Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [3rd - 6th May 2019]

Caporegime
Of course our points total means something, it's a reflection of how good this side is. And unless I've missed something you've just been arguing with Purdy when all he's been talking about was how enjoyable watching this side has been.

I haven’t been arguing with anyone really, it’s just a simple matter of being able to enjoy football and still be massively disappointed at the end, after all you don’t know how it’s going to go until the final games in seasons like this one.

It’s a reflection of how good the side is in one season but without a trophy to show for it, and as I said above it doesn’t always reflect how well you’ll do the following year, so in the end what does it really mean?

Caporegime
I meant winning the race for top four :p Which we’ve ****** up the wall :(

And you’re not too good for the europa. If you’d finished fifth last year, I doubt you’d have said “We’re too good for that, we’re pulling out”

But we didn’t, we couldn’t even enter it because we are too good for it lmao

Caporegime
Maybe rob was right in your case and you haven't been watching any football since Arsenal last won the title.
Oooh salty there baz;).
Don’t worry there is always next season or the season after that...well once Pep has left then perhaps you might have a better chance of winning that all elusive PL title ;).

That goal from Kompany was brutal though :eek:

Well done City, did what you had to in order to win another title. Something Liverpool still can’t manage to do :p

Don
I haven’t been arguing with anyone really, it’s just a simple matter of being able to enjoy football and still be massively disappointed at the end, after all you don’t know how it’s going to go until the final games in seasons like this one.

It’s a reflection of how good the side is in one season but without a trophy to show for it, and as I said above it doesn’t always reflect how well you’ll do the following year, so in the end what does it really mean?
Arguing as in having a debate. And what does it mean? It means our supporters, on the whole at least, have enjoyed football for the past 9 months. See how many Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd fans can say the same.

I'm pretty sure I wrote something in relation to Mourinho and Utd at the start of the season - football is meant to be fun. Only 1 team is winning the PL and only 1 team is winning the CL - football can still be fun for at least a few other sides. Yea, it's a bit *****y to come up against the best side English football's ever seen and the greatest player the world's ever seen but we can't control what they do, we can only be as good as we can be and we've been great
Oooh salty there baz;).

I have no idea what I said that was salty :confused:

You seemed to be saying that we hadn't challenged for the title previously which would suggest you hadn't watched much football since Arsenal won the League.

Soldato
All getting a bit tasty in here.

Surprised at everyone writing it off, there is still a game to play. No bizarre twist has happened yet and it always does in the title race. If I’m being honest I’d like to see Liverpool win it I’ve never really understood the dislike for Liverpool.

Don
All getting a bit tasty in here.

Surprised at everyone writing it off, there is still a game to play. No bizarre twist has happened yet and it always does in the title race. If I’m being honest I’d like to see Liverpool win it I’ve never really understood the dislike for Liverpool.
It's mostly Utd supporters tbf. As for the others (and this applies to Utd too), I firmly believe it's because it's far easier to excuse the failings of their own side if City win the league than Liverpool. Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have no excuses if Liverpool win the league where as they can point to City's money if City do.

Soldato
It's nothing to do with city having more money and I don't need excuses if Liverpool win it united have been poor on the pitch and poor in past transfer windows so nobody but uniteds fault and yes liverpool have played some good football this season

Caporegime
It's mostly Utd supporters tbf. As for the others (and this applies to Utd too), I firmly believe it's because it's far easier to excuse the failings of their own side if City win the league than Liverpool. Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have no excuses if Liverpool win the league where as they can point to City's money if City do.
That’s funny, I didn’t feel like that when Leicester won the title. I was happy for them and annoyed at my own team because it was the best chance we had for years to win the title and we blew it.

But I certainly didn’t sit there thinking “Oh if only City had won it, then I’d have an excuse”

Soldato

Good point to be fair.

G Neville was giving it both barrels about Man U, Jamie stood there pretending to give a **** :p

Soldato
That’s funny, I didn’t feel like that when Leicester won the title. I was happy for them and annoyed at my own team because it was the best chance we had for years to win the title and we blew it.

But I certainly didn’t sit there thinking “Oh if only City had won it, then I’d have an excuse”
Strange statement from baz

Don

I don't want you to get offended rob but I don't really believe you. You say a lot of things and then change your mind a week later. And if I'm not mistaken Leicester weren't being challenged by City.

Caporegime
I don't want you to get offended rob but I don't really believe you. You say a lot of things and then change your mind a week later. And if I'm not mistaken Leicester weren't being challenged by City.
No but they were the strong favourites at the start of the season.

And I don’t see exactly what it is about what I’ve said that you don’t believe.

Don
No but they were the strong favourites at the start of the season.

And I don’t see exactly what it is about what I’ve said that you don’t believe.
I'm not sure whether City were favourites, I'd imagine Chelsea probably were. And I don't believe that you don't find it easier to accept losing to City rather than Liverpool because you 'should' lose to City where as Arsenal should be competing with Liverpool. It's not that difficult to understand and something an Arsenal supporting friend said to me today as it happens. Another friend asked him why he wanted City to win today and all he could come up with was that City were meant to win the League.

Caporegime
I'm not sure whether City were favourites, I'd imagine Chelsea probably were. And I don't believe that you don't find it easier to accept losing to City rather than Liverpool because you 'should' lose to City where as Arsenal should be competing with Liverpool. It's not that difficult to understand and something an Arsenal supporting friend said to me today as it happens. Another friend asked him why he wanted City to win today and all he could come up with was that City were meant to win the League.
Well I totally disagree with your friend. No ones meant to win the league, it’s down to performance over the season, whoever has the most points, deserves the title, simple as.

And if we finish second, it doesn't matter if it’s city or Liverpool ahead, I would be equally as miffed, but I certainly wouldn’t start blaming it on money. You can buy all the players you want, but you still have to make them a team. This season, Pep has just edged Klopp on that one, by an extremely small margin.

Back
Top Bottom