Grim Dawn - ARPG

Soldato
I've just got The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut from Humble Bundle, which I'm quite enjoying. How do the two games compare? Pretty interested in this also.

Grim dawn is superior in every way to the Helsing games. Infact, I'd go as far as to say any aRPG player must have this game in their collection and even if you don't like aRPG's buy it anyway.

Soldato
Have an 85 Warborn Sword and Board Commando that i had been playing, the minute the expansion dropped though i started a new Necromancer, havent looked at any guilds and using only self found stuff, although i have cheated by buying faction scrolls to help boost his faction gain as he levels :)

So far i whacked 16 points into Skeles and the rest have gone into channeled drain spell, gear is a mixture of yellows and greens and im absolutely destroying stuff with 5 assorted skeles running havoc, its absolutely marvelous stuff :)

Going to look at Occultist to grab the hound from that and Bysmiels pet bonuses, pets feel just right, super damage but squishy except the dude with the shield :) just need to pickup some skills that let me interact as at the moment the channeled drain spell chews through my mana too fast and doesnt feel massively powerful, so im tempted to take the points out of it and maybe drop them in to Occultist and get Curse of Frailty to pull mobs with onto my undead legion :)

Loving this expansion and ive not even seen the new content yet lol

Associate
Grim dawn is superior in every way to the Helsing games. Infact, I'd go as far as to say any aRPG player must have this game in their collection and even if you don't like aRPG's buy it anyway.

yea I truly enjoy it, L70 atm with a tactician.
2h slamming, no idea what it be when I reach 100.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
My duel wielding illusionist hit 20 last night. Really really good fun, trying not to spend any points atm as really unsure on the cunning requirements for the pistols.

Tending to laydown the big blue protection/buff and just shoot fixed and watch the crits fly.

It is just utterly utterly brilliant game, so much customisation and each class play so different it is almost endless repeat-ability. As above not even touched the new map content yet.

This game should be in everyone collection, it is that good. Irrespective of genre.

Soldato
Theory crafted a new Reaper (Nightblade / Necromancer) overall it may be a bit squishy, but it has a ton of Lifesteal and devotions that support giving lots of health back, it probably runs the risk of getting 1 shotted as well lol, but im going to see if i can level it up anyhow

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2BDjJZA

Love the fact this game has so many ways you can make a character.

Soldato
Picked this up and it's been great so far! Up to level 9 at the moment. I've been trying to evenly distribute my skill points though, but mostly I use a two handed weapon. I need more cunning though as I now feel I'd like to use a gun.

Soldato
Picked this up and it's been great so far! Up to level 9 at the moment. I've been trying to evenly distribute my skill points though, but mostly I use a two handed weapon. I need more cunning though as I now feel I'd like to use a gun.

What class did you pick for 2H? Shaman works very well for a 2H build, Demo works well with 2H rifles as well.

Soldato
@Spacedeck - There is an NPC at Devils crossing, in the prison part top right who for 'bits' will reset your skill points as many times as you want.

Very helpful for testing out builds and the skills they have.

Associate
Dying a lot in the new expansion on a 2h warder build that felt pretty tanky before, idk if I should go for the new higher armour rating green gear & drop my old purples, resists are pretty much maxed.

Soldato
@Spacedeck - There is an NPC at Devils crossing, in the prison part top right who for 'bits' will reset your skill points as many times as you want.

Very helpful for testing out builds and the skills they have.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

What class did you pick for 2H? Shaman works very well for a 2H build, Demo works well with 2H rifles as well.

I didn't get to choose a class? The games tutorial hasn't prompted or asked me to select a class, so I'm not sure.

Soldato
What level are you @Spacedeck ? If you press (S) you bring up the skill/class screen were you put points into the skills you want. At level 10 you open up your second class choice which opens up a plethora of options.

You always start off basic with no class until you hit level 2.

Associate
@eekfek lol, just checked and I haven't got a 1st or 2nd class. I just hit level 14 too.

If I wanted to go down the magic route, what would be best?

lot of options, depends on your playstyle, sorcerer, warlord, purifier etc..with two classes the synergy can be awesome or a bit meh depending what class mastery choice you make.
grim dawns forum is a nice place to read up on such

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Associate
Thanks, will keep that in mind.
Just heads up, you can not respec your attribute points (Physique, Cunning, Spirit) but you can respec your skill points (the skill tree)

I didn't get to choose a class? The games tutorial hasn't prompted or asked me to select a class, so I'm not sure.
You don't choose a class when you make a character. You choose a gender and that's about it. Once you start playing and level up, you get to choose your first "class". Then at lvl 10, you choose your second class. You end up choosing skills from 2 completely different skill trees.

For example if you pick Nightblade and Soldier, your class (mastery in Grim Dawn) is called Blademaster (quite popular btw). Necro plus Soldier is Death Knight, Arcanist plus occultist is Warlock. There is MANY combinations. Basically, you'll pick one mastery and build a character around a skill or two. Then you complement it with a secondary mastery to make it tick. There are a lot of fun combinations to play around with.

GD is a great game. Have been playing it since pre release and have had a great time with it. The fact that Crate keep working on the game and churning out new content is great.

Oh and the optimisations in the latest patch are great, the game no longer tanks for me even in the busiest of scenarios.

Associate
You don't choose a class when you make a character. You choose a gender and that's about it. Once you start playing and level up, you get to choose your first "class". Then at lvl 10, you choose your second class. You end up choosing skills from 2 completely different skill trees.

For example if you pick Nightblade and Soldier, your class (mastery in Grim Dawn) is called Blademaster (quite popular btw). Necro plus Soldier is Death Knight, Arcanist plus occultist is Warlock. There is MANY combinations. Basically, you'll pick one mastery and build a character around a skill or two. Then you complement it with a secondary mastery to make it tick. There are a lot of fun combinations to play around with.

GD is a great game. Have been playing it since pre release and have had a great time with it. The fact that Crate keep working on the game and churning out new content is great.

Oh and the optimisations in the latest patch are great, the game no longer tanks for me even in the busiest of scenarios.

To add, here is possible combinations with 2 masteries
https://grimdawn.gamepedia.com/Masteries

Back
Top Bottom