Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [8th - 10th November 2019]

Don
Ok now would you be happy if it was city who had scored from that situation as I wouldn't have been especially as the counter attack was started by a hand ball
To be clear, you're asking if I would be happy if Liverpool conceded a goal from a counter attack that begun with what was considered accidental handball? Obviously I wouldn't be happy with Liverpool conceding any goal but this rule around accidental handballs leading to goals is controversial enough already, to try and apply it 30 seconds before a goal has been scored, for a handball in the opposite penalty area, would be just mad. As with offsides, it has to be within the same phase of play and I don't think anybody could sensibly argue that Fabinho's strike was in the same phase of play as the handball incident - as soon as Liverpool break it would be a new phase of play and when City clear the initial attack, which Fabinho then scores from, it would be a 3rd phase of play.

As I said yesterday though, had the situation been on the other foot then I and most Liverpool fans would be ignoring the laws and screaming for a penalty just like all you City fans are ;)

Soldato
To be clear, you're asking if I would be happy if Liverpool conceded a goal from a counter attack that begun with what was considered accidental handball? Obviously I wouldn't be happy with Liverpool conceding any goal but this rule around accidental handballs leading to goals is controversial enough already, to try and apply it 30 seconds before a goal has been scored, for a handball in the opposite penalty area, would be just mad. As with offsides, it has to be within the same phase of play and I don't think anybody could sensibly argue that Fabinho's strike was in the same phase of play as the handball incident - as soon as Liverpool break it would be a new phase of play and when City clear the initial attack, which Fabinho then scores from, it would be a 3rd phase of play.

As I said yesterday though, had the situation been on the other foot then I and most Liverpool fans would be ignoring the laws and screaming for a penalty just like all you City fans are ;)
Yes that's what I was asking you at least your honest in your reply as I said I wouldn't be happy myself oh I'm not a city fan you know that lol I just think it was a shame the match will be remembered for controversy on another point it was a cracking finish

Don
Yes that's what I was asking you at least your honest in your reply as I said I wouldn't be happy myself oh I'm not a city fan you know that lol I just think it was a shame the match will be remembered for controversy on another point it was a cracking finish
If we look at the decisions, the game yesterday was no more controversial than the game at the Etihad last season when Kompany should have been sent off. It just appears more controversial because of the debate everybody has been having around VAR this season. The irony though being that without VAR we'd have still had the same outcome yesterday as Oliver and then the lino for the second goal made both the decisions themselves.

Soldato
If we look at the decisions, the game yesterday was no more controversial than the game at the Etihad last season when Kompany should have been sent off. It just appears more controversial because of the debate everybody has been having around VAR this season. The irony though being that without VAR we'd have still had the same outcome yesterday as Oliver and then the lino for the second goal made both the decisions themselves.
That I totally agree with so in all truth var is a waste of time at least a ref only gets one view

Associate
Wish people would shut up about City's defence today. They left out Cancelo, Otamendi and Mendy, £140m odd's worth of defenders.

True, it's their own fault the back ups aren't good enough. As soon as they got a couple of injuries to me it was clear the title was over for them. I said Liverpool would put 3 past them this week earlier in the thread, with such a shaky back line they can't rely on pounding more goals than they concede against top tier sides.

I said at the start of the year and I stand by it, Liverpool will win at a canter this year. City will have to sell off some of that crud at the back. I think like other seasons when they haven't been in contention they will fall away and probably not even finish 2nd. Then come again next year.

Don
Not just Pep's head that went yesterday, Sterlings' gone too. He's been dropped for the England game after he confronted Gomez on England duty :D

Don
You could see during the game yesterday and previous games, the reception he gets at Anfield gets to him. He lost his cool several times yesterday.

Associate
Apparently the other England players thought sterling was joking at first. Can't really blame them. Sterling trying to choke and fight Gomez is just so dumb. The little snake would lose that fight in about 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom