Grimsvotn volcano erupts in Iceland

Wow, this thread is full of useless jerks
For anyone who's concerned

Still, authorities say they don’t expect the kind of massive grounding of flights that followed last year’s eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland because systems and procedures have been improved since then and the cloud is currently not expected to move over continental Europe.
It would appear from a few news articles, that the cloud is not forecast to spread across Europe as was the case last year, however Scotland is being effect through precaution.

Had a meeting in work this morning (Swanwick) in which we were told that things could be effected in Scotland tomorrow and down here from Thursday.

The main difference is that last time he CAA said it was unsafe to fly, this time it is up to the airlines whether to fly or not provided the engine manufacturer has signed off on their engines that they are safe to fly through ash.

As you can imagine Rolls Royce, GE, Pratt and Whitney etc. are reluctant to do this as he blame would lay with them if the worst happened. As a result at the moment nobody has the certification to fly in one of these temporary volcanic ash danger zones.

Most flights today seem to be cancelled. I'm due to fly south tomorrow, not sure it's going to happen now!

Actually at the moment everything out of Glasgow after 2pm (with the exception of KLM) is still currently scheduled. Aberdeen I think is pretty much closed though?

[TW]Fox;19208356 said:
Thanks for letting us know
icon14.gif

And I thought you should know that my daughter went to visit the country of The Vatican on Monday.

Edinburgh Airport has took a beating.

I despise Edinburgh Airport, any threat of any issue they cant wait to close, they were a joke when the snow came in November/December while Glasgow remained open and had much less filghts cancelled,

Edinburgh is 15 minutes from my house but after that experience and the lack of information I swore never to book again from there if possible

Also this seems to be the graphics the news keep using
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html

This has epic windup potential...

Last time Dad and one of his salesman got to Bristol airport to fly up to Scotland on the morning it all kicked off. "All flights cancelled due to volcano" and everyone was just WTF, and the airport were useless. Obviously now we know about it, but then it was unheard of! Salesman was pretty grumpy as they were going to see a major transnational (as a new prospect), and it just happened to be that the CEO of it was over from the States and was gonna attend the meeting too (in the end they still got the work though).

Dad's over in the States now and this ones kicked off...

Let the winding up begin! :D

Back
Top Bottom