Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th - 20th August 2014]-LvGOUT!

Caporegime
Have to say Costa's looked very unselfish so far, deciding to pass rather than go for goal from 20 yards with defenders in the way.

He's not a particularly selfish player at all and no idea why anyone would think he is. A lot of people were saying "he's only had one good season" because he only scored highly for Atletico in a single season. But that's because he played as the second striker behind Falcao previously, his work rate was still exceptional, but he did a lot of work getting the ball from the half way line to the box and set up Falcao with countless chances while scoring a fair few himself.

The biggest reason RVP scored so many more, aside from that he started more games, was that he went from playing as often the more withdrawn of two strikers, or even the wide player to playing the furthest forward striker. RVP is equally capable of playing a bit deeper, with good vision and passing as he used to play in that role. LIkewise Costa is good deeper with another striker ahead of him. he just played a different role last season, it was the first season where the team focussed on making him chances and he scored what, almost twice as many goals. He's a much better all around player than most people give him credit for.

Caporegime
Damn, that second goal on replay, it really is insanely good. I saw it was a good ball in to Fabregas, and it was a great run by Fabregas, just a little late, into the space perfect to either shoot or make that pass. Ivanovic didn't blindly blast it into the box, he looked up took his time and saw the run Fabregas was making.

That last pass though, literally perfect, inch perfect to land for Schurrle to hit first time.

Soldato
I don't understand why people suggest Arsenal were forced to make the choice between Ozil and Fabregas - I'd have taken both of them and cashed in on Wilshire.

Sanchez up top.
Ozil in the 10 role.
Walcott, Ramsey, Cesc, Cazorla/Poldi in the middle.

Exactly like what Chelsea are doing with Hazard / Fabregas.

Caporegime
Not that Burnley have much choice than to try and score, they could be trying to limit their loss in this game to help with goal difference, but they aren't afraid to get at Chelsea. Not afraid to attack at all and look like they have something about them going forwards. Could have scored a few, I wouldn't read much into Fabregas tearing them a new one defensively but if they can get at Chelsea when going forwards they should be able to get at plenty of other teams successfully.

Soldato
Perhaps Cesc had no interest in returning and has just saved arsenal blushes by letting Wenger know in private.

Then that is something you let the fans know - because instead of guys like me bemoaning bad transfer dealing, I can turn my anger to the player in question.

Caporegime
I don't understand why people suggest Arsenal were forced to make the choice between Ozil and Fabregas - I'd have taken both of them and cashed in on Wilshire.

Sanchez up top.
Ozil in the 10 role.
Walcott, Ramsey, Cesc, Cazorla/Poldi in the middle.

Exactly like what Chelsea are doing with Hazard / Fabregas.

They weren't forced to but Wenger did, he's said pretty much didn't need Fabregas due to having Ramsey/Ozil, though he'll happily buy 100 central mids before anything we desperately need, when it comes to getting someone better than who he deems his best players it's a no for some reason.

I'd play Fabregas over Ozil every day of the week, Ozil is lazy and weak. Selling Ozil, buying Fabregas and buying a stronger (in a defensive sense) central midfield player to play behind Fabregas would be a stronger team than Ozil with Fabregas behind.

Fact is Ozil has some limits to his game, and has never been good physically. It's nuts, loads of people are saying if Ozil's available you just buy him no questions. But for what 30million Fabregas is available..... you don't? Nuts. Ozil was never worth 40mil because he's poor in big games, poor defensively and poor under pressure. Fabregas conversely is not worth 30mil, he would be a steal at 40mil.

Soldato
They weren't forced to but Wenger did, he's said pretty much didn't need Fabregas due to having Ramsey/Ozil, though he'll happily buy 100 central mids before anything we desperately need, when it comes to getting someone better than who he deems his best players it's a no for some reason.

I'd play Fabregas over Ozil every day of the week, Ozil is lazy and weak. Selling Ozil, buying Fabregas and buying a stronger (in a defensive sense) central midfield player to play behind Fabregas would be a stronger team than Ozil with Fabregas behind.

Fact is Ozil has some limits to his game, and has never been good physically. It's nuts, loads of people are saying if Ozil's available you just buy him no questions. But for what 30million Fabregas is available..... you don't? Nuts. Ozil was never worth 40mil because he's poor in big games, poor defensively and poor under pressure. Fabregas conversely is not worth 30mil, he would be a steal at 40mil.

Fabregas has his limits too - he fades after a long season - although that might be because Wenger played him every single sodding game as we had no option.

I'd want them both, Ozil providing a through ball to Sanchez is mouth watering, Fabregas and Ramsey with their directness, off the ball movement, ability to pick a pass... Instead we end up with Wilshire who dribbles into trouble and plays one-twos that never come off.

Edit: I know you're not big on Ozil - I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, I expect he'll be much improved this year with the abundance of pace we have in the squad.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Then that is something you let the fans know - because instead of guys like me bemoaning bad transfer dealing, I can turn my anger to the player in question.

I don't believe he wanted to come back as he would have been vocal about it, I think if Arsenal had bid he still would have gone to chelsea. I guess this season is going to be United fans moaning about transfers and Arsenal fans looking at Ozil wishing he was Cesc :D

Caporegime
I don't believe he wanted to come back as he would have been vocal about it, I think if Arsenal had bid he still would have gone to chelsea.

You're entitled to your opinion but personally I'd just go by what comes out of Cesc's mouth:

“Yes, everyone knows that Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take this option and therefore it wasn’t meant to be. I wish them well.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ed-down-the-option-to-resign-him-9532622.html

If you want to believe that he was "just saying that to spare blushes" then fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom