Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [3rd - 6th May 2019]

Don
You can have all the points you want, don’t matter a jot when you finish second.
Football should only be enjoyable for 1 team per season? I take it you're not watching an Arsenal league game in the next 20 years because you don't have a hope of winning the league in that time rob.

Caporegime
Too bitter a pill to swallow.

This, the points total means nothing in the end as second gets you nowt, I mean people even forget about league winners nowadays...

Liverpool don’t win a title as long as Pep is at City imo, if roles had been reversed back in January with that 7 point gap I don’t think Klopp would have turned it around.

Yes they’ve spent a billion plus or whatever and have insane squad depth but we’ve known that for a few years now.

Caporegime
Football should only be enjoyable for 1 team per season? I take it you're not watching an Arsenal league game in the next 20 years because you don't have a hope of winning the league in that time rob.
I think 20 years is a bit of a stretch Baz. You were finishing 8th only 3 seasons ago. Arsenal will challenge for the title before too long. Too big a club not to.

Never mind, at least you can raise funds with the second place DVD. Meanwhile, I’ll carry on enjoying DVD’s of our three premier wins and two doubles.

Caporegime
This, the points total means nothing in the end as second gets you nowt, I mean people even forget about league winners nowadays...

Liverpool don’t win a title as long as Pep is at City imo, if roles had been reversed back in January with that 7 point gap I don’t think Klopp would have turned it around.

Yes they’ve spent a billion plus or whatever and have insane squad depth but we’ve known that for a few years now.

Means ‘nowt’ to who? Wikipedia?

My most enjoyable seasons are 08/09 and 13/14, both ended ****** but they’ve been the most fun teams to watch and most weeks were fun lol

Yeah we probably couldn’t close the gap on a club so far ahead with infinite resources, it’s not surprising they did not we couldn’t, it’s shocking it’s even been this close

Caporegime
Lol well it’s almost taken you 30 yrs to come close to winning one ;). But nope still nothing and about to be sparked out of the CL by Barca too :p

Don
I think 20 years is a bit of a stretch Baz. You were finishing 8th only 3 seasons ago. Arsenal will challenge for the title before too long. Too big a club not to.
We have far better owners and a far better manager than you do though rob. You've not genuinely challenged for the title since you last won it in 2004 and the competition is far greater than it once was so I think 20 years was generous. Whether it's 20 or 19 years, I take it you're not going to watch as it won't matter unless Arsenal win the title?
Lol well it’s almost taken you 30 yrs to come close to winning one ;). But nope still in Utds shadow lol.
Maybe rob was right in your case and you haven't been watching any football since Arsenal last won the title.

Caporegime
Means ‘nowt’ to who?Wikipedia

Would you rather get a 97 points tally and finish second or win the league with 82 points or whatever was the standard a few years back?

It’s all well and good saying the tally is amazing and you pushed City to the end but it’s a competition at the end of the day and only the winners are remembered, until next year...

Caporegime
Would you rather get a 97 points tally and finish second or win the league with 82 points or whatever was the standard a few years back?

It’s all well and good saying the tally is amazing and you pushed City to the end but it’s a competition at the end of the day and only the winners are remembered, until next year...

Ah it’s not a binary thing, I can enjoy the season greatly without winning the title despite I’d rather we did win it yes

At the end of the day I’m not arsed about who is remembered by anyone other than me and if I enjoyed it, obviously I’d rather win but at my satisfaction not what others care about. Of course I’ll rub it in the face of others when required

But yeah, onwards to August, decent season, hope we can actually sign some depth

Don

I'm not sure if people are just don't undertand what Purdy was saying or whether they're intentionally twisting his words. Of course you'd always rather win the title but that doesn't mean our season was poor or not enjoyable. We're a fantastic side that plays great football, I think it's been a more enjoyable season for us than 99% of sides in League football.

Caporegime
We have far better owners and a far better manager than you do though rob. You've not genuinely challenged for the title since you last won it in 2004 and the competition is far greater than it once was so I think 20 years was generous. Whether it's 20 or 19 years, I take it you're not going to watch as it won't matter unless Arsenal win the title?

Maybe rob was right in your case and you haven't been watching any football since Arsenal last won the title.

I couldn’t give a crap how many points we get unless we win trophies, because it just doesn’t matter.

