GSync not working on some games? Certain games look horrible.

Associate
OP
I've noticed when I bump up the CPU usage, say by running another game in the background to stress it, the FPS counter stays basically the same, but I get more stutter. When I do a CapframeX capture, the analysis shows as completely smooth! which is definitely not even close to correct.

Got a B550 mobo coming to see if that changes anything.

Last edited:
Associate
Bit of an update, I think I may know what it is...

Buggy CPU/Motherboard.

When I play anything where the CPU usage is above 80%, or a single core is doing a lot of work (dota) it starts doing it.

If I CPU limit myself in Red Dead Online, I can see it to some degree, not loads, but 100fps and low GPU usage feels a fair bit worse than cranking up the graphics and running at say 60-70fps. Again, only seems to be on a mouse which is odd, I guess controller movement is slower though so maybe is masked by that?

This sort of explains to me why battlefield 5 online immediately feels terrible (but feeling great with a controller which throws me off a bit)

I've also noticed if I play BF5 practice range, no stuttering at all, implying CPU again? I only get it on BF5 in multiplayer matches.

I've tried to replicate with other games, but can't get CPU high enough to really tell. Company of Heroes 2 feels a similar thing, but then CPU and GPU usage are both sub 50%.

I've got another PSU lying around, might try that out to see if its a power thing (pretty sure I've already tried this PSU, but no harm trying again)

If that doesn't work, I might buy a B550 board to see if that makes a difference as it's cheaper than a CPU change.

EDIT - Tested a 80+ plat PSU...No difference. Losing my sanity over this lol, can't tell what I'm even seeing anymore.

Download Prime95 and run a CPU stress test in the background. This will help eliminate the CPU from the equation. It has different tests - some for stressing it specifically to generate heat and it also has some other features for RAM testing IIRC.

It might even be a hard drive hardware problem - the intermittent nature of your issue might be caused by paging? It's been a while but I've seen similar things before.

Associate
OP
Download Prime95 and run a CPU stress test in the background. This will help eliminate the CPU from the equation. It has different tests - some for stressing it specifically to generate heat and it also has some other features for RAM testing IIRC.

It might even be a hard drive hardware problem - the intermittent nature of your issue might be caused by paging? It's been a while but I've seen similar things before.

Prime95 runs all good, HWinfo logs don't show any issues either.

I've tried swapping the games between drives, can look at paging as well. It's just not like a stutter that anyone else experiences, I've search the entire web with barely any luck.

Tried a B550 board today and it didn't make any difference either.

Here is a video I've found online with someone with seemingly the same issue. It's a constant stutter, not when anything gets high usage, or a drive starts up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT1kWeNzsTA

Also this (but this looks like a much milder version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrgkJ1l6mw&list=PL-0Y12V39j4OpOSH8T1z3Dint3QmsJ7HS&index=111

I've also tried using arrow keys on BF5 instead of the mouse to rule that out, and the arrow keys are even worse!

Associate
I've also tried using arrow keys on BF5 instead of the mouse to rule that out, and the arrow keys are even worse!
If the gamepad is fine, the mouse is bad and the keyboard is worse, I don't think GSync is the problem. Check the game options to see if there's a "use hardware mouse cursor" option, see if that makes a difference. Also try it with mouse trails enabled.

I'll keep an eye out for any other solutions, but I'm a bit stumped beyond that I'm afraid.

Associate
OP
Happens with BF2042 as well.

It seems to show itself on any CPU intensive games. Not necessarily high CPU usage, or even on one core, but any games that go above like 50% CPU usage. This is just a guess though as I can't see anything else it could be. I can play on potato graphics with 0 GPU usage and it still does it.

Man of Honour
Happens with BF2042 as well.

It seems to show itself on any CPU intensive games. Not necessarily high CPU usage, or even on one core, but any games that go above like 50% CPU usage. This is just a guess though as I can't see anything else it could be. I can play on potato graphics with 0 GPU usage and it still does it.

Battlefield games the nVidia control panel setting for pre-rendered frames (Low Latency Mode) and the in-game setting for render ahead limit can make a huge difference to how smoothly the game plays especially with G-Sync. For BF4 it is RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit - IIRC -1 works best for my setup.

If you are on an older system with an older OS than Windows 10 then disabling core parking also makes a huge difference to Battlefield games smoothness and performance.

Associate
OP
Battlefield games the nVidia control panel setting for pre-rendered frames (Low Latency Mode) and the in-game setting for render ahead limit can make a huge difference to how smoothly the game plays especially with G-Sync. For BF4 it is RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit - IIRC -1 works best for my setup.

If you are on an older system with an older OS than Windows 10 then disabling core parking also makes a huge difference to Battlefield games smoothness and performance.

I believe the Future Frame Rendering setting in game has some effect on this? It changes my FPS but not my unsmooth feeling unfortunately. I've also tried playing around with the Low Latency setting in the NVCP, no luck.

Currently downloading other games to see if I can replicate it on them such as Apex. I'm able to replicate it on strategy games, I can play on 720p lowest, or 1440p highest....same thing.

Everything points to the CPU, but I've just never heard of a CPU having these kind of issues before. If I don't find a fix, I'm going to buy the 12400 when it comes out and update this thread...hopefully with good news lol.

EDIT - Can't really replicate it in Apex...CPU usage is sub 50% though at all times.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If I set Prime95 to not quite 100% but 5 out of 6 cores, then play R6 (which doesn't experience this issue) you can now see it, fps drops to 100, but that should still feel smooth....you can see the weird stuttery frameyness going on.
If I play this game at 100fps by playing in 5k res, it still feels as smooth as 100fps should.

Still pointing at the CPU here...

Associate
If I set Prime95 to not quite 100% but 5 out of 6 cores, then play R6 (which doesn't experience this issue) you can now see it, fps drops to 100, but that should still feel smooth....you can see the weird stuttery frameyness going on.
If I play this game at 100fps by playing in 5k res, it still feels as smooth as 100fps should.

Still pointing at the CPU here...
for dota problem i this i a Dota 2 problem, if i do 165 fps is ok when some time go under, like 120 game seen like choping, but this is a problem of Hz/fps

Associate
OP
for dota problem i this i a Dota 2 problem, if i do 165 fps is ok when some time go under, like 120 game seen like choping, but this is a problem of Hz/fps

I think I see this with most games that are CPU bottlenecked now that I've looked for it, with Dota being the worst offender. Honestly I've no concrete idea what it could be. I've tested everything other than swapping CPU or GPU, and seeing as GPU usage is none existent when I see it, I'm not sure what else to try.

Associate
I think I see this with most games that are CPU bottlenecked now that I've looked for it, with Dota being the worst offender. Honestly I've no concrete idea what it could be. I've tested everything other than swapping CPU or GPU, and seeing as GPU usage is none existent when I see it, I'm not sure what else to try.
How many Hz have your monitor?

Associate
OP
try to set HZ to 90 from windows and see if game had the same problem

No I don't get it if I fix the game to 90hz or 75hz, but my game never drops to that low anyways. If I set it to 120hz, it will do it whenever it drops below this, and my theory is because it is the CPU usage spiking that is causing it. (mainly because I have no other theories :p)

Associate
OP
Just got myself a 5800x. Will update if it makes a difference, even if not, still happy with upgrading.

Also planning on replacing all SATA cables.

Definitely also getting it in Phasmophobia when CPU bound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom