Growing Chillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
David that Bonnet looks great!

Some updated pics of mine, though no where near the above!! One day...
04102009883.jpg

04102009884.jpg

04102009885.jpg

04102009887.jpg

04102009890.jpg

04102009889.jpg

Sorry about the crap pics, the light is awful!

Associate
David that Bonnet looks great!

Some updated pics of mine, though no where near the above!! One day...

Just made a lamb curry with the Bonnet pod and it was fantastic, tried a bit raw first to gauge the heat and it was hotter than my Orange Habs.

Your plants look very healthy, just coming to flower a bit late. I am in the same position with my Morich Naga, it is just starting to set fruit. I going to over-winter it with the hope of a bumper crop next year.

Soldato
Hey,

Annoyingly I can't find my camera battery, but I was hoping that from these poor photos someone might tell me what chillies I have grown!

Image454.jpg

These little green guys are quite hot and skinny.

Image455.jpg

These fat ones grow upwards and have a real nice flavour but not really much heat.

-Thanks!

Soldato
OP
With my limited knowledge - Cayenne by the looks of it.

Proof will be in the eating later - cayenne has a distinctive taste.

Associate
I think I have reached the end of the season, although there are about 20 green chillies in my plastic greenhouse I have just harvested the ripe Dorset nagas.

2lmsxop.jpg

I am currently boiling onions, garlic and ginger ( the smell is staggering :D ) to prepare my massala, these are going in it, then the sauce is frozen. This should give me about six portions of curry cooking sauce.

2urw5zb.jpg

Associate
Not tried my jalapenos yet, they've been growing for months. They're about 2-3 inches long and some still have the little spike in them.

Should i try one? :)

Soldato
Just made a lamb curry with the Bonnet pod and it was fantastic, tried a bit raw first to gauge the heat and it was hotter than my Orange Habs.

Your plants look very healthy, just coming to flower a bit late. I am in the same position with my Morich Naga, it is just starting to set fruit. I going to over-winter it with the hope of a bumper crop next year.

Yea, don't think I'll get too much out of them this year, but really trying to get them to a strong position to be able to fruit well next year. I can't wait for my naga's to be in a position to start, I have 4 plants of Naga's all of which are really different depending on where they have been sitting etc. so they're really sensitive it seems!!

Soldato
Been using the Fruit off my 'Sainsburys Medium Hot' Chillies for a couple of weeks now, they definately taste better than the shop bought origionals and it has to be better for them to have travelled 10m from my living room than a few thousand miles from North Africa.

I plan to keep the producing as long as possible into the winter and then trim back and over winter the healthiest looking plants in hope of a bumper crop next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
massala, these are going in it,

Chicken Naga Massala - could be quite the surprise for those expecting Tikka Massala :D

My Nagas are still deep dark green, the other plants have given up flowering now and I think they're starting to feel the cooling of autumn (although I think I have one new fruit setting in). The plan for a Chicken Naga-Jalfrezi and chilli-cheese bread, a small one for naga-ale and dry and grind the rest.

Associate
I just lifted my plants from the tray and noticed tiny white insects about the size of a - crawling about in a little bit of left over water. they seemed to run around and hop about......

Anyone have any idea what they are and how i could get rid of them, the plants seem healthy and i dont see any insects in my room or on the plant.

Soldato
my plants aren't doing too badly, I've even got some new plants sprouting up. More than i thought would pop up!

10102009898.jpg

These are either the birds eyes or the bonnets... too early to tell?
10102009899.jpg

that's the other one, that seems to have sprouted on it's own there! None of the others seem to be showing up at the mo.

10102009900.jpg

Starting to flower quite well now and chilli up!
10102009896.jpg

That one's still looking like it'll keep sprouting, think it's the feeding.

Anyone know what would cause this to the leaves?
10102009897.jpg

?

Soldato
OP
I just lifted my plants from the tray and noticed tiny white insects about the size of a - crawling about in a little bit of left over water. they seemed to run around and hop about......

Sounds like some form of whitefly but it could also be fungus gnats.

The ripening progress (left 9th, right 10th) of the same chilli photographed previously:
IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
Ok well im still in doubt over what kind of chilli's i have, i know 2 of my 5 plants are Cayenne but the other 3 im not sure of.

I found out that the pack i bought contained "Chilli de Cayenne, Barancio & Worldbeater" so maybe somone can help identify this plant as either Barancio or Worldbeater....

Chilli008.jpg

Associate
Ok well im still in doubt over what kind of chilli's i have, i know 2 of my 5 plants are Cayenne but the other 3 im not sure of.

I found out that the pack i bought contained "Chilli de Cayenne, Barancio & Worldbeater" so maybe somone can help identify this plant as either Barancio or Worldbeater....

Those leaves look identical to my Cayenne.

Associate
well i have 2 plants that seem to be cayenne and look nothing like these. The leaves on this plant are about the size of my palm and seem to curl inwards and the stem is a lot thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom