Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [18th - 21st August 2017]

Soldato
He slid into a challenge with his foot in the air, catches Aguero's foot, then wins the ball, then takes Aguero out with his trailing leg. It's at the very least a foul even if you don't think it's a yellow.

I'm sorry but that wasn't a foul, think people forget football is meant to be a contact sport. He got the ball cleanly and his body carried on, its called momentum you can't stop it.

Don
I'm sorry but that wasn't a foul, think people forget football is meant to be a contact sport. He got the ball cleanly and his body carried on, its called momentum you can't stop it.
He caught Aguero before winning the ball though. And genuine question, is football a contact sport?

Soldato
Neither are close to yellow cards for me, and arguably neither are fouls. Walker didn't look like he put his arms out or anything, and Schneiderlin got the ball. There's a difference between going through someone to get it, and brushing their ankle/foot on the way past.

Don
Both were fouls. Walker's wasn't a booking but Schneiderlin's probably was imo - while there was only a glancing contact, he's gone into that challenge at force, studs showing and he then catches him with his trailing foot too.

Soldato
Class interview from rooney with neville asking

"Wayne whats it like to score at the etihad"

Wayne laughs and says

"What....again?"

Class :cool:

Soldato
Schneiderlin's was a monumentally stupid challenge to make, regardless of whether it was a yellow card or not. By unnecessarily sliding in like that you're giving the opposition player a chance to go down and the ref a decision to make. He was clearly angry with Aguero for milking it, which I believe he did, but to think that an opposition player won't take advantage of it when they are down by a man and a goal is very naive.

Same goes for Walker, I'm not convinced it was a second yellow but why look at the player multiple times before backing into him? It makes it look much more dodgy that Walker kept on glancing round to see where he was, because that's normally what a player will do prior to deliberately fouling someone. Sure, he could have just been trying to get his bearings, but he made it look worse than it was. Again, Holgate did him absolutely no favours with his over-the-top reaction, but I think that's to be expected nowadays in football.

Soldato
Both were fouls. Walker's wasn't a booking but Schneiderlin's probably was imo - while there was only a glancing contact, he's gone into that challenge at force, studs showing and he then catches him with his trailing foot too.

I'd disagree completely, he won the ball first and then touched Aguero. Not sure if you are on the wind up, as you seem to be generally knowledgeably about football so for you to have to ask if football is a contact sport is slightly confusing me.

How are they judged? In play any player has the right to challenge an opponent for possession of the ball. Opponents have the same right. Challenges often involve physical contact which is acceptable (fair) or unacceptable (unfair), all part of a virile sport.
source http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=1999/m=12/news=football-rules-are-brilliant-71934.html

I know the link is from 1999 but its the first official link I could find on the subject, sure there are more.

As for Walkers, I think the look behind and the raised arm got him the yellow, not saying I agree but until video evidence comes in that's what we've got.

Soldato
I'd disagree completely, he won the ball first and then touched Aguero. Not sure if you are on the wind up, as you seem to be generally knowledgeably about football so for you to have to ask if football is a contact sport is slightly confusing me.

They changed the rule a couple of years ago stating if the ball was won is irrelevant, if you go into a challenge too forcefully it's deemed a foul, same way as a tackle from behind is still a foul even if the ball was won first.

Upon watching the replay of the incident I can 100% understand why a foul and yellow card was issued, in another match a straight red maybe issued as I know Aguero turned to make it look from behind. Silly challenge to make as it's asking for the ref to make a decision, I blame players for 2nd bookings because they know they're on a card and jump into stupid challenges.

Don

source http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=1999/m=12/news=football-rules-are-brilliant-71934.html

I know the link is from 1999 but its the first official link I could find on the subject, sure there are more.

As for Walkers, I think the look behind and the raised arm got him the yellow, not saying I agree but until video evidence comes in that's what we've got.

I wasn't on the wide up at all but should have explained myself better. I understand that when you make a challenge you're quite often going to end up in contact with the opponent and still be within the rules. I was talking about the contact made prior to Schneiderlin winning the ball - I assumed you saw that he catches him first and were suggesting that football allows a degree of contact to enable you to win the ball rather than it being a result of winning the ball, if that makes sense.

Regarding whether he fouls/makes contact with Aguero first or not. Watch the replay below - around 27 seconds in you clearly see Scheneiderlin go studs first into Aguero's left foot (you can see Aguero's foot turn as a result) before then going through to the ball and then he takes him out with his trailing leg for good measure. As Maundie touches on, the trailing leg tripping Aguero was probably enough to give the free-kick (not sure about the yellow) on it's own due to the force he's gone into the challenge at.

https://imgtc.com/w/nyoJVzy

Back
Top Bottom