GSync not working on some games? Certain games look horrible.

Associate
Dota uses exclusive full screen, borderless window and windowed.

I've tried all 3, including messing around with disabling full screen optimisations. No change. It's weird because if I turn G-SYNC and V-SYNC off completely, the game runs like trash (same as the video, maybe worse).

I've always thought games without V-SYNC look stuttery to me, so I not sure if that's related though.

Also tried disabling steam and windows overlay, Vsync is also off in game.

Keeping the FPS at whatever I set the monitor HZ to is the only way I can keep it smooth. (e.g. 60fps at 60hz, 144fps at 144hz.) If it drops below even by 1-2 fps, it breaks.

Yes, if go under monitor Hz game go crazy.. i try to put vsync in game on and seen like better but not how when are at 165Hz.. you have lag/stuttering when some hero use skill? like spectre ulti, PL illusion, manta use?
You try to use troubleshotting of network, if give some error?
If you found the solution pls let me know!

Associate
OP
Yes, if go under monitor Hz game go crazy.. i try to put vsync in game on and seen like better but not how when are at 165Hz.. you have lag/stuttering when some hero use skill? like spectre ulti, PL illusion, manta use?

If anything causes it to go under my monitor's refresh rate (e.g. spectre ult, team fight etc) it starts stuttering. It isn't any specific ability.

I have both G-SYNC and V-SYNC set to ON in the Nvidia control panel. So it won't go above 144fps.

Let me know if you try anything or find out any differences between yours and your brother's pc. :)

I'm thinking of upgrading to Alder Lake when it comes out just to see if it fixes this issue, but want to try everything else first.

Associate
If anything causes it to go under my monitor's refresh rate (e.g. spectre ult, team fight etc) it starts stuttering. It isn't any specific ability.

I have both G-SYNC and V-SYNC set to ON in the Nvidia control panel. So it won't go above 144fps.

Let me know if you try anything or find out any differences between yours and your brother's pc. :)

I'm thinking of upgrading to Alder Lake when it comes out just to see if it fixes this issue, but want to try everything else first.

Both pc is new, maybe i see in this moment, my brother never update the nvidia driver, have 471 from august, possible nvidia driver are bugged or create some problem in dota 2 or bf5 in your case?
i have the 496 the last coming out

Associate
OP
Both pc is new, maybe i see in this moment, my brother never update the nvidia driver, have 471 from august, possible nvidia driver are bugged or create some problem in dota 2 or bf5 in your case?

I'm ignoring BF5 for now, I believe it's a different issue. More bothered about trying to fix Dota as I barely play BF5.

I've used old and new nvidia drivers with no change unfortunately. I've had the issue for a few years now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Which brand of GPUs are you using? MSI?

The other things I'm going to try are use my computer in a different location to rule out dodgy power to the pc.

Maybe worth trying swapping different components between yours and your brother's pc to see if anything changes? Understand if you wouldn't want to do that though :)

Last edited:
Associate
Which brand of GPUs are you using? MSI?

The other things I'm going to try are use my computer in a different location to rule out dodgy power to the pc.

Maybe worth trying swapping different components between yours and your brother's pc to see if anything changes? Understand if you wouldn't want to do that though :)
both are rtx 3080 gigabyte Oc, yes is in my idea to try swap some component to see if some change

Soldato
Easiest thing to swap would be the hard drives as that will instantly point to it being either hardware or software related.

Associate

The last I read about GSYNC (and it doesn't seem brilliantly documented), GSYNC should be on and VSYNC should be off (as GSYNC kinda includes VSYNC).

There's also some discussion on monitor forums about using RivaTuner to lock your fps to 3fps below the monitor refresh for the smoothest results, but I haven't read up on it in over a year so things might've changed.

Soldato
Without it, it goes above the refresh rate of the monitor and looks awful. The only time the game looks smooth is when it's locked at the refresh rate of the monitor.
@Matkinson
1. it shouldn't do that with sync on.off. iv'e gone 200 over my fresh rate with no issues however, i now days lock my FPS in Nvidia Control panel to my refresh rate

3D section
Max FPS:

its great for games that go to 500fps in menus & games that are low end

been using gsync since the gsync adapters & gone through 13 monitors in that time

vsync off, gsync on set max fps to 120(or your refresh rate) always feels the best & its cooler too :) (driver controls the FPS so you don't get weird bursts of heat)
EEqwQ4i.png

Associate
OP
@Matkinson
1. it shouldn't do that with sync on.off. iv'e gone 200 over my fresh rate with no issues however, i now days lock my FPS in Nvidia Control panel to my refresh rate

3D section
Max FPS:

its great for games that go to 500fps in menus & games that are low end

been using gsync since the gsync adapters & gone through 13 monitors in that time

vsync off, gsync on set max fps to 120(or your refresh rate) always feels the best & its cooler too :) (driver controls the FPS so you don't get weird bursts of heat)
EEqwQ4i.png

Using this method, it's just a tearing and stuttering all over the place. It's only in Dota I have this issue, so it makes no sense honestly. Any time Dota goes outside the refresh rate of my monitor, above or below, it just stutters and looks trash, which lead me to thinking it's a software issue, but i've tried reinstalling, deleting cloud data, reinstalling windows, nothing changes it.

Soldato
Using this method, it's just a tearing and stuttering all over the place. It's only in Dota I have this issue, so it makes no sense honestly. Any time Dota goes outside the refresh rate of my monitor, above or below, it just stutters and looks trash, which lead me to thinking it's a software issue, but i've tried reinstalling, deleting cloud data, reinstalling windows, nothing changes it.

then you either
* a bad coded game
OR terrible monitor
OR you not set adaptive sync on

Associate
OP
then you either
* a bad coded game
OR terrible monitor
OR you not set adaptive sync on

Exactly, the fact that it's Dota ONLY, implies it's Dota, but then seemingly nobody else on the planet has this issue. (perhaps also k4non82 in this thread)
Pro's wouldn't be playing if it was like this for them :p

I've used 3 different high refresh rate monitors as well, same thing...dota only.

Associate
OP
Bit of an update, I think I may know what it is...

Buggy CPU/Motherboard.

When I play anything where the CPU usage is above 80%, or a single core is doing a lot of work (dota) it starts doing it.

If I CPU limit myself in Red Dead Online, I can see it to some degree, not loads, but 100fps and low GPU usage feels a fair bit worse than cranking up the graphics and running at say 60-70fps. Again, only seems to be on a mouse which is odd, I guess controller movement is slower though so maybe is masked by that?

This sort of explains to me why battlefield 5 online immediately feels terrible (but feeling great with a controller which throws me off a bit)

I've also noticed if I play BF5 practice range, no stuttering at all, implying CPU again? I only get it on BF5 in multiplayer matches.

I've tried to replicate with other games, but can't get CPU high enough to really tell. Company of Heroes 2 feels a similar thing, but then CPU and GPU usage are both sub 50%.

I've got another PSU lying around, might try that out to see if its a power thing (pretty sure I've already tried this PSU, but no harm trying again)

If that doesn't work, I might buy a B550 board to see if that makes a difference as it's cheaper than a CPU change.

EDIT - Tested a 80+ plat PSU...No difference. Losing my sanity over this lol, can't tell what I'm even seeing anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom