Grimsvotn volcano erupts in Iceland

Your right, i think EIN25G is heading for Edinburgh at a height of 23000ft should be flying right through the dense ash cloud, there is no consistency to this at all

May be a test flight

Last edited:
There are 3 levels of density, British flights are allowed to fly through low and medium but not high density.

As far as I'm aware high density ash isn't quite a huge problem but it's been over us at one point but just keep an eye out on live maps.

The airport cancelled flights as a precaution I believe, kind of silly.

That's just not true. As was agreed after last time there has to be certification from the engine manufacturers in order to fly in a Volcanic ash temporary danger area...which Ryanair DOES NOT HAVE!

Not my words...words of General Manager of London Terminal control.

Ben, did they mention the policy on staff being stuck abroad? I'm in the US at the minute and United have just issued a travel waiver for London bound flights so it's highly likely I might get stuck. I remember there was ambiguity around it last year.

Grimsvotn isn't the real problem, Katla is. The last bunch of times Eyfjallajökull has erupted, so has Katla not long thereafter. And it's pretty big.

YES, the problem is the volcano which hasn't erupted.
Well done with that.

It might be a problem some day, but not currently, so the problem isn't Katla.

That's just not true. As was agreed after last time there has to be certification from the engine manufacturers in order to fly in a Volcanic ash temporary danger area...which Ryanair DOES NOT HAVE!

Not my words...words of General Manager of London Terminal control.

It would appear ryanair submitted stuff to the CAA hours ago, after their test flights and the reports of both the engine and plane folks with it.
This should enable them to fly when the CAA go through the data and approve or reject the findings.
The CAA has taken hours to come to a decision, and in fact still hasn't, their latest announcement being they are still reviewing data.
No offense they've had ayear to get ready for this, it doesn't matter how much data they are sent, they should have their own systems in place, and have their own levels of acceptable ready, if they are incapable of producing quicker decisions when 6 hours of weather will change the conditions then they are an organisation simply not fit for purpose.

Sky just interviewed O'Leary from Ryanair

He says the ash cloud is mythical and based on pure speculation from the met office charts, the engine and air frame manufacturers have said there would be no issues at these levels and that the CAA has gone back on it agreement to let airlines make the decisions

He’ll do anything to get people on board. I wonder what excuse he’ll use when one goes down.

Grimsvotn isn't the real problem, Katla is. The last bunch of times Eyfjallajökull has erupted, so has Katla not long thereafter. And it's pretty big.

Assuming it does erupt, which is based on the pattern of the last 1,000 years...it might decide to have a cup of tea and a Kit Kat on this occasion.

If, buts and maybes won't help with the current Grimsvotn disruption ;) a watched volcano never erupts...sorry pot and boils

[TW]Fox;19211155 said:
10+ hours? I somehow doubt that.

Door to door it's just over 10 hours.

But if I were to travel into London then the journey from Kings X would only be 7h 23m. But there is a direct train from Kings X that does it in just over 7h.

Last edited:
He’ll do anything to get people on board. I wonder what excuse he’ll use when one goes down.

Well for one to go down it would probably have to routinely fly through thick ash for a sustained period of time repetitively. Any damage should have been picked up by airlines from additional inspections they should be carrying out

Not that im a fan but it is repeatedly pointed out that Ryanair have an excellent safety record, BA on the other hand.......

He also seems to be the only one to speak out and be seen to be doing something as opposed to the CAA who just seem to dither from hour to hour.
I also like the points made by others in the media that we wont ever actually know what effects this has on aircraft if we never fly when its an issue, we should be conducting much more test flights and inspections using instrumentation to find out how severe the effects may be

Instead we use the Met office who cant predict the weather on a weekly basis to essentially scaremonger the CAA into advising the closure or airspace or flight cancellations

I like the convenient gap in the cloud right over London, isn't that handy

Last edited:
Sky just interviewed O'Leary from Ryanair

He says the ash cloud is mythical and based on pure speculation from the met office charts, the engine and air frame manufacturers have said there would be no issues at these levels and that the CAA has gone back on it agreement to let airlines make the decisions

According to the BBC site, the Ryanair test flight didn't get anywhere near the CAA defined affected area, so usual O'Leary twaddle.

But a CAA spokesperson said: "The CAA can confirm that at no time did a Ryanair flight enter the notified area of high contamination ash over Scotland this morning."

It would appear ryanair submitted stuff to the CAA hours ago, after their test flights and the reports of both the engine and plane folks with it.
This should enable them to fly when the CAA go through the data and approve or reject the findings.
The CAA has taken hours to come to a decision, and in fact still hasn't, their latest announcement being they are still reviewing data.
No offense they've had ayear to get ready for this, it doesn't matter how much data they are sent, they should have their own systems in place, and have their own levels of acceptable ready, if they are incapable of producing quicker decisions when 6 hours of weather will change the conditions then they are an organisation simply not fit for purpose.

The CAA don't have to make a decision. The engines are either certified or they are not is my understanding. I was told yesterday in no uncertain terms, no UK carriers had certification.

The CAA do have their own levels/categories of ash and it is clearly defined.

Ryanair et al have also had a year to get prepared. Why didn't they get certification at the first opportunity.

BTW I do not work for the regulator (CAA) I work for NATS as a controller. The CAA are a non profit organisation that work to keep the skies safe and are generally very competent.

Ben, did they mention the policy on staff being stuck abroad? I'm in the US at the minute and United have just issued a travel waiver for London bound flights so it's highly likely I might get stuck. I remember there was ambiguity around it last year.

Nothing at all except Gary Gray mentioned himself being stuck in Egypt this time last year. If you're stuck you're stuck, I wouldn't worry...it'll go down as involuntary absence I would imagine. I got stuck in Italy because a B.A. plane went tech on us. It went down as involuntary absence. To date the only absence (half day) in 12.5 years in NATS. :)

This BA plane has been flying around in the so-called 'ash cloud' all day today. It flew up from Heathrow this morninig and spent a couple of hours or so flying around Aberdeen airport @ 28,000 feet and then went back to Manchester, It has since taken off from Manchester and flown to Newcastle Airport @ 10,000 feet. It is now heading towards Glasgow Airport @ 10,000 feet. It's obviously test flying - but it's also obviously ok. Meanwhile thousands of travellers have their lives disrupted / holidays ruined. I'm no fan of O' Leary but he might just have a point this time?

tf3.jpg

This BA plane has been flying around in the so-called 'ash cloud' all day today. It flew up from Heathrow this morninig and spent a couple of hours or so flying around Aberdeen airport @ 28,000 feet and then went back to Manchester, It has since taken off from Manchester and flown to Newcastle Airport @ 10,000 feet. It is now heading towards Glasgow Airport @ 10,000 feet. It's obviously test flying - but it's also obviously ok. Meanwhile thousands of travellers have their lives disrupted / holidays ruined. I'm no fan of O' Leary but he might just have a point this time?

You don't take chances with things like this, too many lives at stake.

Back
Top Bottom