Grim Dawn - ARPG

Associate
new game from (well some of) the devs who developed Titan Quest now working as Crate Entertainment. Looking forward to this game, the screenies look pretty good. :)

Grim Dawn website

*edit* for those new here, the game is "content complete" as of today, (23/12/2015) in Build 29.
:)

EDIT as of 18/09/2017 - post #230
Expansion trailer just released along with price and rough release date, looking forward to it immensely. :)

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536398#post536398

EDIT from feb 2019 - post #356
Gameplay Trailer for the upcoming expansion. Can't come soon enough, love me some more Grim Dawn. :)

EDIT - some mod info from post #440 [B][U]@TheSwede[/U][/B] :)

So, started playing this a while ago again and thought I post some quality of life mods that I am using.

First one is an actually mod, the way Grim Dawn works you can only have one unless they been merged.

It is called Grim UI: X-Mod and expands the back pack space and the windows for the smuggler, blacksmiths, illusionist and of course your own character. Considering how much loot drops in Grim Dawn, for me this mod was a given one ! [REL] Grim UI over at Crate Forum

Then there is GD Stash, it can be used to do a lot of different things, including store items, craft new ones if you don't want to play the gamble in game by creating things there. It also makes it possible to changed a character from being recognized as played with a mod to a normal vanilla character so that you can, if you want to, use the Online GrimTools functions of showing of your character by uploading all the stats/armour etc. The GrimTool's website you can also check for monsters, items and keep an eye on your progress in the game, but most importantly, has a fully functional map over the game with everything covered. That is if you like maps outside of the game of course ! :p

Then there is Grim Internal, which has several good features, one of them being auto-pickup for all the components and you have a display with buff, money and monsterkill counter, i.e. Common, Champions, Hero, Boss and nemesis. And a loot more. A recent feature is you can remove all the fog like effects and make the game look much better and not washed out, as can be seen in this post over at Crate Forum; Is there a mod that remove fog in zones

And then we have the Rainbow Filter for Item Highlighting, which makes it SO much easier to know which green are the more special armor/weapon drops with better stats then normal ones. It's also have the text in color for the item information text. It can be changed to your own liking though.

Although I am using a expanded storage mod I realized a few days ago that it wont be enough for all the drops, if one want to save them since after all, you do have a shared stash between all your character so you can get a drop from character 1 that fists your second character much better etc. I ended up installing [Tool] Grim Dawn Item Assistant, which simply store all the items outside of the game, either in a save cloud or locally on your PC. Very easy to use, just follow the instructions and you be fine. :) It is also very easy to search for certain types of weapon or armor within the Item Assistant client, so highly recommended mod.

Lastly this is a tool I found just yesterday, which the creator made into a offline tool today since they wont be maintaining it after December this year. It shows you what components you need for any items you wish the blacksmith to make for you. And if you played the game you do know that towards the end there is some items that need a huge amount of resources to be made, this tool make it super easy to see what you need, but way more importantly, what you missing since it can check your stash in the game as to what you already own ! Link to the thread; [Site] Grim Dawn Relic Tool although it don't have much information so here is a link directly to the tool itself; GDCraft for offline use.

So, there is some mods that should make things easier for playing the game, although some of you might already be using these mods though ! :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok, so Build 29 is live and this makes the game "content complete" meaning you can now play the full game from start to finish including higher difficulties, higher character levels and LOADS more items. click the link to find all the detailed info.

unexpected for sure, was expecting after Christmas but super excited, 280hours gameplay and counting.

:D

Associate
OP
its all pretty much like titan quest, boss runs and monsters drop some of the items they are using, so if they use an epic/legendary item and u kill the monster, it will drop the item. :)

Associate
OP
Grabbed this earlier from G2A for ~£13 (use code WEST to get a bit more off), and it's pretty fun so far. I've played through Torchlight II a few times now and needed a slight change, but I'm glad this is still a loot-a-thon :p

I'm finding the small backback a bit restrictive - do people just not pick up low-level items, or do you just head back to the merchant more often?

there are npc quests that will increase the bag space. :)

Associate
OP
Looking through all the options for each class. I'm thinking about going either of these 3; Arcanist/Inquisitor, Arcanist/Occultist or Arcanist/Demolitionist.

Any thoughts on any of these? My idea for playstyle is to use magic as a primary for most damage but I also would love to wield guns for distance shooting also.

So far character build wise, I have the following stats:

Physique: 166
Cunning: 103
Spirit: 73

Should I start my character over to get more on cunning, so I can use guns or just continue from what I already have?

generally speaking its a bit like Diablo 2 with attribute points, enough cunning + physique for weapon + armour, spirit for jewellery/ magic offhand then everything else into physique for health, unless you decide to go mega crit and have plenty of hp, then left over into cunning for the extra offensive ability.

as for mastery options, honestly, pick anything that you think looks fun, most work well together, although people tend to stick to either gun skills or spells as apposed to merging them. that's not to say don't try it though. inquisitor would be a start though for elemental (magic?) gun procs. :)

Associate
OP
What does the orange glowy bit mean around the health bar? I know it decreases when attacked and eating food will put it back to full but what does it actually do?

It's called constitution and displays how much you can rapidly regen health once out of combat (aside from any regular hip regen), so once it's gone you can't rapidly regen health and can only use a health potion to increase your health again. :)

Associate
OP
Does this game make boss fights too easy? I just defeat Warden Krieg in Hidden Laboratory. I died a couple of times trying to keep my distance, however the game simply allows you to carry on the fight where you left off. So the health of bosses don't replenish while you regain full health. Sort of defeats the object of it being a boss fight.

they do gain some health back, like 10/15% ish i think. :)

Associate
OP
I completed the main story last night on my Cabalist and now im deep into the Expansion, currently lvl53 on a Pet build, have noticed my pets die a lot more now, the abundance of poison procs and spells etc from monsters absolutely wreaks total havoc with my pet skellies lol.

I have to say im enjoying the expansion content, its a lot tougher, ive died more times in 3 hrs of expansion play than the previous 52 lvls worth of playtime combined. Im already thinking "oh god this is going to be rough in Elite/Ulti" haha

Kinda excited to see the end of the content but also dont want it to end, just remembered also that i havent done Port Valbury yet on this Cabalist, need to do that to chalk it off the list, i try and complete ALL content once on each difficulty, and other than the expansion stuff, Port Valbury is the only thing i have not finished on my current character.

yeh i found the skellies pretty squishy too so skipped the veteran play through of the expansion and carried on the main game to elite and ultimate hoping for some good drops and to get the devotion points. changed things around also going for full resists on pets as best as i can, currently level 86 in homestead on ultimate and they've held up much better.

this... http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gaEq7Z is where i am currently

one of these... http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWPylJZ http://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwRAmzV is what im aiming for with maybe some changes to skills, most likely the first one.

:)

Associate
OP
Think I'm addicted to rolling alts. Can't seem to get one above 30 before I get the itch and start over.

i've got 32 at all kinds of levels. comes in handy having so much storage space on them now, i tend to shift gear that i could use onto whichever character it might be useful on, which is where pretty much each character came from, find a piece of gear and oh, i could make xyz build. :p

Back
Top Bottom