 3 deeper midfield positions (maybe Carrick in the very deepest role (but he's out for months)).

To move to a 3-5-2 Utd need a LCB, to move to a 4-4-2 diamond they would need 3 new CM's. That's why they've gone for the 3-5-2 imo.

I'd generally agree, but if we sign Di Maria what does that say?! The only open role for him in the current system is at RWB, which would be okay but will limit him significantly and is hardly £50m well spent!

Back
Top Bottom