The invincibles got a lot less points than this Liverpool team did, but they’ll still be remembered for a lot longer, because they actually won, something this Liverpool team is unable to do.

Soldato
heard a stat the other day - I think it was from Sky -

Last three times Liverpool have come 2nd - they have dropped out of the top 4 the next season.

Must mean all those other Liverpool teams were full of "bottlers " hmmm

On the other hand.....maybe Pep will get bored of his shiny new toys every summer in Manchester if they cant improve in the CL and move somewhere else?

City have spent billions in recent years (and getting away with murder often in regards to ffp and sponsorships etc) - and people often forget how much they spent under Pep's guidance before he officially joined.

Still chuckle about all that chat about the quadruple that City were not talking about at all.....yet kept on coming up in pressers every few weeks.

Caporegime
I'm not sure if people are just don't undertand what Purdy was saying or whether they're intentionally twisting his words. Of course you'd always rather win the title but that doesn't mean our season was poor or not enjoyable. We're a fantastic side that plays great football, I think it's been a more enjoyable season for us than 99% of sides in League football.
That 1% is Man City though :p

Don
I couldn’t give a crap how many points we get unless we win trophies, because it just doesn’t matter.

The invincibles got a lot less points than this Liverpool team did, but they’ll still be remembered for a lot longer, because they actually won, something this Liverpool team is unable to do.
So again, you won't be watching Arsenal games (dog and duck cup aside) for the foreseeable future? Unless you win then it doesn't matter afterall.

And I thought it was Liverpool fans that went on about history? Yes, that Arsenal side will be remembered but the current side will play still play average football and keep letting you down. As I said to you before, we can't control how good City are, we can only be the best side we can be and we're a fantastic side that I enjoy watching.
That 1% is Man City though :p
Very possibly rob but you're very much part of the other 99%.

Caporegime
So again, you won't be watching Arsenal games (dog and duck cup aside) for the foreseeable future? Unless you win then it doesn't matter afterall.

And I thought it was Liverpool fans that went on about history? Yes, that Arsenal side will be remembered but the current side will play still play average football and keep letting you down. As I said to you before, we can't control how good City are, we can only be the best side we can be and we're a fantastic side that I enjoy watching.
I’ll still watch Arsenal games while we have a chance of winning something. You seem to forget, we’ve got a better chance of winning a major trophy than you have this year.

Caporegime

I’m not twisting anyone’s words, I haven’t insinuated your season was poor or unenjoyable, it’s been great watching your games even as a neutral, it’s just that supporters keep mentioning the points tally like it means something.

I think we’re actually in agreement that it isn’t binary like you were making it out to be with Rob, you can enjoy football and still be hugely disappointed at the end of a competition.

You know how football works and progress one season doesn’t guarantee it the next...

Caporegime
I’m not twisting anyone’s words, I haven’t insinuated your season was poor or unenjoyable, it’s been great watching your games even as a neutral, it’s just that supporters keep mentioning the points tally like it means something.

I think we’re actually in agreement that it isn’t binary like you were making it out to be with Rob, you can enjoy football and still be hugely disappointed at the end of a competition.

Points total indicates the amount of wins we’ve been getting, generally win=enjoyment. It’s a pretty standard link and easy way of articulating that ‘we do gud so fun to watch’

Yep hugely disappointing not to win but I’ll take it every day over the other seasons we’ve had recently :) it’s certainly better than sitting bitterly wanting a team you dislike to screw up so some UAE PR Club can walk the league with unlimited blood money (which regretfully I did previously)

Don
I’ll still watch Arsenal games while we have a chance of winning something. You seem to forget, we’ve got a better chance of winning a major trophy than you have this year.
Winning a competition that we were too good for you mean? And you haven't watched a League game for months? I think you're lying.

Of course our points total means something, it's a reflection of how good this side is. And unless I've missed something you've just been arguing with Purdy when all he's been talking about was how enjoyable watching this side has been.

Caporegime
Winning a competition that we were too good for you mean? And you haven't watched a League game for months? I think you're lying.

Of course our points total means something, it's a reflection of how good this side is. And unless I've missed something you've just been arguing with Purdy when all he's been talking about was how enjoyable watching this side has been.
I meant winning the race for top four :p Which we’ve ****** up the wall :(

And you’re not too good for the europa. If you’d finished fifth last year, I doubt you’d have said “We’re too good for that, we’re pulling out”

Back
Top Bottom