Grimsvotn volcano erupts in Iceland

Most flights today seem to be cancelled. I'm due to fly south tomorrow, not sure it's going to happen now!

Apparently re-opening sometime this afternoon, but who knows.eek

It seems easyjet will allow moving the flight to another day or a refund. Success, in a way. Driving or train up seems like a fun 10hour+ journey :eek:

Last edited:
Ryanair flies through a high concentration cloud and says its planes ok!

I really do think they just make this up as they go along on http://www.flightradar24.com/ flight ICE774 from iceland has just flown all the way down the middle of Scotland, and many trans-atlantic flights continue to fly over Scotland and Ireland

BAW9271 seems to be out doing some testing, flying in circles near Aberdeen, left from Heathrow

Last edited:
Ryanair flies through a high concentration cloud and says its planes ok!

I really do think they just make this up as they go along on http://www.flightradar24.com/ flight ICE774 from iceland has just flown all the way down the middle of Scotland, and many trans-atlantic flights continue to fly over Scotland and Ireland

BAW9271 seems to be out doing some testing, flying in circles near Aberdeen, left from Heathrow

... and check out Aeroflot AFL322 which appears to have flown right through the high concentration area ... ???

Sky just interviewed O'Leary from Ryanair

He says the ash cloud is mythical and based on pure speculation from the met office charts, the engine and air frame manufacturers have said there would be no issues at these levels and that the CAA has gone back on it agreement to let airlines make the decisions

Sky just interviewed O'Leary from Ryanair

He says the ash cloud is mythical and based on pure speculation from the met office charts, the engine and air frame manufacturers have said there would be no issues at these levels and that the CAA has gone back on it agreement to let airlines make the decisions

That's just not true. As was agreed after last time there has to be certification from the engine manufacturers in order to fly in a Volcanic ash temporary danger area...which Ryanair DOES NOT HAVE!

Not my words...words of General Manager of London Terminal control.

Well BAW9271 appears to have finished its test flight over Abredeen - doing at least 8 full circuits @ 28,000 feet - and seems to be on its way back to Heathrow or maybe Edinburgh ...? I wonder how long it will be before we get a statement from BA?

I do remember Willie Walsh taking a plane up last year and coming back pronouncing that all was safe.

Well BAW9271 appears to have finished its test flight over Abredeen - doing at least 8 full circuits @ 28,000 feet - and seems to be on its way back to Heathrow or maybe Edinburgh ...? I wonder how long it will be before we get a statement from BA?

I do remember Willie Walsh taking a plane up last year and coming back pronouncing that all was safe.

Looks like its going to Manchester now, as you say i wonder how long or if it even comes out that this flight took place

Check out RYR03P I think Ryanair want to push this issue some more

Last edited:
Interesting that there has been plenty of activity at the Irish airports all morning whilst the Scottish ones have been closed, in what appears to be identical conditions? ie according to the coverage of the 'ash cloud' given on Flightradar24.com. Ok, that chart may not be definitive but there does seem to be a lack of consistency about all of this and that is what leads to a lot of the discontent and mistrust surely?

Back
Top Bottom