Greta Thunberg

Soldato
I don't. Many media outlets have used her as a figurehead while doing so, but that's not the same thing. They could have used someone else, anyone else, but the novelty of an adolescent being given messiah status and treated as a world leader but without any responsibility and being allowed to throw tantrums and berate everyone (including people who are actually doing anything relevant) is a gift for the media. She hasn't done anything to bring "huge awareness" herself. She's not even any good at public speaking. This forum has a higher standard of public speaking than she does.

There are many people who've done more for environmental issues than she has, many of whom are amongst the people she's berating for being the wrong age. She has little understanding of the subject and offers no solutions to any part of any of the problems. Her biggest use is her age and sex, which people can use as a weapon against anyone who doesn't beatify her and give her credit for all the work done by other people (see this thread for dozens of examples).

You contradict yourself.

Yes, the media could have used somebody else, but they didn’t. She’s been given enormous coverage on the back of it, and I don’t see how you can say that with that hasn’t come huge awareness, as the issues have been widely reported alongside reports of her.

He age, adolescence, inexperience, lack of knowledge can all be criticised if you choose - but what cannot be denied is her actions - rightly or wrongly - have brought enormous coverage and attention to the subject of climate change and environmental concerns.

Soldato
But it's not changed anything. We already knew about these environmental problems and plans to deal with it are already in motion.

Nothing is going to happen overnight like she (and her entourage) seems to expect.

Caporegime
It's all about targeting young children, you aren't going to get a bunch of Justin Bieber fans to latch onto someone much older, another 10 years and you'll have a generation of young adults who were conditioned into the "Climate Emergency" from a young age and they won't remember all of the rubbish spouted this year about how we only a year or two left if we don't act now. We should call them the Greta Youth.

Soldato
It's all about targeting young children, you aren't going to get a bunch of Justin Bieber fans to latch onto someone much older, another 10 years and you'll have a generation of young adults who were conditioned into the "Climate Emergency" from a young age and they won't remember all of the rubbish spouted this year about how we only a year or two left if we don't act now. We should call them the Greta Youth.

Assuming she isn't involved in some kind of social media "scandal" and goes out of fashion.

This generation have their nickname for a reason.

Caporegime
Heightening awareness is not a ‘useless aim’. It’s only through awareness and support that meaningful political ‘doing’ can commence.
Awareness is only useful if it changes attitudes or viewpoints.

I don't believe she is doing so. As I said, she's mostly preaching to the converted.

I don't know of a single policy-making body that has been influenced by her. I don't know of a single individual who has made lifestyle changes because of her.

Awareness is not lacking - in general most people are either concerned about, or dismissive of, environmental concerns. I have yet to see anybody change sides because of Greta Thunberg.

It's the same as the 11-16 year olds on "climate strike". Upon seeing them, who is persuaded to do anything different in their live or make different decisions?

This is marketing/spin/PR and it's mostly empty and hollow. Although it's great for raising the profile of Team Thunberg (it's very successful marketing on that level), it fails to make any impact when viewed from through the lens of solving climate issues or changing attitudes toward them.

Caporegime
The reason why her not offering any solutions matters is the fact that solutions are what is needed. "heighten awareness" is just a modern way of saying "do nothing useful but pretend you are so you can feel good about it".
I think that's a large part of the problem.

People today think that by posting or sharing or re-tweeting something on social media, that they are helping a cause.

I think many people overestimate the "value" of such efforts. Most of social media is empty and hollow, and having your posts "liked" by thousands doesn't mean anyone is helping anyone.

Nobody is actually offering their services, their time, their money - it's just "like this if you are concerned about climate change". And it gets thousands of likes. And what has that done? Naff all.

Man of Honour
Awareness is only useful if it changes attitudes or viewpoints.

I don't believe she is doing so. As I said, she's mostly preaching to the converted.

I don't know of a single policy-making body that has been influenced by her. I don't know of a single individual who has made lifestyle changes because of her.

Awareness is not lacking - in general most people are either concerned about, or dismissive of, environmental concerns. I have yet to see anybody change sides because of Greta Thunberg.

It's the same as the 11-16 year olds on "climate strike". Upon seeing them, who is persuaded to do anything different in their live or make different decisions?

This is marketing/spin/PR and it's mostly empty and hollow. Although it's great for raising the profile of Team Thunberg (it's very successful marketing on that level), it fails to make any impact when viewed from through the lens of solving climate issues or changing attitudes toward them.
I see it as a long burn thing. What change do you reasonably / realistically anticipate she could have achieved (all things considered)? That is the yardstick by which she should be measured.

Caporegime
I see it as a long burn thing. What change do you reasonably / realistically anticipate she could have achieved (all things considered)? That is the yardstick by which she should be measured.
At best it's non-measurable.

At worst, due to the undeniably short-concentration-span and constant distraction people suffer from today, I'd anticipate the effect to be minimal.

Ten minutes after seeing her on the news they'll be watching Gavin and Stacy and have forgotten all about Greta Thunberg.

Man of Honour
At best it's non-measurable.

At worst, due to the undeniably short-concentration-span and constant distraction people suffer from today, I'd anticipate the effect to be minimal.

Ten minutes after seeing her on the news they'll be watching Gavin and Stacy and have forgotten all about Greta Thunberg.
That cliffhanger ending tho. How could they end it like that!!! :(

Man of Honour
Heightening awareness is not a ‘useless aim’. It’s only through awareness and support that meaningful political ‘doing’ can commence.

That's only the case if everyone is unaware. When people are already aware, "heightening awareness" serves no purpose. It rarely serves any purpose anyway, but it never serves any purpose when people are already aware.

Caporegime
This Guardian article from 2004 didn't age well:

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

(Source).

Back
Top Bottom