Greta Thunberg

Caporegime
If Greta had just told us Britain would get wetter as opposed to warmer I think more people would sign up,
February (worse since 1836) and now March multiple wasted weekend days, like today, France not much better no snow.

they did, consistently warn of precisely the climatic events that the UK has seen on the last few months

Soldato
Warm winds across the Atlantic always cause rain in this country. February March and April are traditionally wet, February often fall as snow. It is the 25 degree sunny March weather that is the outlier.

Anyway Greta needs to get on her yacht to Perth Australia where hundreds of planes fly daily to mines and wells full of people digging coal, iron ore, gold, nickel, silver and hydrocarbons. Not only extracting the stuff but using it too.

Soldato
touche - I saw bites of the bbc sharma australia tv show - 10% of Perth are English expats hgv driver on £60K ,
the rest jetting off to work on the rich mines - pity we only have coal.

Soldato
February was 92% wetter than normal with 32% less sunshine than average. The 25th of February was the wettest day with 2cm of rain in 24 hours, but still (thankfully) nowhere near the 5cm of 1990.

Rivers are overflowing their banks, irrigation ponds are ready to spill over and the farmers are pulling their hair out as their field are way too wet to use tractors.

Soldato
Rivers are overflowing their banks, irrigation ponds are ready to spill over and the farmers are pulling their hair out as their field are way too wet to use tractors.

Yep, all the drilling for spring wheat should have been done by now and it's getting to the end of the window to be able to do it and the fields still have pools of water in them.

Associate
February was 92% wetter than normal with 32% less sunshine than average. The 25th of February was the wettest day with 2cm of rain in 24 hours, but still (thankfully) nowhere near the 5cm of 1990.

I travelled down to Cambridge in mid-February by train, I was shocked along the way, never seen so many flooded fields and rivers breaking their banks, at one point both sides of the track was just water with trees sticking out.

Soldato
Flood plains working as expected then?

In all seriousness, the East of England is very flat, the flood plains which surround its rivers are big and the fields flooding is somewhat normal. The water will subside in a few weeks.

Associate
Flood plains working as expected then?

In all seriousness, the East of England is very flat, the flood plains which surround its rivers are big and the fields flooding is somewhat normal. The water will subside in a few weeks.
I'm not even close to been from down that way, yet alone a regular visit to the SE, so wouldn't know what is normal and what isn't, just something I took away from the train journey there and back.

Caporegime
The trouble with the milder but wetter winters is the knock on effect both major (affecting crops, mass flooding) and minor.

Minor ones that are effecting me - Ridiculously long grass in my garden that is too wet to cut. Midges/Gnats that bite were out in late February where I walk the dog - Usually you don't see them until April onwards.

Soldato
I'm not even close to been from down that way, yet alone a regular visit to the SE, so wouldn't know what is normal and what isn't, just something I took away from the train journey there and back.
Don’t get me wrong, the water is higher than a typical winter, it’s just not the highest it has ever been.

Soldato
crops - yes, lack of frost/warming will mess up the local apple trees again, not sure if that explains the biannual fruiting some show, probably more aphids/bugs too.

nearby fen roads having rain issues - A14 - 10Mar

When you envision a day trip to Newmarket, you might think of visiting the horseracing museum or spending a day at the races. A new attraction has been added to Tripadvisor's list of top attractions in Newmarket – and previous visitors advise bringing a wetsuit.

Cheeky motorists have created a Tripadvisor page dedicated to the 'Newmarket puddle' caused by flooding on the A14. The flooding has seen lane closures over the past few weeks with around five Olympic-sized swimming pools worth of water being pumped away.

Lanes two and three reopened on Thursday with a 40mph speed limit in place. A National Highways spokesperson apologised for any inconvenience caused by the closure and said the organisation aims to fully reopen the road as soon as possible.
what the eye doesn't see ... won't be able to see the pot-holes, but, you should have memorized them.

Soldato
If Greta had just told us Britain would get wetter as opposed to warmer I think more people would sign up,
February (worse since 1836) and now March multiple wasted weekend days, like today, France not much better no snow.
I'm not sure that would have worked, most of Britain learns the hard way, look at who we people voted for instead of who we should have had.
Then you have the people in power.

Soldato
e: tut had too few letters

The whole of the urban transport cycling to work thing breaks down, if it goes rainy ... but maybe the Dutch pioneered that problem.

Saturday was first cycle shorts day, but Sunday it was a gamble on the weather radar site for return trip from swim pool - driving there half defeats the point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom