Growing Chillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I had some noodles about almost a week ago. I thought id make a chilli salsa thingy for to add to it to spice it up a notch as i normally do.

I have a hand blender bought recently so used this. I had 1 jalapeno chopped then thrown in the beaker, 2 green not ripe cherry toms they would been ok i thought, little light vinegar somit else probably but forgot now.

So blended it up. Was going well but omg the smell was incredible. The chilli was extremely overpowering. Almost made me gasp for clean air a few times lol.

Great chillies tho i been growing, just had a stir-fry with one and was yum. :)

Soldato
Still gutting though I bet D! I would be knowing the work that it's taken to get mine even to where they are lol

Some updates on mine. The naga's are starting to really jump up and more than anything fill out nicely.
24092009872.jpg

24092009871.jpg

crap pics of this one but compared to how it was it's doing well I think. Any progress is nice!!
24092009873.jpg

The other little one is doing OK as well and starting to fill out.

24092009874.jpg

Couple of my nagas and the above as well as you can see the newly planted scotch bonnets and birds eyes that are in that tray. Only went in a couple of days ago so hoping I'll get some sprouting next week sometime.

That is all!

Associate
garylouden 828#
What variety are they? They look the same as mine.

My chili flowers stopped growing but I noticed the plant was becoming very leafy, which I put down to using houseplant soil instead of a growbag. The last couple of days it has been sunny and the chilies are now turning red and there are now some flower buds!

Soldato
Not so much about the chillis for me its just growing em, i mean i doubt id eat em all or ill have diaoreha for the next few years lol but its just a nice hobby growing stuff on the windowcills. I do more than chillies, toms, basil, parsley, radish, peppers.

Associate
I have been meaning to post in this thread for a while. This is my first year growing and I started late so most of my plants are bought in rather than grown from seed. Got a nice selection of hot varieties from the Bennington Chilli Festival. The Plants are kept in a greenhouse on our allotment.

Orange Habanero

IMG_4103.jpg

This was sold as Antillias Caribbean but I'm not convinced.

IMG_4104.jpg

Morich Naga

IMG_4105.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

IMG_4106.jpg

Hot 2003

IMG_4107.jpg

Etna F1

IMG_4108.jpg

Nasu

IMG_4109.jpg

I have 15 plants in total this year and aim to at least double that next year.

Soldato
OP
Well I can safely report that my Naga chilli oil is stupendous!

It was made with Naga chillies bought from Tesco and then dried in an oven a while ago. I used a white wine vinegar boil to increase the Chilli pH acidity before placing the chillis into the small bottle and then pouring in the boiling veggie oil before storing in the fridge for ageing.

I used some just to fry the chicken for store Jalfrezi sauce and the heat has gone up nicely (it's a source I've had before) - not as high as the Naga king prawn red curry but just right.

Yum :)

Soldato
I've got some chillies growing in the garden, I think they're Bird's Eyes. They started off green and were supposed to turn red if left on the plant for long enough but they're turning black instead. Has anyone else had this? Do you think they'll still be OK to eat? (The black ones feel as smooth and firm as the green ones)

Associate
I have a Royal Black which ripens green > black > red. I also have an unknown annum that an Italian chap at the allotments gave me which has turned black, I am unsure if it will ripen to red. I might try one at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom