Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [20 - 26th December 2013]

Caporegime
except Bendters goal was dissalowed against city

Yes it was, but I was getting at situations in which the wrong call was made. ACting like Giroud's WAS a goal when he scored after everyone else had stopped completely, is nuts. Bendtner genuinely did score with the defence and keeper trying to keep it out. He was exceptionally marginally offside, it's a fair call. You can't say it should have been 6-4 because Giroud had a goal disallowed(I honestly forget why it was disallowed, offside for the person crossing?) if lets say he was correctly called onside, because he didn't score till after the play was stopped.

Caporegime
And you really think having his backroom staff changed, the owner sticking his nose in team affairs and making public threats is helping matters? Oh yeah, it's all Mackay's fault.

Sorry did I say that anywhere exactly? Please show me where I did say that.

Let's sum up the owners involvement.

Promoted, put up 35 or 50mil depending on what really happened, either way, FAR FAR more than other managers at similar clubs/similar situations had. Mackay spent that money, afaik one back room staff member was fired after the transfer window, in which that money was spent on the players Mackay wanted.

Firing head of recruitment(who supposedly over spent by 15mil) should have effectively zero effect on actual results or day to day until potentially the next transfer window. If he was fired mid August and 5 transfers fell through, that would be one thing. But Mackay had HIS team in place before Moody was fired. That team under Mackay is in relegation form, are you suggesting that the owner talking about firing him a week ago has led to their pretty dismal performances over the first half of the season, or that Moody, non playing/coaching staff's firing has had a monumental effect on the results?

The owner backed him to the tune of 50mil........ but it's not Mackay's fault.

Caporegime
Sorry did I say that anywhere exactly? Please show me where I did say that.
You mentioned the amount he had spent, you mentioned the amount he had spent compared to his rivals and you claimed he didn't deserve to keep his job without a single mention of Tan. How is that anything other than blaming Mackay?

Do you even read the nonsense you write?

Caporegime
You mentioned the amount he had spent, you mentioned the amount he had spent compared to his rivals and you claimed he didn't deserve to keep his job without a single mention of Tan. How is that anything other than blaming Mackay?

Do you even read the nonsense you write?

Do you?

I posted blaming Mackay, because I think he's mostly to blame, it's that simple. Your post was implying things I didn't say, while seemingly suggesting that either it's not Mackay's fault at all or mostly not his fault or at least a significant amount of blame rests with Tan. I don't agree with that. My first and second post don't disagree with each other, my stance hasn't changed, I simply didn't say what you stated I was saying.

I mentioned the amount Tan spent because 50mil is god damned immense for a club of Cardiff's stature, it's immense for a club like Everton or Spurs, let alone Cardiff. You discount this so easily like Mackay had zero support from day one. 50mil is a monumental statement of support.

I think Mackay got more backing than anyone basically in the bottom half of the table, he got the players he wanted, spent more than the owner wanted by all accounts, and the only reason they aren't in the bottom three is Jol, Di Canio and Holloway were even worse. All three were fired, deservedly, Mackay is hugely responsible for who he bought, the team he has, the position they are in, the results they've gotten.

I didn't say firing Moody was a good thing, I didn't say it was a bad thing. He is likely quite responsible as well Mackay, together they got together, spent 50mil and don't have an awful lot to show for it and not the performances required of that team.

Cardiff were the biggest spenders in the championship and got promotion without a top goal scorer, they spent 50mil and still don't have a top goal scorer, and are heading towards relegation.........

I think Mackay holds the most responsibility, the head of recruitment has a decent share for spending 50mil and getting one unproven striker for a at the time club record fee when better strikers were available on loans, cheaper, or more proven.

The team isn't working, it's mostly their fault, the guy who gave them the bankroll and questioned his position 5 months after a crap campaign only made to look half decent by Di Canio/Holloway/Jol/Alladyce being utterly incompetent.... yeah, I don't think Tan holds much responsibility.

Dozen's of managers have pretty much shown, bankrolled through a season or two getting promotion is pretty easy, building the right team and staying up is harder. Mackay did something many many others have done, and failed to look good where many many others have also failed.

Man of Honour
He's complained that his shin pad got broken. Isn't that what it's there for?

It was a 50/50 and mikel won the ball and came off best. There was another one with Ramires.

Caporegime
£50 million isn't that much when you consider the amount of money clubs receive from the Premier League.

Yes it absolutely is. Firstly each and every player they buy adds to the wage bill, not every club comes close to making the 100mil a year from their stadiums that Arsenal/Utd do, nor the 100mil + in commercial revenue.

The biggest expense by a massive massive margin for Barca, Real, Chelsea, Utd, City is wages, and the same was true for Wigan, Bolton, West Ham, Portsmouth, Leeds. Half of those teams are in massive debt, but debt owed to their owners. IE debt that currently isn't being paid back. Without sugar daddies some of those clubs would have folded already.

50mil is only a small amount when you are an established Premier league team, are only doing it for one transfer window and you can all but be certain of survival for several years to make that money back. A promoted team spending 50mil on new players that gets relegated will usually find itself either selling off the entire team, and often dropping several leagues as a result, or finding itself with points deductions, bankrupt and desperately clinging on for dear life.

Tv money this year might, JUST cover that 50mil, but their wages will likely be well above 20mil, possibly closer to 40 or 50mil, depends what their contracts are like. More tv money means higher wages, that is where 98% of it goes. Someone like Wigan brings in around 12mil from their stadium, Spurs/Liverpool/Chelsea are more like the 40-50mil range, Arsenal/Utd way way out above the rest due to capacity and pricing. Utd with more capacity and Arsenal with the highest prices/second highest capacity making up for the 20k less seats.

Commercial, Utd/Chelsea/City are above 100mil, Arsenal have struggled to get past the 60-70mil mark(better when the new shirt deal kicks in) lower mid table teams are mostly sub 20mil, newly promoted teams like Cardiff. Their tv money will be by far the largest part of their income and with 50mil spent I would be down right shocked if they managed to break even, the likelyhood is more likely a 20-30mil loss(unless they sell big in Jan to bring some back in).

50mil IS absolutely huge for any non top 4 teams. 20mil net in a season is huge for bottom half teams.

Back
Top Bottom