Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th December 2019]

Soldato
Law 8 "If the ball touches the referee and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a drop ball is awarded to the team that last touched the ball"

Well...LiVARpool in full swing i see

Soldato
I've been steadily losing interest in football due to boredom and I think this VAR nonsense is going to be the final straw. This boring sport needs more goals and action and not more waiting for stupid VAR decisions like the one regarding the Wolves cancelled goal.

Don
I've been steadily losing interest in football due to boredom and I think this VAR nonsense is going to be the final straw. This boring sport needs more goals and action and not more waiting for stupid VAR decisions like the one regarding the Wolves cancelled goal.
This may not apply to you but 2 years ago we had loads of shouts that we need to use technology to get more decisions correct. We can't have it both ways, either use VAR and get as many correct calls as possible or don't use it at all.

Soldato
This may not apply to you but 2 years ago we had loads of shouts that we need to use technology to get more decisions correct. We can't have it both ways, either use VAR and get as many correct calls as possible or don't use it at all.
Yes I understand that but human errors have always been part of football, you get some against you and some for you. Goal line technology for example there is no argument against it but VAR is a different kind of monster.

When after all that downtime they still make the wrong decision whats the point of it? Plus you will never satisfy the whiners no matter what.

Last edited:
Don
Yes I understand that but human errors have always been part of football, you get some against you and some for you. Goal line technology for example there is no argument against it but VAR is a different kind of monster.
I've never been in favour of VAR. I said pre VAR that if they could develop a system similar to goal line tech for offsides then I'd have that but everything else will cause too much controversy and delays. The only reason for using VAR is to get as many correct decisions as we can, there is literally no point in using it if we're going to say "well that was close so we'll stick with the wrong decision". We'll still get the delays, there will still be controversy (imagine a team getting relegated from an offside goal that was allowed to stand because it was close) and we'll still be getting wrong decisions.

Soldato
We may be getting more correct decisions, but this is so much worse than what we had before. It's no surprise that every game I go to the same things are sang about it, by both sets of fans. I'm loving how well the team are doing, but VAR is definitely making football much more difficult to enjoy.

Don
We may be getting more correct decisions, but this is so much worse than what we had before. It's no surprise that every game I go to the same things are sang about it, by both sets of fans. I'm loving how well the team are doing, but VAR is definitely making football much more difficult to enjoy.
I bet half of those that sing **** VAR were complaining about wrong decisions before and banging on about all the money in the game and not using technology too. As I said above, we can't have it both ways. People wanted technology to get more correct decisions, we're now getting them but we're also getting all the negative side of using tech too.

I've always been against it and would have no issue with it being scrapped (it won't of course) but it will get smoother, the tech will also get better and more importantly, we're going to get used to it sooner or later too.

Soldato
I bet half of those that sing **** VAR were complaining about wrong decisions before and banging on about all the money in the game and not using technology too. As I said above, we can't have it both ways. People wanted technology to get more correct decisions, we're now getting them but we're also getting all the negative side of using tech too.

I've always been against it and would have no issue with it being scrapped (it won't of course) but it will get smoother, the tech will also get better and more importantly, we're going to get used to it sooner or later too.

I've never got too angry/annoyed at wrong decisions as they happen, and will always happen. Also, I'm already used to VAR - I just don't celebrate goals anymore. I should be over the moon, my team are playing some great football, doing much better than anyone gave us any hope of doing - yet all I can think is how much this is sucking the life out of football, it's horrible.

Don
You have had a disproportionate number of VAR overturns go against you so I can certainly understand you feeling that way. I'm not sure how long it'll be but eventually they'll start evening out* and you'll see the benefits of VAR more often.

*that assumes you're not a side that's actively trying to push the boundaries of offside, in which case you're more likely to get caught more by VAR.

Don
It doesn't hit his arm (watch the video not the pic), even if it did then it wouldn't have mattered as the PGMOL state that if the ball travels long distances etc after the handball incident then it doesn't apply to the rule and Utd have benefited more from VAR than everybody except Brighton. Sorry @ThestigGT999 Manchestvar Utd.

Back
Top Bottom