1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing Chillies

Discussion in 'GD Archive' started by NickK, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickK

Capodecina

I can't tell between the species (especially the close ones) until the chillies appear :(

I have pencilled in Chilli Cheesy bread for friday if the chillies ripen, or alternatively as it;s only 8 days to my birthday I may just hold off and let them ripen completely. The Nagas are starting to look angry, bright orange with some redness..

2. NickK

Capodecina

Photo just now - the strong light (400W Sodium HPS) is making them slightly less red than they are under a normal bulb but they're getting angrier by the hour:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. platypus

Caporegime

Any one got a link to growing daily use chillis for a beginner? I'm not a fan of mega-hot foods.

4. NickK

Capodecina

Chillis Galore is a good site with an active mature forum with both professional and first time growers alike from all parts of the world.

The majority of chillies are a simple case of germinate then pot, place in the right spot and then just water/feed as needed. They look after themselves pretty much.

You can get almost cold peppers and chillies such as NuMex variety (specifically grown for flavour not heat and only 800 SHU, Jalapenos are 8-20K) which will grow as a small plant in a pot on the kitchen window.

5. platypus

Caporegime

Bought four varieties, one super hot to see!

6. neilw

Hitman

I've been reading this threat but havn't posted at all.

Should I cut back my chilli plant for the winter? If so how should I do it.

This is my Office Scotch bonet. I have another at home in the conservatory. Don't think I'll cut back my office plant as its still prodcuing Flowers and Chillis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drying Process in a sunny window

[​IMG]

And the Finsihed Product (HOT)

[​IMG]

7. platypus

Caporegime

Wow, awesome neil!

8. NickK

Capodecina

Awesome bonnets! If you have air conditioned office windows then the dehumidification helps with the drying process too.

I will cut the nagas back once they've got through the fruiting and had time to store some nutrients, so probably around the start of November. At which point I'll cut the tops back to the base stem and plonk them on the window which should put them into a winter mood (cold and reduction in light).

The some experts often cut the rootball back too and place them into a smaller pot. The effect is to reduce the water requirements and to a certain degree change the soil when repotted in spring.

Personally I'm going to leave the roots as it will need a large enough pot to insulate and keep warm. I'll also put a clear plastic bag over the top to reduce cold draughts etc.

9. neilw

Hitman

Cheers. The plant loves it there. South facing Window and a constant 23 Degrees with the aircon.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  10. randomshenans

Capodecina

Is the winter pruning back a must? I've got mine in my room on the window sill but the temps in there are always quite warm as the boiler sits underneath. Is this something that has to be done for the flowering cycle or can you plough on through?
    The above looks mint for an office plant! Is that just watering? Or do you feed as well?

11. neilw

Hitman

Just water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I've not given it any feed for ages. I'm always foretting to bring it in with me. Last week i though it had fisnished for the season, but its covered in flower buds again now.

Do Scotch bonet go red? I've left a yellow on the plant for weeks and its not turned.

12. NickK

Capodecina

Probably depends a little on the species, there seems to be many variants of Scotch Bonnets.

13. NickK

Capodecina

I have decided that tomorrow will be Chilli Harvest Day!

Activities I have planned:
    1) Brew beer in celebration!
    2) Make cheesy Chilli Bread using a fresh Dorset.
    3) Deseed chillies and dry seeds for next year.
    4) Force dry chillies to make chilli powder.
    5) Prepare plants for over wintering.

Only thing is the plant has gone nuts and has just trebled it's chilli output but I need to get the plants ready for winter (and a house inspection) :(

14. DavidMarq

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

Today's harvest, the alleged Antillais Caribbean at the top, a few Cayenne Peppers, a couple of Super Chillies, 4 Scotch Bonnet and a few Orange Habs bottom right.

I still have all the plants in the greenhouse whilst the weather stays mild, I have had to put the heater on 4 or 5 times at night so far when the temperature threatened to drop below 5 C.

I may chance another week keeping the plants in the greenhouse before I bring the plants home that I am going to over-winter.

15. NickK

Capodecina

Ok, I missed friday's harvest date - will be doing this tomorrow! I just want to leave them on the plants as long as possible so that the seeds are jammed packed with energy.
    I've noted a little droop due to the cold nights as the house heating isn't on yet.

I have also planned the beer too but that's a separate thread.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  16. garylouden

Gangster

I thought my chillis were starting to slow down or even die and then i noticed this today. I have 1 red chilli on each of my cayenne pepper plants.

These were green 2 days ago when i watered them, they colour very fast :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Deluxe1

Soldato

Ive got a few bags of dried crushed / flaked nagas if anyone wants a bag?

First two people to reply i'll send some to.

18. Karl

Mobster

Yes please!

Would you like a few quid for postage?

19. Deluxe1

Soldato

Drop me a message via my trust with your addy and i'll pop some in the post.

20. krooton

Caporegime

OMG, I got my first flower!

Bit late in the year, but my room is warm.

2 other flowers will bud soon, hopefully before the first pegs it, and I can pollinate them, yay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.