Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th December 2019]

Soldato
What were the thoughts on Arsenals performance earlier? I fell asleep shortly after we scored.

+ team looking better as a unit, better defensively and offensively, despite having to play people out of position/people you'd keep away from the starting XI due to injury
+ effort level was high for 90mins
+ general mood was 'shouldn't have lost that' rather than 'this team is hopeless and that performance was gutless and pathetic', which makes a change even if it's ultimately 0 points again
+ banished that stat of conceding massive amounts of chances
+ players look less terrible when played in preferred positions where possible - colour everyone surprised

- it's going to take a while for them to be able to press like they did at the start of the game for all of it (vaguely recall in Klopp's 1st season his team would be gassed after 60mins consistently, same sort of thing here), the more leggy they got, the more Chelsea dominated possession
- hard work undone by individual errors again, Leno's was hard to take because up till then Chelsea had... I think one dangerous header on target. For the 2nd Mustafi just did what Mustafi has done again and again *sigh*
- still having to rely on Auba because nobody else can put a chance away consistently, other than Martinelli (injured)

Take out that howler from the keeper and it might have stayed 1-0. If they'd have sacked Emery during the international break and got Arteta in then, he'd have had way more time to work with the team and they'd have picked up more wins and more confidence at this point, rather than him coming in when there's been league games every 5 seconds. Optimistic the rest of the season won't be as embarrassingly bad as the first half though.

Soldato
Definitely a different intensity and application throughout the team. The best we've played in a long time, I was actually entertained. Losing Chambers was a big blow, think him and Holding should be our starters when everyone is actually fit. Having no fit fullbacks is causing us some issues too. Hopefully we can bin off Xhaka and get a decent DM in this window.

Caporegime
It doesn't hit his arm (watch the video not the pic), even if it did then it wouldn't have mattered as the PGMOL state that if the ball travels long distances etc after the handball incident then it doesn't apply to the rule and Utd have benefited more from VAR than everybody except Brighton. Sorry @ThestigGT999 Manchestvar Utd.

I think it is the inconsistency of it all. If it did brush his arm or not then the goal has been given the benefit of the doubt because it was inconclusive. Likewise offside with his hand in an offside position. His hand being out has not given him any advantage what so ever. The decision is correct in the current terms of the law but it just doesn't seem right as if his arm had been behind his body the goal would have stood.

Only way to fix it is to have sensors in the balls so you know exactly when the ball has been hit (Current VAR technology is done by fps and vision by the look of it which is inconclusive) and sensors in players boots to determine offside.

Don
I think it is the inconsistency of it all. If it did brush his arm or not then the goal has been given the benefit of the doubt because it was inconclusive. Likewise offside with his hand in an offside position. His hand being out has not given him any advantage what so ever. The decision is correct in the current terms of the law but it just doesn't seem right as if his arm had been behind his body the goal would have stood.

Only way to fix it is to have sensors in the balls so you know exactly when the ball has been hit (Current VAR technology is done by fps and vision by the look of it which is inconclusive) and sensors in players boots to determine offside.
I'm not sure what you mean by inconsistency. The one thing that VAR has brought is greater consistency with offside and attacking handball decisions, what people don't like is the rules themselves.

On the particular decisions. There's a video of the handball incident that shows that VVD doesn't handle the ball but lets assume for a moment that he did. He could have caught the ball and spun it on his finger before passing it to Lallana and the goal would have still stood under VAR, assuming the ref didn't award the free-kick for handball to begin with of course. This new attacking handball rule is a bit mad but one thing is, is clear. If an attacking player either scores with his hand/arm or creates a goal with his hand/arm then it's a foul, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Regarding what counts as creating a goal, the rule states that if there are multiple passes or the ball travels a long distance between the handball and goal being scored then it's not a matter for VAR.

As for the offside, I'm not too sure what incident you're referring to (the Wolves offside was measured from the attackers foot) however VAR is not giving offsides for a players arm being in an offside position. The offside rule states any part of your body that can play the ball, which exclused your hand and arm. VAR is determining whether somebody is offside by measuring from the most forward part of the attackers body, that could be their foot, head or in some cases the armpit. What we've found with VAR is that supporters don't like seeing goals ruled out for somebody's armpit or shoulder being offside but this is not VAR's fault, that's an issue with the laws of the game but the decisions are consistent.

The technology isn't perfect but it's much more accurate than a ref or lino's eyesight, particularly Anthony Taylor's. As I've said before, I've never been in favour of VAR and would have no problem with it being scrapped but too many people kept calling for it and the clubs agreed to it and this is the best we've got for now.

Back
Top Bottom